Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

review: Drove a Crossfire

Old 08-19-2004, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow review: Drove a Crossfire

My S is in the shop, getting the its top replaced, and as a rental I was given a Chrysler Crossfire Coupe. Here's my review:

The kind of crap some car companies churn out never ceases to amaze me.

The car does have some torque, I'll give them that. But that's about the only upside. Styling aside, as that's just personal opinion, this car is a cheap-feeling POS.

The whole center console is plastic, painted to look like metal. It feels incredibly cheap, and all the pieces and nobs are loose. The trim accents in the doors are made with the same high quality, hand molded recycled PVC pipe material. The seats are powered (which is a waste in such a small car, if you ask me they should have spent that $$ on brushed aluminum for the interior), but they're very uncomfortable. They are not "sports" seats, so you feel like you're sitting on a park bench. Also, the springs only have a couple of inches of travel, so over big bumps the seat actually bottoms out. admittedly, this could have been caused by a 400lb Enterprise rent-a-car customer that had the car before me, but I am not sure how then able toe gotten into it). Isn't it written in some ancient rule book, that the dominant gauge in a sports car should be the tach? In the Tach's place the crossfire ha s agiant spedo that goes to 160. This car shimmies at 90, who in their right mind would get it to 160? There's something to be said for "breaking the rules," but c'mon people, some of these rules are there for a reason. What's next, a giant temp guage dominating the dash?

Over 6' tall? This car is not for you. I clock my head almost every time getting in and out, and there's only an inch or 2 of clearance once I'm in the car. The steering wheel feels like it came from a Chrysler Town and Country minivan. It's simply massive, I feel like I'm driving a semi-truck.

The worst problem with the crossfire is that it isn't safe. First of all, it looks like it could handle pretty well, but in actuality its like curling: throw it into a turn, and then hope some people with the brushes rush out and make it go the right way.

Even worse is the fact that you can't see anything out the back of it. Some people complain about visibility in the S, but this Crossfire is unreal. You get about 5" of usable window back there, and the curve and angle of the glass distorts stuff even in that little space. Then, when you're going over 50mph, this little spoiler pops up and blocks off most of the rear window! So, just when you get going really fast, they make sure you can't see anything at all!

Also, I don't understand why they didn't paint that pop-up wing orange... Then it would be *really* easy for cops to see you're going over 50mph.

Yet another reminder of how lucky we are with our S2000s. Just can't wait to get mine back.

Dinnyin
Old 08-19-2004, 02:56 PM

Sounds like you really like the CrossFire. I haven't bothered to drive one and probably won't. I don't care for the appearance. The back end is too bobbed off, it seriously looks like the front half of a car only. And that spoiler thing just seems like some gimmick. I wonder if it has any performance value what so ever? I do hear they are making a more powerful Crossfire soon. Still, it isn't on my list of desirables.

Old 08-19-2004, 04:28 PM

I saw the review with Tommy Kendall on Speed channel for the SRT-6 version of the Crossfire and it was quite favorable and the numbers I've seen on it make it quite competitive with the E46 M3. I would be truly surprised if that is true but I think I might go drive one.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:41 PM

As one had made the comment before, the rear of the car resembles the backside of a dog when taking a dump.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like it
Old 08-19-2004, 10:29 PM

their is no manual for the srt
Old 08-20-2004, 02:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrForgetable,Aug 19 2004, 09:02 PM
I like it
I never drove one, but have sat in one.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:56 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Funny the Crossfire ain't cheap either. Think they cost more than a 300C (that's a thinker).

If the SRT crossfire is close to or equal to the M3 (I doubt it) there's still no way I'd ever take one over the M3. Come on. The M3 is understated, functional, and has resale value etc.. All of which the crossfire is lacking. And the SRT is near $50K (I believe). Houston we have a problem, seems the Z06 and the C6 both are better (far better) cars for that kind of money.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:36 AM

There are 8 crossfires at our local dealership. I would imagine you could get a pretty good deal on them!
Old 08-20-2004, 07:47 AM

Crossfire is an exceptional PoS. It even looks like dog taking a shit ... from the side. I looked at one before buying a Z and I was extremely disappointed. It looks like it got the old 3.2L V6 SLK engine (the new SLR has a very nice 3.5 V6), which is nice but is nothing special ... mated to craptastic Crysler tranny, suspension etc. Still the " best" part of the car is the trunk, just go to the dealer and open the trunk lid ... then close it ... ahahahaha.

Quick Reply: review: Drove a Crossfire