Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

rx8 vs s2000 handling

Old 08-08-2006, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rx8 vs s2000 handling

Guys, FYI, there is a long discussion about people comparing the handling of the S2000 vs RX8. I think it makes for some interesting reading:

rx8 discussion site link

Old 08-08-2006, 01:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are so many moronic statements in that thread I don't know where to start.

To me the RX-8 is a hodge podge of everyting in one car. It's an attempt to put a luxury car, sedan, and sports car together. But, I think they failed. When I drove it , I didn't get the feeling it was a sports car, it wasn't luxury, and it was barely practical. The 2 rear seats are good for short trips but I wouldn't want to be stuck there on a long roadtrip.

The engine feels like an electric sewing machine, you're always waiting for the power to come on but it never does. On the handling side, it understeers horribly, and you never get the feeling you can chuck it around unless by chuck you mean plowing straight through a turn. To top it off it looks like an alien spaceship.

It's a totally underwhelming car. Mazda can do better, I want to see the real sequel to the RX-7.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by pantyraider,Aug 8 2006, 01:44 PM
There are so many moronic statements in that thread I don't know where to start.

To me the RX-8 is a hodge podge of everyting in one car. It's an attempt to put a luxury car, sedan, and sports car together. But, I think they failed. When I drove it , I didn't get the feeling it was a sports car, it wasn't luxury, and it was barely practical. The 2 rear seats are good for short trips but I wouldn't want to be stuck there on a long roadtrip.

The engine feels like an electric sewing machine, you're always waiting for the power to come on but it never does. On the handling side, it understeers horribly, and you never get the feeling you can chuck it around unless by chuck you mean plowing straight through a turn. To top it off it looks like an alien spaceship.

It's a totally underwhelming car. Mazda can do better, I want to see the real sequel to the RX-7.

that's hilarious

I'm wait for the real sequel to the RX-7 myself, one of the most beautiful and capable sports car ever made.

i'd get one if they just re-release the original RX-7, i love it that much!
Old 08-08-2006, 01:55 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by addisonc,Aug 8 2006, 04:01 PM
Guys, FYI, there is a long discussion about people comparing the handling of the S2000 vs RX8. I think it makes for some interesting reading:

rx8 discussion site link
Old 08-08-2006, 01:59 PM

In the comparison between the 350z, S and rx-8, the RX-8 won.

...Because it is a better car.

J/K

They've grown on me, I want to drive one. But to me they seem like nothing special, and after hearing about their problems along with horrendous gas mileage, I could care less even if it "handles" better.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:25 PM

my brother is part of that discussion and frankly.. I don't understand what people don't get.

I could perhaps see the RX8 being compared to a 350Z, but a S2000? Dream on. They are engineered with completely different objectives in mind.

I couldn't believe some of the sense-less posting on that thread when I read some of it yesterday.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:28 PM

I drove one, and it was nice, smooth, and relatively agile, but a far cry from the S2000...slower, less nimble, and much less visceral experience (too smooth IMO). Could be a viable option if the 2 rear seats are a must (and for some reason you ruled out the STi, Evo, and other HP 4 doors), otherwise I'd take an S2000 anyday.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:38 PM

I've driven one, and I thought it was okay, though I didn't push it, nor do I remember much from it, except the clutch, brake and gas pedals were misaligned, hence I didn't like that aspect.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:26 PM

Wow. One month's worth of Stupid in just one post. Guess I'll have to wait a few days before I go into Street Encounters...
Old 08-08-2006, 03:57 PM

I was going to buy one. Was dead set on it, was sporty and yet somewhat practical. My roommate at the time had good connections at a local Mazda dealer, they let him bring one home. Truthfully, I really liked it. Til I took it around the neighborhood, walked around it for a few minutes, then burned myself on the center console. Major heat issues. Lack of torque at any rpm was a bummer, third degree burns on the right side of my right knee was a deal breaker.

Quick Reply: rx8 vs s2000 handling