Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2000 vs STI?

Old 11-30-2018, 06:39 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Well it would not be the first time I have heard that load of crap proposed. Sure, you can show up and get the "Write a 5 page paper on why you are ashamed to be a white male" assignment I got my first week in freshman comp, and be told the entire SJW curriculum one gets in a liberal arts degree makes you a better person. The flip side is it might just make you a psychopathic horror show that nobody wants to be around for all the virtue signalling about perceived racism, sexism and whatever else that makes one no fun at parties. So there's that.
Oh hey the exact sort of anti-education perspective I was expecting!
Old 11-30-2018, 07:13 AM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

OP the STI is really not that fun to drive (unless it is snowing or you are driving on dirt). It PALES compared to the S2000 and the novelty will wear off quickly. Also, subaru's have absurdly high insurance rates for what you are driving. My STI's absolutely chugged fuel. The car was awesome in 2004, now, it is overpriced and underperforms. You will be forced to tune it, because it is a dog bone stock and because that is the only hope of protecting the engine.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:25 AM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
I took a similar path, though I was in a university the entire time but it was pretty inexpensive (under $2K for tuition per semester - gotta love a provincially-funded university). I worked full-time for two years while in university and walked out with $10K in debt. I didn't make the kind of money I initially thought I would but it ramped up quickly (doubled in the first two years) and then more than doubled again over the next eight years. Lived below my means the entire time and learned a good lesson - don't spend it if you don't have it!

Students need to be clearly taught that they DON'T have a job guarantee (much less a well-paying job!) and they DO have to pay back every cent they borrow. Living it up in college means living it down afterwards, for most of them. Moderation goes a long ways in those situations.
Well we have a bunch of blanket statements in this thread about uni/edu, and yes it got out of hand quick. My point about education is it's never a bad thing. But I also don't think undergrad is for EVERYONE. It really takes a lot of self eval. What do you want to do? What kind of money are you comfortable making? I learned over 90% of what I use for my career OTJ. But uni opened doors and got interviews. Applying for X, say if I had similar experience to someone else and they didn't have a degree, i'd get the position every time. I sometimes refer to my degrees as lines on a resume only. But those lines on the resume are the difference between getting an interview at all, or actually landing the position. You can easily sub in trade/vocational school, certifications, I mean there is awful lot out there. My original point was responding to someone who was dismissing education. To that I will always say BS. Uni, trade school, whatever, it all depends on what you are doing in life. I've just never seen education be a bad thing, ever. My manager at work, she applied for a director position that she has earned and is well qualified for. She got deuced out for someone with 25% of her knowledge and experience, because she doesn't have a bachelors. Where I work, you need a bachelors to break the glass ceiling. That sucks but many corps are like that and have those requirements in place. I'm getting two MBA's for just that reason, to raise that ceiling a whole lot more.

