Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Rolled curb ramp, what do you use?

Old 06-11-2017, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rolled curb ramp, what do you use?

Just moved to a neighborhood with those rolled curbs where there is a nasty dip before your driveway, so I'm gonna need a curb ramp, most of my neighbors are using Bridjit for some reason, it is pricey and has a lot of writing on the ramp which I don't like, so wondering what are the good brands out there as an alternative?
this is what I'm talking about:
Old 06-11-2017, 05:12 PM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Those things are ugly. That said, you gotta do what you gotta do! Beats scraping the front lip every time you pull in or out. There is an aluminum version available for cheap at (I think) Harbor Freight.

How about two small hand-made cement ramps?
Old 06-12-2017, 06:15 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

I am thinking about bridgit myself, but right now I go in and out of the drive way REAL slow and as diagonal as I can get. The Cayman will scrape a tiny underbody piece of black plastic if I don't go at a crawl. I am so used to going slow it is not much of a big deal anymore.

My worry is that I will pay several hundred bucks for bridjit and they will ride away in the bed of someone's pickup in the middle of the night. I wish the makers of these things (here is your free $1,000 idea) would do custom painted stamping of your address on them in big letters so nobody would be tempted to run off with them. (And on both sides so they could not just be flipped over to hide the address) But you could always stencil it on yourself.

My driveway is only one car length wide so I just need two short ramps for each tire. I thought about getting a couple piece of steel plate maybe 1/4 inch thick a foot wide by two feet long, coating them with epoxy spray paint so they would not rust and lay them down at the end of the driveway. Probably cost less than $100. Not sure how nice it would look.

Last edited by vader1; 06-12-2017 at 06:22 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:15 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I have the same problem. $12 is 4 2x4s instead. I replace annually.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:03 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
I have the same problem. $12 is 4 2x4s instead. I replace annually.
i used to use 2x4s too,but I realized I coujd actually get my acr into the driveway going very sideways. Once I figured it out, I didn't need the wood anymore.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the 1st thing I did when moving into my new place is install the Bridjit. It helps a lot but I still go very slow and sideways out. So far it hasn't disappeared yet. I have the three piece and it's heavy and awkward, so it would take a couple of guys to lift it.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know each Bridjit piece weigh 50lb if you have 4 bolted together that's 200lb, not very easy for theft, but then again depends on the neighborhood
Old 06-14-2017, 10:17 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I made a ramp for our ridiculous driveway curb approach angles using a sheet of plywood and some 2x4 bracing underneath. I painted it gray-black using truck-bed coating and it blends pretty well with the pavement. The sheet of plywood ended up being the perfect size to bridge the gap from gutter to flat sidewalk area. It's lasted a year and it's hanging in there despite getting soaked by the gutter water when it rains (I don't drive the S2000 too much). The curb angle is so sharp that I scrape my stock Accord if I don't take it at an angle but with the ramp I don't need any angle with my lowered S2000 with a 5" splitter. It's ugly and the neighbors were curious about it, but no one has stolen it.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:55 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by thomsbrain
I made a ramp for our ridiculous driveway curb approach angles using a sheet of plywood and some 2x4 bracing underneath. I painted it gray-black using truck-bed coating and it blends pretty well with the pavement. The sheet of plywood ended up being the perfect size to bridge the gap from gutter to flat sidewalk area. It's lasted a year and it's hanging in there despite getting soaked by the gutter water when it rains (I don't drive the S2000 too much). The curb angle is so sharp that I scrape my stock Accord if I don't take it at an angle but with the ramp I don't need any angle with my lowered S2000 with a 5" splitter. It's ugly and the neighbors were curious about it, but no one has stolen it.
Sounds like a decent idea but if you use marine grade plywood or even green treated it might last years. Might try that out.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:38 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

My Corvette's radiator air dam scrapes on my driveway. It's annoying as hell. Eventually, I want to get a splitter for the Vette and I always just figured that I'd have to throw down some concrete and regrade my driveway. I'll look in to the product shown here.

Quick Reply: Rolled curb ramp, what do you use?