Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Rumors of GM/Holden building BRZ fighter.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
The problem was the rear end they used, since the gas tank was so big, they had to design a top to sit on it. It was a pennypinching move that killed the car's usability.
To be fair, it's a big increase in cost to do dual tanks like the Corvette. That also assumes the Kappa's shorter wheelbase would even have the space for the saddle tanks.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:26 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Both the kappas and the cobalt ss were proven performers which is great if you're buying it to strip down as a track toy. But as a weekend toy or DD, those cars didn't have enough of the refinement and touches to compete against their rivals. The interior decisions, the cargo, styling, etc, all added up quickly.
But riddle me this though, considering toyota and subaru couldnt make the frs brz cost less than 24K with 200hp, almost 28K if you get the limited brz, I don't think chevy can make this car with the turbo and a wonderful interior for under 30K. The thing about it is that people tend to scrutinize cars they usually bash.
So with all that said, seeing what GM has been doing with their recent cars, I am somewhat optimistic, but not hopeful. Competition is always a good thing, perhaps it'll motivate toyota/subaru to bring the turbo, and keep the pricing honest.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:24 AM

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Both the kappas and the cobalt ss were proven performers which is great if you're buying it to strip down as a track toy. But as a weekend toy or DD, those cars didn't have enough of the refinement and touches to compete against their rivals. The interior decisions, the cargo, styling, etc, all added up quickly.
But riddle me this though, considering toyota and subaru couldnt make the frs brz cost less than 24K with 200hp, almost 28K if you get the limited brz, I don't think chevy can make this car with the turbo and a wonderful interior for under 30K. The thing about it is that people tend to scrutinize cars they usually bash.
So with all that said, seeing what GM has been doing with their recent cars, I am somewhat optimistic, but not hopeful. Competition is always a good thing, perhaps it'll motivate toyota/subaru to bring the turbo, and keep the pricing honest.
one thing to remember is that toyota and subaru were essentially starting from scratch with the BRZ offering. no recent history of a rwd front engine smaller car. GM can and does make potent engines that could be used, and has more experience with the RWD offerings. i bet it could be done
Old 04-24-2012, 06:27 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by rockville
Originally Posted by Saki GT' timestamp='1335204208' post='21634983
The problem was the rear end they used, since the gas tank was so big, they had to design a top to sit on it. It was a pennypinching move that killed the car's usability.
To be fair, it's a big increase in cost to do dual tanks like the Corvette. That also assumes the Kappa's shorter wheelbase would even have the space for the saddle tanks.
That and the passing of the fuel between the two is the devil.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:53 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by hatrickstu
Originally Posted by TheDonEffect' timestamp='1335237994' post='21636958
one thing to remember is that toyota and subaru were essentially starting from scratch with the BRZ offering. no recent history of a rwd front engine smaller car. GM can and does make potent engines that could be used, and has more experience with the RWD offerings. i bet it could be done

Very true, but subaru did use and engine off the shelf and iirc the brz/frs chassis is based on the impreza platform, but I do agree with your point. Anyway, but the thing to consider is that once GM focuses on making something for a budget, you can bet on the tonka tough interior. Not to say though that it;ll be any worse, but I think GM should perhaps take their time with this one and nail it. Glad that holden has a hand in it.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:48 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Hoping for the best, expecting something less...

I thought the exterior design of both the Solstice and Sky was very good, but the lack of utility and interiors sucked. Also, they rushed them to production and their platforms weren't adaptable to any other type of car. They *should* have developed a smallish, reasonably lightweight rwd/irs platform and made that the Solstice/Sky *and* the basis for the new Camaro. Instead, they killed Pontiac and Saturn (dumb, but another topic) and the orphans died with them, and we got a near-4000 lb. brick of a Camaro. BLEH.

GM has a lot to atone for...
Old 04-25-2012, 05:17 AM

BTW, in defense of the Kappa's narrowly focused chassis, it was inexpensive to develop. GM spent something like $800m to create the Kappas (R&D and tooling). Toyota spent $800m advertising the new Tundra for it's launch. As manufactures move towards highly flexible platforms the R&D costs go way up. Odds are Toyota and Subaru spent far more modifying the Impreza chassis than GM spent developing a new chassis.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by ZDan
Hoping for the best, expecting something less...

I thought the exterior design of both the Solstice and Sky was very good, but the lack of utility and interiors sucked. Also, they rushed them to production and their platforms weren't adaptable to any other type of car. They *should* have developed a smallish, reasonably lightweight rwd/irs platform and made that the Solstice/Sky *and* the basis for the new Camaro. Instead, they killed Pontiac and Saturn (dumb, but another topic) and the orphans died with them, and we got a near-4000 lb. brick of a Camaro. BLEH.

GM has a lot to atone for...
Remember that every time GM releases a car that is definitely a niche sports car, the haters come out of the woodwork. First they hate on it for existing, them they hate on it for being killed. What the haters will never grasp is these cars were always intended as low-volume samplers, not high volume long-term profit centers. And when they piss and moan instead of buying the car, the car goes away.

And seriously, other than the Sky what memorable or significant car ever wore the Saturn badge? Saturn was GM's appliance brand. It's gone? Ah, well.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
They might build one, but I doubt it will have any sort of real impact. American car manufacturers have shown us time and time again they don't really care about small cars, much less small sports cars.
Dude, have you not been paying attention through the years of reliance on SUV's, the economic crash, and the resulting bankruptcies? Yes, even Detroit has finally had the concept of a diverse and balanced product line beaten into their heads. Look at the new Ford Focus Fiesta and Fusion, the Chevy Cruze and Malibu, and the new Dodge Dart and Chrysler 200. Detroit is no longer selling embarrassment to entry level customers. Styling, power trains, and interiors are all very competitive now. They see the economy having an impact on buyer's choices as well as a younger demographic who just aren't that into cars unlike their baby boomer parents.

I give GM the benefit of the doubt. If the market is there, they can produce a competitive product.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:33 PM

i seen this in car and driver, found another concept also, i didnt know chevrolet was building an eclipse....

Quick Reply: Rumors of GM/Holden building BRZ fighter.