Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2000 vs STI?

Old 11-29-2018, 12:24 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
I do not agree. If there is one thing I've done in my life that has zero repercussions, it is education. Just like credit card debt, with school loans you know what you are getting into before you sign anything, same goes for a mortgage. These millennials cry and whine about their school loan debt when it is their own damn fault. When I was in college, for multiple degrees at the same time, I saw so many just take out loan after loan living off that money. That's stupid. It's also stupid to do that while paying out of state tuition. I had academic scholarship opportunities for out of state, which paid tuition and books but didn't pay for housing or food (athletic scholarships get that). Then you read the fine print and my scholarships required living in dorms for the first 2 years of college and it was bank. I said F that, decided i didn't want to play by anyone's draconian rules, stayed local, knocked out what I could at JC, got a degree there, then every single class transferred for undergrad. I went to a state uni and in the end I had 17k in debt when I wrapped up my degrees. I worked my way through college. .
I took a similar path, though I was in a university the entire time but it was pretty inexpensive (under $2K for tuition per semester - gotta love a provincially-funded university). I worked full-time for two years while in university and walked out with $10K in debt. I didn't make the kind of money I initially thought I would but it ramped up quickly (doubled in the first two years) and then more than doubled again over the next eight years. Lived below my means the entire time and learned a good lesson - don't spend it if you don't have it!

Students need to be clearly taught that they DON'T have a job guarantee (much less a well-paying job!) and they DO have to pay back every cent they borrow. Living it up in college means living it down afterwards, for most of them. Moderation goes a long ways in those situations.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[left]
Originally Posted by Chuck S
More evidence going to college is a purely social event, certainly for some. Academic demands are so minimal we're worried about 0-60 times and fun driving. Real life is approaching...

-- Chuck
im actually a full time student and have 2 jobs as well. And I always get B’s and A’s. Very rarely do i get a C or lower. Im also not getting the STI for any reputation or anything, i just like the car, and i see no problem with that. But thank you for your reply, I appreciate it
Old 11-29-2018, 12:40 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
I think he is right on. My sister is spending $80k to send her kid to school to get a degree. In journalism. It is worthless. He is not high performing in school either. He could learn some trade and make $100k within a couple years and provide for himself, but he will end up in my sister's basement working at Starbucks.

If you are not going into computers, one of the sciences or engineering or skilled technical fields or business, half the degrees are a waste of time. No body wants a person with a history degree, or social science degree or things like that anymore. Times change, and we have more opportunities for people to make big money at an unfilled trade or heck even in a lot of sales than companies that will take someone with a social science degree. And yet I paid the guy who tiled my shower at a rate where he can make $200k a year with steady work. And they were in such high demand he is the only one who would actually show up to give an estimate and I called about 20 tile guys.
You nailed it, in that you stated that there are only certain fields where an education is worth it IF you hope to make a living by using your education. In my mind, those areas include STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics), healthcare (we always have sick/dying people) and legal. Education should always be a decent choice, at least for the next 20-40 years, but I expect that will start to change fairly quickly as well. Some of the other degrees can be made to work but you'd better know what you're aiming for up front. As you said, a social science degree doesn't do much for you except in one or two narrow areas and they often require more than that (including work experience) or they take people with a Master's because it's the only differentiating qualification they have to separate them from the rest of the herd.

Trades will always have a place and I do believe they're under-represented in many areas. I make a really good living and I have friends in the trades that make as much or more, though they do tend to work longer hours (and put in a much more physical day). Stuff breaks and stuff is always being built, so you can usually do pretty well, especially if you save in the boom times. That said, I also have friends in the trades that couldn't find steady work for quite some time in some of the recent (localized) downturns. Not everyone can run a business (can't handle the stress, can't keep things straight, don't have the mind for it, can't tolerate the risk) and so tradespeople that require someone else to find them work and keep them busy make quite a bit less money and are less able to survive downturns.

No one is immune to a changing economy, that's for sure.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:53 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
Have you considered a large part of the value of higher education is to be a better, more valuable member of society? College should not exist for the sole purpose of gaining employment. Also, it sounds like you're a huge part of the problem...YOU WANT THIS ENTRY LEVEL JOB? YOU BETTER GET A MASTER'S DEGREE. "But you said yourself an ape could do it."

Americans are under educated. The solution? Less education.
Well it would not be the first time I have heard that load of crap proposed. Sure, you can show up and get the "Write a 5 page paper on why you are ashamed to be a white male" assignment I got my first week in freshman comp, and be told the entire SJW curriculum one gets in a liberal arts degree makes you a better person. The flip side is it might just make you a psychopathic horror show that nobody wants to be around for all the virtue signalling about perceived racism, sexism and whatever else that makes one no fun at parties. So there's that.