mosesbotbol, in high school they said to do something. They never preached that college was the only answer. They pushed to get higher learning. You need something more than a college degree, especially now. I have no remorse for millennials who go out of state, rack up 6 figures in debt and expect to make bank. That's entitlement and I'm not a fan of that. I've had a job since I was 10 and hustled to this day. It's a dog eat dog world. I've also listened to people bitch for 20 years about not getting this job, not making enough $, etc, and I'm like wtf did you do to earn that? You think you're special, or you have OTJ. Many times that is not enough. I had to hustle, degrees, certs, and OTJ. Many times taking positions I absolutely detested, but it was necessary at the time. Making money, being successful, is about sacrifice and how far you are willing to go. College is just one slice of that pie, and not a requirement for everyone. It's helped the F out of me. And I'm going back for more. If there is one thing about education, nobody can ever take it away from you. You can take my house, my vehicles, my accounts, but the edu I earned is mine for good. It's worth its' weight in gold or platinum. But it means nothing if you aren't going to use it and capitalize off it. Main thing it teaches or demonstrates to an employer, is you are willing to stick it out, hit the requirements and you are a finisher. You start hard or difficult tasks and complete them, even if they suck and most of them are worthless. I will agree with you that by itself it means little. But you also have to realize the young folks today, many of them just want to push the easy button. They whine because they make bad decisions with it, mostly financial, and none of them want to hustle or take a start at the bottom position to work their way up. I graduated almost 20 years ago and experienced this myself. 9/10 people I talked to in college refused to start at the bottom, or work their way through school. They wanted to party, spend their loan money, and have a blast. A few of us hustled, street style and used every and all opportunity for financial gain to get ahead. One of my proudest moments in my life was junior year, RSX Type S comes out. I finally worked my credit up to get the first baller financing. I roll up to school in that thing, got the first silver one in my metro. Idiots were all "Rich", parents, blah blah. I respond nah, I paid for this myself clowns. Unlike you, college is all on my own dime as well with no assistance from anyone. My friends with kids, I tell them to talk their kids into dropping out of high school if they are smart. As soon as they can at 16, take the GED, pass it, and go directly to JC. They could have their associates by 18, bachelors by 20, Masters by 22 and be ahead of the game. C.R.E.A.M.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:43 AM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

i would just save your money and keep the S and focus on having fun in college unless having an STI would make it more fun. I do love my Impreza as a commuter/beater car. Would have bought an STI but did not want to put 20k+ miles/yr on it.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:57 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
Oh hey the exact sort of anti-education perspective I was expecting!
Good grief. When you are charged a ton of money for something of little value, being anti-whatever it is is the right call. You could accuse me of being anti-bitcoin for the same reasons.
Follow along here:

Point A: Most liberal arts degrees are worthless and won't get you a meaningful job in today's market.
Point B: They can cost tens of thousands of dollars, with years wasted and little positive result.
Point C: Therefore, if they are expensive, and give no value, they are not worth the cost.

Your response: You are anti-education!

Give critical thinking a try sometime, you might like it.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:00 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Good grief. When you are charged a ton of money for something of little value, being anti-whatever it is is the right call. You could accuse me of being anti-bitcoin for the same reasons.
Follow along here:

Point A: Most liberal arts degrees are worthless and won't get you a meaningful job in today's market.
Point B: They can cost tens of thousands of dollars, with years wasted and little positive result.
Point C: Therefore, if they are expensive, and give no value, they are not worth the cost.

Your response: You are anti-education!

Give critical thinking a try sometime, you might like it.
Liberal arts degrees teach you things other than how to be a corporate drone.

That isn't a bad thing.

I understand US culture is incredibly toxic & productivity is the only thing that matters to middle management types but jesus there's so much more to life.

Don't be a Bob.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:06 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

I have autocrossed an STI before, and an Evo. They are great and capable cars. However, neither is nearly as fun overall to drive than the S2k. I can honestly say that the S2k is one of the most fun cars I have autocrossed. An Elise is probably close, but is not nearly as fun on the street to drive around in.

The STI is going to be more fun in a straight line and will be a blast in the snow of course, but to me overall the S just has more "fun" factor and way more cool factor if that is important to you. I get asked about it almost to an annoying amount when I drive it :P To me that fun factor goes a long ways. And lets face it ... being able to drop the top and hear 9k screaming back at you on a summer day is pretty hard to beat in a fixed top, heavy, AWD :P
Old 11-30-2018, 09:23 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

And now that I posted on topic, I will go back off topic a bit :P

College education is good for some. It is 100% useless for others. I met more people in college that were there "Cause mom and dad will still support me if I do" than people that were serious about it. Those folks almost all took basic ed or liberal arts degrees

But the college thing itself is not the issue. It is the complete bullshit assertion by many that everyone should go to college. That has further moved to make young people feel like they have to go to college or "settle" for a manual labor job or something else. That is not only totally false, but hurts industry as well.

