Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Rules of the Road Florida edition

Old 10-22-2012, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I travel a lot and have lived quite a few places. Everywhere I go I always hear these three things from the locals..

"Theres nothing to do around here..."
"The drivers here are the worst"
"The cops are really serious here.. don't speed, DUI, blah blah blah"

People in general are terrible drivers. When I lived in Texas it was the "Tex-it" - where you cut form far left lane to right. Traffic was horrible in and around San Antonio/Austin and half the people were uninsured and clueless. Here in Tampa, same thing. Traffic is terrible and people just seem unaware and distracted - cell phones, makeup, whatever. Also, I spent last summer in Provincetown and was horrified one morning on my way to catch a flight in Boston (was my first time leaving the island in a while) when I saw they opened up the emergency shoulders (this is legal?) on a two lane road to turn it into a 3... (between certain hours to relieve congestion). I was doing in the 80 range in the "middle lane" and getting passed left and right..

Lastly, when I was growing up in South Carolina they made the list for worst drivers in the country. I don't know who or how that came to be but everyone there was convinced it was the worst, whereas to me it didn't seem so bad.

So again, I just think most people suck at driving period. Americans aren't the best, but hardly the worst. Travel to any slightly "undeveloped" country or even Puerto Rico and you'll shit yourself.

The best you can do is maintain situational awareness, become more defensive and expect the worst at all times. Simple things like not trusting a turn signal when you're pulling out, giving a green light a second or two to ensure no one is blowing through a red light at an intersection - all little habits that can really help keep you (and your passengers) safe!

Oh, and for those interested there is an awesome book called "Traffic" by Tom Vanderbuilt that discusses the highway system in the US and more specifically driving habits and why/what "traffic" is.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:26 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have been to Brazil. US drivers have no balls. That is all.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Irs funny because its true. People have no common sense down here.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by JohnsS2000
Originally Posted by BEASTMODE' timestamp='1350739170' post='22096779
I can confirm the FL driving test is simply a small course in a parking lot sized area. At least it was back in 1999 when I got my license.
I think you can buy a 4 pack of Cracker Jack's and theyll be a good chance 1 of them will have a FL license in it.

I nearly spit out my drink laughing after reading this.

I think what makes drivers in Florida seems nuts is:

1. we have the highest concentration of old people, and snowbird season is dangerous.

2. People here are from all over the place with very different driving styles. The New Yorker and Bostonian are driving like mad men while the driver from Wisconsin is driving on a major highway for the first time ever. They don't mix very well.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:36 PM

I have lived all over the country and, so far my insurance rates have been highest in Little Rock, AR. I'll report on how FL rates soon...