Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: Which car would you wind up with?
Golf R
27.20%
STi
8.80%
RS
24.00%
Type-R
40.00%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

RS or Type-R or Golf R or STi

Old 08-03-2017, 05:36 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

That's a tough call. I would probably want to drive all of them before making a choice. Without that luxury, however, I'm leaning towards the FoRS. I don't care how well the CTR gets around a track; for $35k I'm not paying for a FWD layout.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:11 AM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
That's a tough call. I would probably want to drive all of them before making a choice. Without that luxury, however, I'm leaning towards the FoRS. I don't care how well the CTR gets around a track; for $35k I'm not paying for a FWD layout.
Please drive one. And definitely try "drift" mode. Ford hyped up this mode for advertising purposes. Once you get through the bs, you'll figure out it's a power oversteer mode that makes the GKN Twinster AWD system into "RWD bias", IIRC, that mode sends 70% of power to the rear wheels. So if you are used to a RWD car, and hanging the tail out in turns, this drift mode allows you to do the same, only with the security of 30% of the power still going to front wheels. It is a blast to drive an AWD performance that you can turn into a RWD car at the push of a button. I guess drift mode sounds better than power oversteer mode or RWD mode. Marketing/advertising people are what they are. It is a very fun driver's car that many here would love as a DD due to the hatchback functionality.
The following users liked this post:
WolfpackS2k (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 09:54 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Focus RS....and I say that as a Golf R owner....

There is nothing bad about the Golf R, but there is nothing overwhelmingly awesome about it either. Its fast but lacks character. It's nice but lacks charm, it's very competent but it lacks thrill.

It's hard to describe it, but I am thinking about trading it in for something nonsensical.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:39 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Focus RS....and I say that as a Golf R owner....

There is nothing bad about the Golf R, but there is nothing overwhelmingly awesome about it either. Its fast but lacks character. It's nice but lacks charm, it's very competent but it lacks thrill.

It's hard to describe it, but I am thinking about trading it in for something nonsensical.
Appreciate your honesty. I actually voted for the Golf R, but it does seem kind of clinical without a big personality.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:51 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
What a load of bs. Have you even driven one, or do you just read some article and that's that?
Geez in normal suspension mode it's like an EVO or STI. In fact it's great for a DD. If it is "too rough" then so is a S2000 and a plethora of other vehicles including your BMW. The harder suspension setting on the car is a track setting. My goodness it's almost hard to read the bs.
And all of the others aren't that rough. You don't have to have a rough suspension to have competent handling.

Overheats at the track? More sensationalism from Honda's biggest fan. Cosmos didn't have any issues @ COTA. In fact most don't have any issues. Those that do, are on tight, twisty tracks, with no straight for it to cool. Even then it'll last for most of a session. Mishimoto is rolling out a PTU/RDU cooler very soon for the track rats.
Forgive those of us that do have smaller, twistier tracks and prefer to NOT have to modify the car to make it reliable on those courses.

CosmosM3 is ONE data point.

Interior is great, all controls are logically laid out. Sync 3 is excellent. It's not a luxury car and was never meant to be.
But the others are better (Golf R and Type R), which was my point. Ergonomics aren't the issue - it's how it looks and feels.

The torque vectoring rear clutch packs (GKN Twinster AWD system) are best in class. It will outhandle the rest. Phenomenal handling car, and awd system. Very impressed. So much so after a test drive through some turns I bought one, and I have never bought a domestic before. I owned a GR STI, that was stage 2 tuned by Cobb. The RS is better in every single way and as fast as my modded STI but with a full powertrain warranty. The RS is just another league handling wise. And the EPS is excellent, tons of road feel and communication.
Time will tell. I'm glad you're so confident that the RS will be faster and outhandle the rest, given that you haven't driven (for instance) a Type R just yet. Pot, kettle?

I really like the Golf R as well. The interior is really nice, to me very much on the level of an Audi. Stereo is also damn good for OEM. It is a great overall car, and a better DD than the RS. After driving both, the RS is much more of a driver's car. The Golf R only better in one area, DD. I beat on both cars the same week.
I don't race to work. I don't race to the grocery store. So the Golf R is the better car to me.

I can hear the whole forum's surprise and bewilderment.