I have done very well will my engineering degrees, but am starting to look more and more towards going back into building higher end, custom furniture to be honest (a skill I also learned for free by starting at a cabinet shop sanding stuff and working through college until I learned every aspect of cabinet making) because of the mental state it puts me in. It is great work, you dont take it home with you and you can make good money after a while.

And to be honest, the trades I value more than most are suffering due to lack of interest. Woodworking, construction, residential/commercial electrical, plumbing, farming, etc are highly important in our society and can be learned WHILE being paid through being an apprentice most times with no schooling. But it feels like society looks down their nose at these "non college" jobs like those people settle because that is all they can do. When in reality, those folks work harder and are probably smarter than many college grads in many areas.

College is great and if you have the opportunity, motivation and a career path in mind go for it. But it is far from being necessary for even half of our society to be honest, and for some it is just piling up debt for no good reason. I hate to see parents almost force their kids into it when some of those kids will not be successful or gain anything from it, when they could be out learning something else.

As a note, I worked at a company with a lot of warehouses, and I knew a good number of people, in relatively low income areas of the country, making $25/hr driving a forklift ... I knew at least two of them that were near illiterate (seriously) and made $50k + (great overtime and full benefits) per year for something they learned with no prior experience, all training paid on the job. And when people were crying all over the news about there "not being jobs" out there, we were scratching our heads because we had open positions in 5 states that we could not fill driving forklifts. 401k, very affordable health benefits (WAY better than anything I have seen under ACA), etc and we were practically begging for people to come work.
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (12-01-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 09:31 AM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

The convertible plays a part too, if you love convertibles the S2000 is a dream, I never cared for convertibles or sunroofs so a Subaru would do me fine. I'm also a good candidate for skin cancer so my convertible days are done, I even keep my sunroofs closed most of the time.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:28 AM

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
And now that I posted on topic, I will go back off topic a bit :P

College education is good for some. It is 100% useless for others. I met more people in college that were there "Cause mom and dad will still support me if I do" than people that were serious about it. Those folks almost all took basic ed or liberal arts degrees

But the college thing itself is not the issue. It is the complete bullshit assertion by many that everyone should go to college. That has further moved to make young people feel like they have to go to college or "settle" for a manual labor job or something else. That is not only totally false, but hurts industry as well.

I have done very well will my engineering degrees, but am starting to look more and more towards going back into building higher end, custom furniture to be honest (a skill I also learned for free by starting at a cabinet shop sanding stuff and working through college until I learned every aspect of cabinet making) because of the mental state it puts me in. It is great work, you dont take it home with you and you can make good money after a while.

And to be honest, the trades I value more than most are suffering due to lack of interest. Woodworking, construction, residential/commercial electrical, plumbing, farming, etc are highly important in our society and can be learned WHILE being paid through being an apprentice most times with no schooling. But it feels like society looks down their nose at these "non college" jobs like those people settle because that is all they can do. When in reality, those folks work harder and are probably smarter than many college grads in many areas.

College is great and if you have the opportunity, motivation and a career path in mind go for it. But it is far from being necessary for even half of our society to be honest, and for some it is just piling up debt for no good reason. I hate to see parents almost force their kids into it when some of those kids will not be successful or gain anything from it, when they could be out learning something else.

As a note, I worked at a company with a lot of warehouses, and I knew a good number of people, in relatively low income areas of the country, making $25/hr driving a forklift ... I knew at least two of them that were near illiterate (seriously) and made $50k + (great overtime and full benefits) per year for something they learned with no prior experience, all training paid on the job. And when people were crying all over the news about there "not being jobs" out there, we were scratching our heads because we had open positions in 5 states that we could not fill driving forklifts. 401k, very affordable health benefits (WAY better than anything I have seen under ACA), etc and we were practically begging for people to come work.
One thing I have learned - doesn't matter how hard your job is, or how smart you have to be to do it. Supply and demand is king. For many jobs, education is the weed-out.

Quick Reply: S2000 vs STI?