Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

From a S2000 to a BMW M3...

Old 03-01-2007, 12:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking From a S2000 to a BMW M3...

I've been thinking long and hard about this...and I've been looking at trading in my S2000 for a M3. Don't get me wrong, I love my S2000 and I never thought of getting rid of it when I first got it... But time moves on and with things getting serious with my girlfriend. I want to get a more comfortable car that me and her can take on long road trips to TN, NY, GA, Ca, etc...

Over the years I seen a few S2000 owners move on to a M3 and I just wanted to know (if their still on here) was it worth it? would you do it again? are you happy with you decision?

I'll be looking at a SMG package one, that I can let my gf drive on long trips and such. But also of having something totally different aswell.

Also, for you guys that have test driven a M3 what did you guys think about it? I know I'm not looking for replacement for the S2000, if it was I'd be looking at a NSX or something. The M3 won't be doing much of what I did with my S2000. But I still think its going to be a nice, fun, faster car than my S2000. Anyways, tell me you experience with it...

I know most people will tell me to go out and drive one out for myself, but this isn't still a solid plan of mine and I hate going to dealerships and going to test drive a car that I'm not getting. I get a weird feeling for some reason when I go and not going to buy. So let me get some replies and hopefully by the end of next week or so I'll know if I'll be getting the car or not.

thanks guys
Old 03-01-2007, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey man... i dont know if you remember, but we met at the Gainsville Course a while ago... I have a BMW 330 Coupe and have driven a couple of E46 M3's... i have some friends here in Tampa that have them... I think itll be an even better car than your thinking now...

you will like it... its definitly not as raw or bare-bones as an S2K... its a luxury GT, that is also an excellant handling car.. make no mistake... there are MANY E46 M3's that are regularly auto-x'd and at the Sebring race track... they are excellant handling machine's... theyre extremely refined, luxurious napa leather... (if you get one with the adjustable side bolsters, your gonna love it... they can be adjusted to snug in right at your ribs like the s2k ... but more padded), it has room for 4 adults (5 people if needed), lots of interior room, decent trunk space, great safety, etc... the steering wheel and brakes are BMW hallmarks and are awesome...

drawback... you dont feel everything, less immediate, less of a race car, more of a GT car.. in fact, its the definition of Grand Touring, by most accounts... and a tremendous top end... 1:1 5th gear that'll run to 165...

now make sure the cars have the rod bearing recall performed... the engine and powertrain are rock solid... tranny is the same Getrag Type D that are in the Supra Turbo's... SMG itself has had multiple software patches applied to get it right... all new complex european cars, especially bmw/merc/etc with systems that tie everything together can have electrical problems... so unless your doing serious modifications, make sure you get one with a certified pre-owned 100K mile warranty... lower mileage cars ARE worth the premium, IMO...

PM me if you need more info...
Old 03-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lease a 335 instead.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

oh hey man, of course I remember you. thanks for your quick reply, I really hope its better than what I'm thinking about it. I wanted to know first before I start dreaming more and more about it and then getting sucked punched in the face when the M3 doesn't perform to what you make it out to be...

I'm trying to get myself out of the whole modding and track day stuff, because god, its too much funny and expensive lol. Trying to get through school and few years through work, then i'll be back in full effect with track days and stuff...

I'm on e46fantics and m3forums.com so I been doing a lot of research on it. And all of what you said I fell in love with lol. Its a nice car packed full of technology.

My price range will be in the 34-36k range so a low milage M3 wouldn't be too hard. Lowest I found was at 22k - highest I would go is high 30k miles.

Thanks for you help man, i'll PM you if I need anymore help with it.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:57 PM

excellent all around car. definitely more GT. i've never felt the car as a race/sports car but just a great sporty coupe. it has alota highway power, stuff that i can wring out the s2k at 100% and still be fall short. the m3 is heavy and from ur description, exactly what u r lookin for. its classy and sophisticated for a night out w/ the significant other.
it can get lost in a crowd in a place where there's alota bmw and 3 series. i think the thing u'll miss the most is the shifter. the m3 shifter is wack. its long and vague and the short shifter kit is better but hard as hell to shift and i almost always miss 3rd on the 1st try unless i focus really hard.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i just recently ditched my 2004 supercharged S2000 for an '05 SMG M3....i had them both for about 4 months....i hardly ever drove the S2000....it just sat there....not because it was a crappy car or anything, but because it didn't meet my needs on a daily basis.

i needed a back seat for the kids and the M3 has turned out to be the perfect compromise.

it's fast, quiet, handles reasonably well for its weight, full luxury (mine's loadad - no option missing). i bought a cab (with factory hardtop), but in hindsight shoulda bought a coupe....i've been driving S2000's for 6 years and was used to the lack of wind and buffeting and the M3 cab is horrible in both regards.

it's truly an awesome car (wind issue notwithstanding).
Old 03-01-2007, 01:38 PM

Must have disabled factory speed limiter .
Old 03-01-2007, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep the s2k. i made the jump and really miss the s2k. the m3 is obviously much faster, more comfortable on the highway, but its also a tank(i live in downtown charlotte). i miss driving a smaller car and dropping the top. nothing beats dropping down the top on a nice sunny summer night.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:14 PM

I'm just old school, but I'd recommend teaching your gf how to drive a manual and buy the 6-speed! It's too much fun of a car to let the computer row the gears for ya.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:52 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

i jsut want to add in short expense will not be your friend, all of what needs to be done on the bmw will cost more, the depreciation will also be more depending on how old the car is, and in return you have a really fun sedan or coupe where you can enjoy driving and take folks along..but the expense will be something to consider...also reliability, sure bmw makes a great car and honda's just seem to last a bit longer in most regards without major issues. the bmw is surely a car to lust after.

have you looked at a 2004 and newer acura tl 6 speed? i have one as my other car and have only one complaint....front wheel drive...but that is not enough to cancel the purchase and in wet weather it is better than rwd...and the hp is 270 and the electronics are wayyyyy better and it is after all a honda.

Quick Reply: From a S2000 to a BMW M3...