Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Restyled 2013 Civic At LA Autoshow

Old 12-04-2012, 06:29 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by MBHs2k
Saw this car at the LA auto show yesterday.... Definitely much nicer. The one on display was not an SI but was fully optioned out. I think it had leather, navigation, and other goodies. MSRP $24k. Could not believe it!! Who spend that inch on a civic!! Much rather have the new Dodge Dart lol
Then you'll definitely not want to buy the Ford Focus Hatchback for $27K (fully loaded) or Sedan for over $26K (fully loaded), not to mention the fully loaded Dart, at $27.9K.

The Civic is a virtual bargain when it's fully loaded, compared to the competition. Only Hyundai/Kia are comparable for price (Elantra is also $24K).
Old 12-04-2012, 06:40 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MBHs2k
Saw this car at the LA auto show yesterday.... Definitely much nicer. The one on display was not an SI but was fully optioned out. I think it had leather, navigation, and other goodies. MSRP $24k. Could not believe it!! Who spend that inch on a civic!! Much rather have the new Dodge Dart lol
A loaded Mazda 3i or 3s Grand Touring has an MSRP similar to that.....

I consider that to be a direct competitor.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:40 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Moddiction
Why lower the expectations when it appears they made the 2013 si how it should be? From what I have seen so far they met my expectations and many others with the redesign and improvements to almost everything.
From what I can see and read, the improvements for 2013 are not so dramatic that the 2012 qualifies to be considered the bastard of the Si family - as many Honda fans seem to think of it that way.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:49 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by rosario717
Originally Posted by MBHs2k' timestamp='1354601292' post='22188290

Hey id rather spend $25k on a loaded si than $27-30k for a tubaru frs/brz with no sunroof and prius wheels n tires lol
If you are any sort of auto enthusiast, you just cannot be serious. And nevermind those "Prius" tires are more performance oriented than what comes on the Si
Old 12-04-2012, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This emergency refresh should add a little bit more fun to the driving experience of the old Civic. But imo it will still be hard pressed to be better than the Focus, Dart, and Elantra. But people love Honda's reputation for reliability, and this refresh gives it a fighting chance against the competition, so I think it will be successful.

The Focus drives great, but is at the top of its game when you spend more on options.
The Elantra has great value, lots of base options, drives great, but others are a bit more fun.
The Dart, I think fits in the middle.

The Civic I think sits on that same middle ground as the Dart. The balance of price for standard options and (hopefully) newly fun driving experience puts it into a sweet spot. With Honda's reputation, the refreshed Civic will probably do well. I still prefer the Focus or Dart though personally.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Wasn't it already at the head of its class for 2012 even before the refresh?
Thought I read that somewhere. At least in sales or something.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is this better than the last gen Civic? Really I think the '07 or when ever it was launch is STILL better than this one.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Zoidberg
This emergency refresh should add a little bit more fun to the driving experience of the old Civic. But imo it will still be hard pressed to be better than the Focus, Dart, and Elantra. But people love Honda's reputation for reliability, and this refresh gives it a fighting chance against the competition, so I think it will be successful.

The Focus drives great, but is at the top of its game when you spend more on options.
The Elantra has great value, lots of base options, drives great, but others are a bit more fun.
The Dart, I think fits in the middle.

The Civic I think sits on that same middle ground as the Dart. The balance of price for standard options and (hopefully) newly fun driving experience puts it into a sweet spot. With Honda's reputation, the refreshed Civic will probably do well. I still prefer the Focus or Dart though personally.
In my opinion, the Elantra sucks to drive. It looks good and the interior is decent but it's hardly a fun car to drive and it doesn't exude quality, either. Initial impressions were good but long-term, people are finding them to generally be worse on gas than advertised and they definitely aren't as sporty or comfortable as the Civic.

The Focus is a great little car and I love the hatchback. However, with Ford's recent issues with the 1.6L EcoBoost catching on fire, that'd give me quite a bit of pause, plus it's the most expensive compact car in its class, which is significant considering these cars are generally not meant to option up like that (for most buyers). Real-world fuel economy isn't as high as the others in class, either. It just has great looks and driving dynamics on its side, which is perfect for some people.

The Dart is an unknown right now - not enough data to show if it can hit its fuel economy targets or how build quality and reliability are. I don't remotely think you can compare it to a Civic, though. Interior is pretty bland/bad (to me) and I don't think for a second that the Dodge mechanicals will be nearly as good as the Civic, not to mention the fuel economy. I haven't driven it but honestly, I don't care if it drives like an S2000 - the car itself doesn't warrant any hope that it'll be a great, reliable car in the long run. I have less faith in the Dart than virtually any other car in the class, except possibly a Kia Forte.

The Civic is already the best-selling compact in the US (by quite a margin) and this refresh is only going to make it sell even better.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by rockville
How is this better than the last gen Civic? Really I think the '07 or when ever it was launch is STILL better than this one.
The 2006-2011 (8th generation) models were better looking, in my opinion (my wife has one) and the interior looked/felt better than the 2012 model. I haven't sat in the 2013 model but I expect it'll be better, based on these pictures and general media reports.

HOWEVER, the 2012 actually drove better than the earlier models (8th generation) - less crashing over bumps, slightly less sporty but overall, a better compromise for the class, I think. It also gets better fuel economy, both per EPA ratings and, more importantly, in real life. The Civic was an overachiever in Consumer Reports fuel mileage testing, getting 8 mpg higher (on the highway) than the EPA testing said it should, if I remember correctly. I believe they got 47 mpg highway with it.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:01 AM

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by FearlessFife
From what I can see and read, the improvements for 2013 are not so dramatic that the 2012 qualifies to be considered the bastard of the Si family - as many Honda fans seem to think of it that way.
I have to disagree... if you look at the styling the '13 looks MUCH better than the '12. I would not have even considered a '12 based on the way they looked but now the '13 has me giving it some thought. Granted, underneath it all the changes may be minor, but looks go a long way imo and the '13 does make the '12 look rather pedestrian. Resale on the '12's will take a hit since people will want the newer design in the long run.

Quick Reply: Restyled 2013 Civic At LA Autoshow