Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2000 to C6 GS

Old 05-02-2017, 09:17 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Ahh, how times have changed. I don't have to defends Vettes anymore on s2ki.
Right?!
Old 05-03-2017, 03:36 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Ahh, how times have changed. I don't have to defends Vettes anymore on s2ki.

OP, you need to drive one. They are an outstanding value for the money with proven and capable components. LS3 is basically bomb proof, rest of drivetrain, chassis, brakes, etc. are very solid. Very capable and good looking cars priced favorably nowadays. You couldn't go wrong if you wanted to try something different than your '01 S2000.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I drove my buddies C6 GS. I enjoyed it, but I felt like I was driving a pickup truck compared to the s2k. I didn't get to drive it in anger though, so it may get lighter on its feet and shrink around you as the speed builds.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having owned a standard C6 LS3 and now a C7 Z51 and still own a 01 S2000, I would go with a C7 if you can swing it. You won't miss the S2000. If you get the C6 GS you might have regrets. The C7 is much better than the C6. It feels much smaller and has more of the S2000's sold driving dynamics then the C6. Good luck with your choice.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Had an AP1, and several cars later moved to a 2008 LS3 Vette with LS3 and 6mt trans, now in a c6 z06

I get to throw an AP2 around in the canyons from time to time

The C6 feels much larger at first, not until you put it through its paces in tighter corners do you learn the car. That said it took me months to get used to my base C6. The Z06 to me was a pretty dramatic step up in terms of driving dynamics improvement - the car just overall feels much sharper, more focused and more responsive. The GS has a widebody too but it's heavier by about 100# IIRC

Needless to say the LSx engines have monstrous torque and the LS7 with the 7k rpm redline is a screamer. Still no vtec though. In corners the Vettes feel more stable and have more grip (stock vs stock vs stock in this comparo), but the S2000...man you put the top down and take it through REALLY twisty roads, and nothing short of maybe an Elise/Exige/Miata/Atom can match the fun factor. The C6Z is a nimble car for how long its wheel base is but the steering needs more input than the tighter steering of the s2000's, and the car just takes a bit more time to rotate...hard to beat physics. Ringing an AP1 to 9k rpm in tight twisties, braking into corners entries with heel-toe downshift rev-matches...hard to beat that experience. The Vettes are definitely more than competent enough but it is a different driving experience. The LS7 has so much torque off of idle that in the twisties it doesn't really matter what gear I'm in; I can be lazy but still go fast.

Both C6 variants are much more comfortable and plush than the s2000. I can actually hold a phone conversation on the freeway. The C6 also has a tremendous trunk that you can put probably more things in there than you think you can. The super long 6th gear means almost 30mpg if you cruise at 70-80mph on the freeway. I've driven from LA to San Jose in one tank before.

Definitely be mindful of the front bumper hitting rock stops when parking, I broke my C6's radiator support arms that way, and that puppy is aluminum so I basically had to get a new one to put it back on, it was a PITA to say the least

OP should definitely drive a Vette before deciding, only you know what you like / don't like. Try to find a local Carmax they offer test drives no questions asked. It'll probably be tougher finding a c6gs there though
Old 05-04-2017, 08:05 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by fusionchickenleg
Had an AP1, and several cars later moved to a 2008 LS3 Vette with LS3 and 6mt trans, now in a c6 z06

I get to throw an AP2 around in the canyons from time to time

The C6 feels much larger at first, not until you put it through its paces in tighter corners do you learn the car. That said it took me months to get used to my base C6. The Z06 to me was a pretty dramatic step up in terms of driving dynamics improvement - the car just overall feels much sharper, more focused and more responsive. The GS has a widebody too but it's heavier by about 100# IIRC

Needless to say the LSx engines have monstrous torque and the LS7 with the 7k rpm redline is a screamer. Still no vtec though. In corners the Vettes feel more stable and have more grip (stock vs stock vs stock in this comparo), but the S2000...man you put the top down and take it through REALLY twisty roads, and nothing short of maybe an Elise/Exige/Miata/Atom can match the fun factor. The C6Z is a nimble car for how long its wheel base is but the steering needs more input than the tighter steering of the s2000's, and the car just takes a bit more time to rotate...hard to beat physics. Ringing an AP1 to 9k rpm in tight twisties, braking into corners entries with heel-toe downshift rev-matches...hard to beat that experience. The Vettes are definitely more than competent enough but it is a different driving experience. The LS7 has so much torque off of idle that in the twisties it doesn't really matter what gear I'm in; I can be lazy but still go fast.

Both C6 variants are much more comfortable and plush than the s2000. I can actually hold a phone conversation on the freeway. The C6 also has a tremendous trunk that you can put probably more things in there than you think you can. The super long 6th gear means almost 30mpg if you cruise at 70-80mph on the freeway. I've driven from LA to San Jose in one tank before.

Definitely be mindful of the front bumper hitting rock stops when parking, I broke my C6's radiator support arms that way, and that puppy is aluminum so I basically had to get a new one to put it back on, it was a PITA to say the least

OP should definitely drive a Vette before deciding, only you know what you like / don't like. Try to find a local Carmax they offer test drives no questions asked. It'll probably be tougher finding a c6gs there though
Excellent write-up / analysis. This is truth.
Mine...

Old 05-05-2017, 08:32 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Thought about getting a C6Z years ago, one drive and knew it was not for me. Dang thing felt like it barely fit between the lines on the road.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Thought about getting a C6Z years ago, one drive and knew it was not for me. Dang thing felt like it barely fit between the lines on the road.
Yeah they feel like boats until you really get used to them, but with a garage like yours I don't think you really have a reason to. The things I would do to be able to drive a 997 gt3 in anger. Just sat in one with the engine running and even rowing through the gearbox felt special. A 997 c2s felt like the perfect size on the road and in the twisties. Can't imagine how a GT3 feels with everything dialed to 11
Old 05-07-2017, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can't swing a GS or Z06 make sure you at least get the LS3 and Z51 package. Whichever one you get change the shocks out to DRM Bilstens. They make huge difference!
Old 05-07-2017, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As always guys, excellent, first hand advice! Thanks.

Quick Reply: S2000 to C6 GS