S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   The Return of the Three Brothers (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/return-three-brothers-1170183/)

JonBoy 03-13-2017 01:52 PM

The Return of the Three Brothers

MR2, GT86, Supra: Toyota's three-strong sports car lineup is coming | Evo

Great news with the return of an "MR2-esque" mid-level sportscar to go along with the new Supra replacement. Throw 280-300hp in a mid-engine (heck, any-engined) Toyota with RWD and I'd be all over it, especially if they can keep the weight moderately down.

vader1 03-13-2017 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy (Post 24169685)
MR2, GT86, Supra: Toyota's three-strong sports car lineup is coming Evo

Great news with the return of an "MR2-esque" mid-level sportscar to go along with the new Supra replacement. Throw 280-300hp in a mid-engine (heck, any-engined) Toyota with RWD and I'd be all over it, especially if they can keep the weight moderately down.

I gotta wait to see the price and the package, but yeah, I'd add one to the garage if they do it right. I am a fan of the MR2 going back to the Cheese Wedge and owned a 91 turbo for a decade.

darcyw 03-13-2017 05:01 PM

"ladies and gentleman. Now taking over the top spot from all modern lexus' for the stupidest front grill for a car…drum roll please…the toyota SFR!"

I read the interview further about noise restrictions on cars after 2020- likely this refers to the japanese market- but loud pipes do save lives.

darcy

rwheelz 03-14-2017 09:58 AM

Very excited to see what the new MR2 offers. I currently own all 3 generations and recently purchased MR2 #16 (though it was hit on the front end and I just want the powertrain parts). They are fantastic cars for those who just love to drive, and the only cheap mid-engine car worth buying. I hope Toyota does it right!

TheDonEffect 03-14-2017 10:12 PM

Ehh, I mean yes in happy, but I cant help but be cautiously skeptical. Is the new Mr going to target the miata again in which case why would I buy one over the miata. The mk1 mr2 didn't have the miata to compete against and virtually all cars back then were slow. The sw20 mr2s were popular because rwd plus the stout 3sgte motor. The Mrs while I'm sure beloved by some was essentially a flop, should've put the 2zz motor in there. The 86 needs more power, the gti out guns it. And none of these cars were known to be bargains. The supra is going to be an over complicated, expensive machine that just like the nsx will forget what made the last generation legendary.
Ok so if toyota won't make a turbo gt86, then give me a toyota built traditional I4 built with toyota durability and low maitenance and make it stout. I'm essentially asking for a rwd RSX. Just makes everything easier.

WolfpackS2k 03-15-2017 05:56 AM

^Outside of the Toyota built engine, the BRZ is basically as close to a RWD RSX as we'll ever see. Sure it's not a hatchback but you can fold down the seats so it's utility isn't "horrible".

I HIGHLY doubt this 3 car lineup will ever materialize. All we ever hear about is how they don't have the funds to offer 2 engine options for the FT86 models, but we should think they'd give us another sports car altogether?

At this point my faith in any automaker to build a relatively powerful and light RWD car for an affordable price is at an all time low.

TheDonEffect 03-15-2017 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k (Post 24170738)
^Outside of the Toyota built engine, the BRZ is basically as close to a RWD RSX as we'll ever see. Sure it's not a hatchback but you can fold down the seats so it's utility isn't "horrible".

I HIGHLY doubt this 3 car lineup will ever materialize. All we ever hear about is how they don't have the funds to offer 2 engine options for the FT86 models, but we should think they'd give us another sports car altogether?

At this point my faith in any automaker to build a relatively powerful and light RWD car for an affordable price is at an all time low.

Bodywise, the 86s are perfect for me, sure a hatch/fast back would be better but I'm not mad at it. The engine for a number of reasons is a letdown, not fast for a 200hp engine because of the torque drop, it's not known to be absolutely bullet proof although it's not terrible in this respect, and it's not an overly easy engine to work on outside of oil changes. And I don't particularly like the character or the engine note either. The car is good despite its engine.

Yeah, I'm not getting all excited about having the three cars. The competition right now is fierce for my money, they're already talking about the mr2 being a hybrid so that tells me it's going to be more expensive from the cradle to the grave and heavy. If the supra ends up looking like their concepts which I saw in person in Paris, it's going to be a looker, arguably more of a looker than the nsx... but again just like the mr2 expensive heavy and nothing earth shattering. If the 86 comes out more or less with the same power, then I'd find no reason to buy one over the current gen.

Funny, all they had to say was we're developing a new 4 cylinder turbo to compete against, uh, everyone these days, and then in the same breath say we are going to make a new all toyota 86 and mr2 and will try to spread the cost of the new engine across as many applications as we can to keep costs down.

The old cars today that command a premium in the used car market, outside of highly collectible exotic type cars, cars that were sub 100k cars, the one thing they all have in common that keeps their support alive, their resale values strong, keep their fans happy, is that they're all known to be reliable, or offer a performance formula that's hard to achieve (looking at the FD). Making it a hybrid already tells us that it's going to have at least a battery, which is expensive, will wear out, and is heavy. So unless it makes an otherwise 160hp mr2 into a 300hp with 40mpg to boot! it's engineering for the sake of engineering. What made the prius so successful was that they wanted to show that hybrids can be more practical/economical than a corolla, but for sporty cars the priorities shift. NA is favored but turbos are accepted because of the benefit of the power and efficiency it brings vs. what it costs to add it. Maybe I'm old, but the hybrid in my mind still hasn't proven that benefit on "affordable" level cars. Sure in the P1, LaFerrari, 918, etc it works wonders with its instant throttle response, but looking at the NSX vs. its competition, you just wonder what's the point, is that car better than if honda just made the v6 turbo as badass as they could and skip all the motors and batteries? The answer is no, because the GTR, with its lower budget, heavier inherent design, does almsot everything that the nsx does while being introduced around the time the nsx started development. Tada said it himself, an all electric car isn't fun, points at Tesla and said see they go straight good... so then why should I buy into hybrid tech? Maybe I'm out of touch, is a full electric system heavier than a hybrid system given the same parameters?

rwheelz 03-15-2017 02:24 PM

I am hoping for a turbo 4 banger MR2 with an option for a hybrid powerplant (which I will not purchase!).

vader1 03-15-2017 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect (Post 24170832)
Funny, all they had to say was we're developing a new 4 cylinder turbo to compete against, uh, everyone these days, and then in the same breath say we are going to make a new all toyota 86 and mr2 and will try to spread the cost of the new engine across as many applications as we can to keep costs down.

They have a few lightweight platforms to choose from as a base, they have a few off the shelf transaxles, and 2.0 liter turbo engines in the Lexus lineup. You can pull a GM and make a sporty car are out practically all parts bin stuff and it does not have to be too expensive.

TheDonEffect 03-15-2017 09:55 PM

Ah forgot they had the is200t motor.