People can become well rounded by getting out in the world and experiencing life and other people just as they might in some BS college course. Nobody needs college to go read some books, got two by russian authors here on my desk that I am reading by choice and not because it was part of my coursework. I learned more about world culture by going to Europe than I ever learned in four years of college, and it was way more fun.

College is overrated in its present form unless you are going into a highly technical field.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:56 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Zkata
[left]
im actually a full time student and have 2 jobs as well. And I always get B’s and A’s. Very rarely do i get a C or lower. Im also not getting the STI for any reputation or anything, i just like the car, and i see no problem with that. But thank you for your reply, I appreciate it
Sti or S2000 matters not, if you are spending big coin in school, engineering, chemistry, or learn to code. That's the best advice I can give you. Good luck to you. I chased skirts all through college (successfully, thank you very much) but still ended up ok. Things are a little tougher these days.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:01 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I have had my 2012 STi hatchback for 2 years now. Loved it. Did mod it slightly to make it more fun. Ohlins coils, cobb stage 2, cobb intake, cobb exhaust/downpipe, sway bars and some more stuff. It is honestly the ideal fun little hatch.

The pros of it is: You can definitely still tell it's a sports car somewhere hidden behind all those interior trims and bulky exterior, it takes some proper modifications to really liven up the sporty side of things. You absolutely won't lose traction if driving normal/slightly spirited. It takes you getting your hands dirty to keep it happy so I did oil changes every 2500 miles, trans and diff every 6 oil changes, just because of the horror stories I've read and friends have experienced; I look at this as a pro. I like when a vehicle's condition directly correlates with how much care was put into it. There's a sense of pride to be had in that. I used it to take my bike up to the mountains and has done it's fair share in mild SoCal dirt. It's gone from people hauler to toy hauler very easily and to a fun canyon car by just dumping my payload and going for a drive. I'll miss that about this car the most.

The cons of it is: (this may depend on your area) EVERYBODY TRIES TO RACE YOU!!! Everything from 330i's to m4's to chargers... oddly enough, most evo's leave you alone.. There's quite a few rattles in the vehicle that have plagued it since new. I stopped worrying about this fairly quickly since I honest to god don't care about it. The paint is very thin... Subaru paint is god awful and is thin as all hell. It's been a chore to keep the white as white as possible. I've spent countless dollars on expensive paintless dent guys because the cheap ones will chip the paint. Horrible on gas both stock or tuned.

I'm sure ringland is a thing. I haven't seen it. Never experienced it. Never had a misfire and it's been on cobb stage 2 for about 80,000 miles now. Again, take care of your car and it takes care of you. Some people look at the upkeep of a car as a chore, I enjoyed it thoroughly.

My verdict on the 2012 hatch STi.. I wouldn't trade it for anything... except for a family.. which is what I'm about to have so it's gotta go. I would've kept this car until it falls apart.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:01 PM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Great comments on the college thing. So many opportunities in great skill areas that can be learned on the job, or through low cost (or free in some cases) vocational schools. College is a waste for many people, and this is coming from a guy with a Masters degree in engineering. I am making great use of my college education, but I knew way too many going for no reason other than “because college” or because their parents would support them longer because they went.

I was trained to work as an electrician in high school... for free through vocational school. I went to college to learn a trade I was more interested in, not because I “had to” in order to survive. And to be honest, I kinda miss working in construction and electrical many days
Old 11-29-2018, 01:15 PM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

Lol, this thread is out of control. Went from car advice to life/education advice
Old 11-29-2018, 01:41 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

I would rather have a WR-X over an STI , I think it is plenty good, save some money. The WR-X is a better daily driver than an S2000 if it was my choice, as a second car for pure enjoyment the S2000 would be my choice. The S2000 is not a great daily driver, and the WR-X is not as fun. That's my opinion.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:45 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I had my STI before my S2000, and just to tie into the thread... I actually got it in university. I commuted to all of my internships with it and took tons of roadtrips with it (10hrs Toronto-Boston several times, plus Boston-NYC, etc). I still love the car to this day, even after adding an S2000 to the garage. It's a blast to drive and very practical. I've managed to squeeze 3 friends & all of our ski stuff for aweekend trip to Vermont without any issues.

Is it as "pure" of a sportscar? Absolutely not. But driving it everyday in the summer (to work, to the gym, to the cottage, etc) still puts a smile on my face. I've never had any ringland issues and the car has been modified most of it's life.

To the "college is a scam" comments - I did my undergrad in business (concentration in finance) and had a well paying job lined up at a firm in Boston prior to graduating (despite being a non-American citizen requiring a work visa). I did/do see a lack of work ethic in many of my peers. I'm taking my GMAT now to go back for another 2-year MBA. Fun times.

Quick Reply: S2000 vs STI?