And yet, I said that if I was leasing, I'd get the Golf R. I notice you didn't comment on that part because it doesn't match your canned tune that you always sing in these situations.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:32 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

So if you are used to a RWD car, and hanging the tail out in turns, this drift mode allows you to do the same, only with the security of 30% of the power still going to front wheels. It is a blast to drive an AWD performance that you can turn into a RWD car at the push of a button. I guess drift mode sounds better than power oversteer mode or RWD mode. Marketing/advertising people are what they are. It is a very fun driver's car that many here would love as a DD due to the hatchback functionality.
My reply is complete off-topic, but your statement here caught my attention and made me think of the NSX, which is advertised as having AWD due to the front electric motors but those motors provide a combined 72 hp at most, about 14% of the output of the gas engine... Perhaps that's one reason why a lot of NSX owners talk about how fun the NSX is to drive, and why a lot of the reviews show it doing smoky drifts. Anyway. Back to the hot hatch talk.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
And all of the others aren't that rough. You don't have to have a rough suspension to have competent handling.
It isn't rough. Track mode or sport suspension mode isn't rough either, it's "stiff' because it is a track setting. There are two suspension modes on the stalk. I already know, you haven't driven it. The RS in normal suspension mode is about as stiff as a STI but I don't see you crying about the STI because some journalist didn't write that for you to read

The funny thing is if it was softer you'd be reading a journalist write it was too soft, and not hard edged enough, and that's what you'd be repeating ad nauseam.

Meanwhile if it was the exact same car with a Honda logo on it you'd ... need an ER visit.

And

Forgive those of us that do have smaller, twistier tracks and prefer to NOT have to modify the car to make it reliable on those courses.

CosmosM3 is ONE data point.

right back at you. Anything I take to the track gets track prep. I just read of a guy today running at Putnam, and he beat on it all day. He runs a Mishimoto oil cooler and a little scoop vent for the RDU, not a single issue. But that track has a straight. It's not a big deal either way, there are mods for the car if all you have is a dinky track with no straight and you are buying specifically for track days. I doubt you even go to the track so I don't know why it's an even an issue. If you did go to the track you'd be on here blabbing about it all day. There are hundreds of data points of people abusing the car at the track, but none of those matter to your agenda

On the road it's not a concern. Anything with a straight not a concern. Tight dinky track, sure needs track prep. I've been to Cresson, Eagle's canyon, TWS, COTA, Laguna Seca, anything I've ever driven or ridden at the track needed some kind of prep. Water wetter, pads, tires, a cooler, always something. I bet you'd be a hoot at a track day. In the pits you'd be quoting magazine and website articles claiming to be the all knowing all seeing auto journalist who hasn't driven.

But the others are better (Golf R and Type R), which was my point. Ergonomics aren't the issue - it's how it looks and feels.

Better looking interior, yes I would agree there. Feel? ... I've driven 3/4 and they don't "feel" much different pushing a button or using your fingerprint on a touch screen.

Like I said, controls are excellent in it, excellently laid out, a beauty contest they will not win, it is still a Focus. But the RS does have Ford's Sync 3 system and it is the best of the bunch. If you are buying an AWD hot hatch and interior is your biggest concern, buy the Golf R. Few buy these cars for their luxury interiors but in that contest there is no doubt, the Golf R has an Audi interior. Same goes for the Golf R audio, it is stellar for a stock system. But read post #23 again. When I DROVE IT, my thoughts were exactly the same as his. It felt a little numb and sterile as a drivers' car, still a great car just a bit numb for 40k + TTL. STI and RS are more of a drivers car. But commuting and comfort, if those are high on the list, then the others don't compare to the VW. I had money in hand ready to purchase one, but left wanting after an extended test drive. I do miss that audio system though.

Time will tell. I'm glad you're so confident that the RS will be faster and outhandle the rest, given that you haven't driven (for instance) a Type R just yet. Pot, kettle?

