Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Reservations About Buying A Vehicle From An Area That Snows

Old 11-18-2017, 07:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Reservations About Buying A Vehicle From An Area That Snows

Hello Ladies and Gents!

I'm asking this question here since I can relate with you guys easily the fact that I have an S2000. Help me out you guys!

The question is basically straight forward, if you are to buy a used vehicle from a city that snows, would this be an automatic red flag. We're just not talking about S2000s but just in general, for example SUVs or other cars.

So there's an SUV that I'm interested and it's currently at a dealership in Lindon Park, Utah. This vehicle is about 6 years old and has 72K miles. So, I'm sure it has seen snow.

I'm not dumb when it comes to cars but add snow, salt, and brine then this becomes my weakest point and that changes the story. Since this is not my forte, I wouldn't know what to look for, especially on matters like this. I live in a city where it is a miracle if you even see an inkling of snow.

Again, should I just really stay away from this and continue my search? I just really want to hear what you guys think.

P.s.
Hoping someone from Utah can chime in.

Thanks a bunch!
SS

Last edited by SaintS2000; 11-18-2017 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Utah
Old 11-18-2017, 07:48 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Some people drive an S2000 differently than they drive an SUV or minivan. SUVs and minivans are usually year round means of transportation. It matters not that the drivers live in a place that snows in the winter. Although an S2000 can be a DD, many use it for recreational or "fun" driving and that means they park it the garage for the winter. Not only is the S2000 marginal (with summer performance tires) in cold conditions but many will not bother with winter tire swap outs.

It means that some snow belt S2000s that you may be interested in may or may not be a rust bucket. It may be in terrific shape as a garage queen. You have to go and see. Personally, living in California, I did not have the time to waste on checking out cars like that so I only looked for cars that were from California or the Southwest. Mine came from Phoenix. Rust free. Corrosion free. No salt or brine has ever touched it.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:55 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

You answered wrong question (admittedly oddly worded). His basic question is, I want to buy a used suv. I don't live in a snow area. Is it ok to buy my 72k miles used suv from a place that gets snow?

All the stuff about S2k was basically trying to say, this is not really an S specific question.

I live in a snow area (not Utah, East coast). We drive used cars. We buy ised cars. Its mostly unavoidable, and mostly not an issue.

A vehicle exposed to road salt will have a lot more underbody corrosion. But its mostly superficial. The real world problems this can eventually cause is it becomes harder to remove rusted bolts when doing suspension and in some cases brake service. But its usually not that bad at all at just 72k miles.

The other thing that can happen, but its rare, is metal brake lines can rust through, and leak. Its a real pain to replace these. Again, not going to be an issue with mileage that low.

Lastly, aluminum engine exterior takes a beating. It'll be covered with spots of white powdery corrosion. It doesn't look good, but is usually mostly hidden by all those plastic covers they use these days.

Points of reference. I just bought a used '13 Lexus RX350 suv family cruiser with about that many miles, and engine and undercarriage still look pretty decent. I also bought a used winter car for myself, a '09 Infiniti G37xS, with 150k miles. Its really pretty rough underneath and in engine bay. But with the plastic.covers cleaned up that all looks really good now. But not looking forward to when I have to service it. As part of ppi I removed the plastic splash panel to check oil pressure (these engines have a weakness with an internal timing chain tensioner gasket, that can be detected by checking oil pressure). Each and every one of the metal hidden nut clips that hold it together was rusted seized, and had to break them off to remove panel. Took an hour just to remove stupid panel. There are even rusted bolts under the hood.

PO took real good care of appearance of rx, while Infiniti PO it seems like they never even washed it. This can make a big difference. The car wash under spray does a decent job of cleaning off the salt, and done frequently can prevent the worst of the corrosion.

So of they took good care of it, and with those few miles, it should be ok.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
You answered wrong question (admittedly oddly worded). His basic question is, I want to buy a used suv. I don't live in a snow area. Is it ok to buy my 72k miles used suv from a place that gets snow?

All the stuff about S2k was basically trying to say, this is not really an S specific question.

I live in a snow area (not Utah, East coast). We drive used cars. We buy ised cars. Its mostly unavoidable, and mostly not an issue.

A vehicle exposed to road salt will have a lot more underbody corrosion. But its mostly superficial. The real world problems this can eventually cause is it becomes harder to remove rusted bolts when doing suspension and in some cases brake service. But its usually not that bad at all at just 72k miles.

