Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2000 v Boxster S (road trip impressions)

Old 11-08-2012, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 v Boxster S (road trip impressions)

I know this topic has been beaten to death, and I'm sure there's many a review on this very site done by those far more knowledgeable on the topic than I. But here goes anyway.

OK, the backstory.. My dad turned 65 this year, he's still working his ass off without retirement in clear sight, and is truly deserving of a good toy. He's always been a Porsche nut, but has been driving boring cars for the last 20 years. I'm not particularly flush by any means, but I wanted to go big on some level or another for his 65th. He taught me all the tech nerdery I needed to get a great job and I'll go out on a limb and say I didn't turn out to be a total A hole, so I guess I just felt indebted somehow.

I'm kind of a "wacky toy collector" guy, and my display cases were honestly overflowing with crap, far past the realm of being able to even show my collection, so I figured I'd clear out a closet and see where it got me. Two weeks of ebay later and the pile of available loot had grown considerably. Here's where the strange coincidences started. I went to my trusty browser window to bring up craigslist and the link I'd favorited was a search for Porsche. As luck would have it, a very nice Boxster S was at the top of the search return.. 2001, 60k miles, silver, carbon fiber interior package, cd changer etc. It was priced about 5k less than KBB, so I give the guy a shout, tell him my plans, and he says "I've already gotten a half dozen emails, you've got the coolest story tho. Tell you what, cruise over after work.. if you like it, you've got first crack at it." So I do, and its in great shape. The reasoning for the low price turns out to be his wife and her beliefs in numerology (wedding anniversary, kids b days etc.)

Holy crap, ok so I pull the trigger and start making plans to drive the thing out to Colorado from San Diego. The seller was so amused by my mission, he actually went out and bought a T-shirt and engraved key chain for my dad. Awesome. I tell the folks I'm planning on driving my s2k out and pops offers to buy me a plane ticket and let me drive his focus while I'm there. Nah, thanks I told him I was just looking forward to getting some good driving in, and play it off. I found a cheapo 1 way ticket back, and started the trip prep.. new tires in the back, 60k service etc. (BTW, Independent Performance in SD is AWESOME, highly recommended!)

Get my crap piled in the trunks? (Weird but yeah, front and rear trunks. Hmm, mid engine you say?) and start out on the adventure..

first impressions.

Boxster S:
1) Holy crap thats some torque. Really fills in where the s2k is missing on the bottom end of rpm range. Immediately noticeable, 2nd pulls hard and doesn't stop.

2) The engine sound. Don't get me wrong, I love the noise my s2k makes. VTEC actually forces a smile on my face, every time. But the noise of the Porsche is more "grunty" for lack of a better term. It's got a growl that really can't be reproduced, much more bass involved.

3) Quiet. Really, everything about the car seems to have driver comfort in mind. Softer shocks, lots of temperature controls, auto dimming mirrors etc. I think some of the quieter cabin noise may have had to do with the engine being behind you in the Porsche. Honestly, I don't know. I never actually saw the engine. It could have some highly motivated gerbils in there for all I know.

4) Gearbox. Biggest difference as far as I could tell. Also 6 speeds, the tech made a point of telling me the thing shifted really tight, no slop at all. Still felt like a banana in a bag of sand compared to the s2k.

5) Size. Seems big for me. Again, maybe I'm just used to the honda, but I felt like I was sliding around in there. I'm 6', s2k fits like a glove. Boxster fit like a mitten.

6) Weight distribution. Completely different experience, can be tossed into corners as hard as you'd like, not once did I feel anything slip in a way that wasn't completely controllable. Not the case with the s2k, I've already scared myself a few times testing my horizontal g threshold.

7) Mileage was actually pretty much the same. 25 er so on the freeway. Also demands premium fuel.

8) Comfort while sleeping. Poor:/ I forgot I'm not 18 anymore, pulled into a rest stop to keep my eyes from crossing. Best advice, I'm not gonna try sleeping in the s2k to prove it, but every bit as miserable as you'd expect.

So anyway, 18 hours of transit later and I'm in Colorado to make the hand off. The look on my dad's face when he pulled the keys out from under the T shirt was priceless, I'll never forget it. All he could get out was "I got a really nice sweater for christmas once, but this.. this is insane." Tears are just rolling down his face.. Worked out better than I could have ever imagined. He kept going down to the garage to make sure it was still there hahaha...

Thankfully weather held out for us, and we got to make a few mountain runs in it while I was there..

All in all, an unforgettable trip, a really fun ride, and absolute proof that I prefer my Honda
Old 11-08-2012, 04:38 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

awww... i think i shed a tear. that's actually a really nice story.

don't know how you feel as far as looks are concerned but i'd give that to the S2000 hands down.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:47 PM

Agreed, my first choice is without a doubt the Honda. I'm interested to see what his reaction will be when he get's a chance to drive mine

The drive:

Pops and his car:
Old 11-08-2012, 04:50 PM

My dad is a huge Mercedes S class nut. I'm waiting for the day I can buy him a newish one for him to drive the rest of his life instead of leasing like he usually does.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:53 PM

I can now speak from experience, whatever effort it takes to make it happen, do it. This was sort of a childhood dream for me, so glad to have gone thru with it..
Old 11-08-2012, 05:05 PM

Your dad fathered a great son.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:27 PM

forgot about the impressions of the car when you told us your father's reaction. good to see your old man happy, hope to be able to give my pops a significant gift like this when he retires!
Old 11-08-2012, 05:28 PM

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Loved reading this story... very well done man. I hope that I can one day do something like this for my father, he's always wanted a Mercedes and I'd love to be able to pay him back for everything he's done for me over the years with a toy like that for him.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a great story.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:53 PM

Great story. This is what sports cars are about.

Quick Reply: S2000 v Boxster S (road trip impressions)