I bought my car in February. Didn't the Hype R just hit the stealer lots? And btw, it's FWD, and isn't in the same class as the other 3. And whomever designed it is a big Michael Bay fan. I definitely would have drove it, but we get heaps of rain here, some ice, some snow, but heaps of rain and flood conditions every spring. I've got no use for a FWD performance car in those conditions because weather will turn it into an economy vehicle in a heartbeat. The Golf R, STI, and RS excel in inclement weather conditions. All 3 have rally roots, hence the AWD systems. Honda will learn too, they've already hinted at a future CTR AWD model, then they'd be really competing. For now they are in a class of one. A FWD car with 20" rims and 30 series tires may be the dumbest thing on that car. The RS has 19" 35 series tires and those are dumb too for reference sake, just not as bad as 20" 30 series. I've already read of folks with CTR's having to go back to the dealership to purchase new wheels after bending their OEM 20's on a pothole or road imperfection. That replacement cost they were none too happy about either. I even ditched my 19's for 18" and 40 series tires for the exact same reason. Not enough sidewall. Hilarious that VW, Ford, and even Subaru now with their 2018 STI wants to mount a 35 series tire on an AWD platform.

I don't race to work. I don't race to the grocery store. So the Golf R is the better car to me..

Because it's the best vehicle to buy groceries in? LMAO.

Nobody is racing other people to work either.

And yet, I said that if I was leasing, I'd get the Golf R. I notice you didn't comment on that part because it doesn't match your canned tune that you always sing in these situations.

You wouldn't be leasing it, that's why I didn't comment on it. You are stuck in etherwebz forum life, and completely detached from reality, and sense. You read stuff on the internet, pass it off as your own thought, like a lil sprite trying to fool someone with trickery

"Type R - This is what I would buy." Oh the startling revelations Jon. 2017, 2007, doesn't matter, same old

You aren't buying any of these cars and certainly not leasing them either.

Last edited by Saki GT; 08-09-2017 at 06:10 AM. Reason: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-talk-73/car-talk-rules-599914/
Old 08-03-2017, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by d1rtyc4r
Would you throw a tune on the Golf R during the lease?
Google JB4 + Golf R. You should see some threads on Vortex. It's a piggyback unit and would give you a tune and doesn't affect warranty.
If your interest is n you'd love that car. Lots of dev and lots of parts available. I've seen some just stupid times out of the thing, ridiculous for a 4 banger. That car has an iron lump, and the DSG will take more added power than the manual but now there are 6MT mods available. You-boob has a ton of videos of modded ones hauling serious ass at the strips. It's a very mod friendly car and the JB4 is safe as kittens.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a load of bs. Have you even driven one, or do you just read some article and that's that?
Geez in normal suspension mode it's like an EVO or STI. In fact it's great for a DD. If it is "too rough" then so is a S2000 and a plethora of other vehicles including your BMW. The harder suspension setting on the car is a track setting. My goodness it's almost hard to read the bs.
Overheats at the track? More sensationalism from Honda's biggest fan. Cosmos didn't have any issues @ COTA. In fact most don't have any issues. Those that do, are on tight, twisty tracks, with no straight for it to cool. Even then it'll last for most of a session. Mishimoto is rolling out a PTU/RDU cooler very soon for the track rats.
Actually just about every review of the RS talks about how rough it rides. If you don’t believe it, just watch how much the reviewers bounce up and down out of their seats lol. The EVO is very softly sprung for a 3400lb car, even softer than the S2k, so I’m not sure where you’re getting that from. Any of the other cars in the poll have a better ride on rough streets.

Also, people have complained about the RS diff overheating on the track, so you can’t be mad when someone brings it up. Not to mention issues with cracked blocks, blown headgaskets. Might not happen to every owner, but it’s at least worth knowing about if youre spending 40k...
Old 08-03-2017, 06:53 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

you guys argue a lot...

Anyways, The focus RS is annoyingly stiff. But I also think the new STi is annoyingly stiff. Especially on shitty roads. Also an s2000 is too stiff for a DD, at least for me now, 10 years ago it was fine lol. I also hate the RS interior. Yes i do rub my taint on the dashboard often, and it's not soft enough. It's a obvious difference in quality and layout from the Golf R.
But I do think the RS is the best performer of between the 3 (RS, R, & STi). If performance was my #1 choice, I'd pick the RS too.

Golf R was comfy enough for me.
Haven't driven the Type R yet, so can't speak on it. But FWD = No thanks.

Quick Reply: RS or Type-R or Golf R or STi