The other thing that can happen, but its rare, is metal brake lines can rust through, and leak. Its a real pain to replace these. Again, not going to be an issue with mileage that low.

Lastly, aluminum engine exterior takes a beating. It'll be covered with spots of white powdery corrosion. It doesn't look good, but is usually mostly hidden by all those plastic covers they use these days.

Points of reference. I just bought a used '13 Lexus RX350 suv family cruiser with about that many miles, and engine and undercarriage still look pretty decent. I also bought a used winter car for myself, a '09 Infiniti G37xS, with 150k miles. Its really pretty rough underneath and in engine bay. But with the plastic.covers cleaned up that all looks really good now. But not looking forward to when I have to service it. As part of ppi I removed the plastic splash panel to check oil pressure (these engines have a weakness with an internal timing chain tensioner gasket, that can be detected by checking oil pressure). Each and every one of the metal hidden nut clips that hold it together was rusted seized, and had to break them off to remove panel. Took an hour just to remove stupid panel. There are even rusted bolts under the hood.

PO took real good care of appearance of rx, while Infiniti PO it seems like they never even washed it. This can make a big difference. The car wash under spray does a decent job of cleaning off the salt, and done frequently can prevent the worst of the corrosion.

So of they took good care of it, and with those few miles, it should be ok.
Funny, this also happens to be a Lexus but it is the LX570. I almost pulled a trigger three weeks ago buying a 2017 brand new. But when I did the math, it is doable, yet still, my wife and I thought we weren't being practical. We just had our newborn so, we also factored him in this calculation.

So I wonder, knowing Lexus is truly reliable, and since this is a Lexus dealer, is it safe to assume that they have done a thorough inspection?

Last edited by SaintS2000; 11-18-2017 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:05 AM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy

Yep, I read the question too fast. However, after having several "airport beater" cars in Minneapolis (Corolla, Volare, AMC wagon) I can tell you corrosion was not superficial. I lost exhaust pipes. The rear floor behind the front seats went all the way through (kids remarked they could see the highway from the back seat) to the trunk rusting though to the point I had rubber mats and expanding foam to keep my luggage dry. I had to jack up the AMC to and the jack bent the frame and then went right through into the driver compartment.

In contrast my California beater car is a 94 T-bird without a hint of rust anywhere. None. Mechanical issues are the issue.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:50 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Depends on how long you see yourself keeping the vehicle. I just sold a 2005 Acura TSX that was just starting to show some rust issues. The doors were starting to drip rust at the seams. With proper care, it will probably hold up another year or two before it shows on the outside. It will be almost 20 years old at that point. The manufacturers have gotten much better at rust prevention.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:19 PM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

If you have the option buy it from a non snowy region.
Salt/snow/cold/ice is hard on vehicles. Cold makes rubber components brittle and break. Salt corodes. Plows beat the crap out of roads which become pot hole hell during winter months = worn suspension components.
So yes - I'd rather buy a vehicle from a non snowy region if possible... If I found the perfect deal/vehicle would I absolutely not buy it from a snowy region? No. Just do your due diligence in pre-inspection etc. Look for corrosion, worn suspension components, bushings that are warn etc.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:38 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Volare? AMC wagon? Most on this forum probably never seen one of those in person! We're both old guys!

Like someone else mentioned, they don't make 'em like they used to. Now there are federally mandated 80k mile exhaust requirements, which results in ss being used. There are galvanized body panels. You used to see 10 year old cars with rust eaten through the entire rocker, and parts of the doors, all the lower parts of fenders and quarters. Real death traps. Now its rare to see rust you can even poke a finger through. Still happens, but rare.

I recently sold an '01 A6 with 250k miles, not a spot of rust, and an '06 RX330 with 210k. In fact, in the past 15 years I can't recall a single body rust spot on any vehicle I've sold, even though none have ever had less than 200k, and at least 10 years old, if not more like 15.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:39 PM

I'll be on the look out and will continue to search and/or wait for one here in California!

Thanks you guys!
Old 11-20-2017, 09:13 PM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

Utah uses Salt & Brine to deice their roads. For me, that's not acceptable. My town in Illinois uses beet concentrate.

Quick Reply: Reservations About Buying A Vehicle From An Area That Snows