Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Reuniting my S2000 and NSX with a New Lift

Old 04-27-2018, 09:50 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Very cool. Not to sound like a creepy stalker, but can you post a shot (or PM me) of how the garage door tracks are laid out? We have a garage with a 10 foot ceiling and I kind of wonder what is possible with a lift. Is yours higher than ten feet?
Scroll through the pics in the above post, it shows the tracks and how they're installed.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:23 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Very cool. Not to sound like a creepy stalker, but can you post a shot (or PM me) of how the garage door tracks are laid out? We have a garage with a 10 foot ceiling and I kind of wonder what is possible with a lift. Is yours higher than ten feet?
While I'm no expert on lifts, I recently became interested in adding one but gave up after crunching some basic numbers for our 9'6" garage.

With 10' it can technically work, just depends on your layout and how much you'd like to be able to do below the car. Assuming it's a side-by-side garage (we have a 2-car tandem, which basically would make it a huge pain to maneuver around if even possible), with a shorter car like an S2000 which is 51" tall that would give you 69" underneath. Probably about 4" of the car's height is ground clearance which would provide extra room, but you probably want a few inches between the car's roof and your ceiling so that basically cancels it out. The wheels at full droop will probably hang maybe 8" below the body though, so keep that in mind.

So it probably depends on the car's height and your expectations. If the car is short and you don't need to walk under it all the time, it probably works. If the car is taller, like a sedan, it could be pretty tight esp. if the car going under it is also somewhat tall. For instance, my M3 is ~57" tall + 3" of gap to the ceiling + extra 4" of suspension droop would mean my tires would be about 56" off the ground with a 10' ceiling, so I couldn't really park another M3 below it. But two S2000s you could.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:01 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Scroll through the pics in the above post, it shows the tracks and how they're installed.
I still don't see it. I also looked at the link. I am interested to see how the door looks from inside the garage when it is open and there are cars on the lift. All the pics I see the view is from outside the garage, or the tracks are cut off at the top of the picture.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by white98ls

So it probably depends on the car's height and your expectations. If the car is short and you don't need to walk under it all the time, it probably works. If the car is taller, like a sedan, it could be pretty tight esp. if the car going under it is also somewhat tall. For instance, my M3 is ~57" tall + 3" of gap to the ceiling + extra 4" of suspension droop would mean my tires would be about 56" off the ground with a 10' ceiling, so I couldn't really park another M3 below it. But two S2000s you could.

If I were to do this it would be for most likely an ND Miata. I would just get a small lift for the third stall so I could get two cars in that slot during the winter. I don't mind having something sit out in the driveway in the spring/summer/fall especially because we are 150 yards off of the road and nobody comes back there, but winter seems a bit tough and $3,200 seems like a decent price for a solution for the single lift on their website. Plus it would make oil changes a breeze.

Last edited by vader1; 04-27-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:06 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I think I could make a lift work, but I would have to find different garage door tracks that lift the door higher, but not that far back or inward towards the back wall if you know what I mean. I am curious to the travel of the door when lifted because my tracks as they are would interfere with any lift, but they hang four to five feet from the ceiling. .
The other answers are valid. Here is some perspective from my build:
  • You typically use the same type of rails, but move them much closer to the ceiling. Mine sit about 4" from the ceiling. Instead of a standard lift, you use a jack shaft opener like the Liftmaster 8500. It sits on the side of the door vs. above it, so it takes up no space overhead. (It also has the advantage of being very quiet.)
  • Remember that the door goes up the wall before it turns and goes across the ceiling. So my 8' door only goes about 4' across my ceiling. If I had installed a 7' door, it would have only gone 3' across my ceiling.
  • Additionally, I planned my lights so they did not take up any head space that would be taken up by the cars when they were lifted. So they are in three rows: One row to the left of the lift, one row in the middle that is between the cars, and row one to the right.
  • Just about any lift company will have a calculator on their web site so you can input the heights of your cars to see if they will fit.
  • It was important for me that my wife and daughter be able to walk under the car, so I went with 12' ceilings. It could work with less if you are willing to stoop a bit when getting out of the lower car.
Here are some pics from my build. You can get much more detail from my build thread: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...d.php?t=368982

Old 04-28-2018, 12:05 PM

Many thanks. That explains everything and answers all my questions. I thought there might be some other type of opener that turned the spring instead of hanging from the cieling but had never seen one.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice combo with the s2k and nsx! which one do you like more?
Old 04-28-2018, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by HDNBenjamin
nice combo with the s2k and nsx! which one do you like more?
The S2000 is fun and free-revving. Truly the top of its class.

But the NSX is in another class. Best car I have ever owned, and I’ve owned many “fun” cars. Visibility is outstanding, all the torque I need, the thrill of VVT, and not a squeak after almost 130k miles. Drive one if you get the chance.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bamafan

The S2000 is fun and free-revving. Truly the top of its class.

But the NSX is in another class. Best car I have ever owned, and I’ve owned many “fun” cars. Visibility is outstanding, all the torque I need, the thrill of VVT, and not a squeak after almost 130k miles. Drive one if you get the chance.
Thanks! I want to add an NSX in the future. Not looking good as prices continue to increase lol.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by HDNBenjamin
Thanks! I want to add an NSX in the future. Not looking good as prices continue to increase lol.
I was fortunate. I saw prices starting to rise a few years ago and got my wife’s permission to buy one. Found this one in Dallas, flew down with my son, and we drove it back to Indianapolis. Great memories.

Quick Reply: Reuniting my S2000 and NSX with a New Lift