Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Saving money with a diesel engine?

Old 04-19-2012, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
Originally Posted by S2K-DJ' timestamp='1334858327' post='21623937
As a VW owner with the 2.5 gas engine, and having read other's mileage on the VW forums, I can tell you the EPA mileage is overrated on the 2.5. 30mpg is tough to achieve. Now unless they did something special in 2010 with the 2.5 engine in the redesigned Golf, I can't imagine things any different. We are talking 65mph tops on highway in cruise control in order to achieve 30mpg. They claim 24 city, but even driving like grandma, I, and almost everyone else cannot achieve that. That 5 cylinder is a very thirsty engine.

From what I've read on the forums from TDI owners, it actually gets better mpg then the estimates. Many achieve close to 50mpg when cruising at 65 on highway, and well into the 30s in city. Where I live, at the gas station right down the street, there is a 15 cent difference in price between diesel and gasoline currently.

Either way, I do agree. the TDI is expensive, and the price of the fuel doesn't make it worth it the extra cost. However, if you're not going to buy a TDI, I do not recommend a 2.5 VW, if gas mileage is a goal. My 06 Rabbit is a gas guzzler, unless I shift at 1500-2000rpms (which makes it take 15+ seconds to reach 60mph), and do not go above 65mph on highway.

I pulled the numbers directly from Fuelly, so they should be pretty representative of what people get in real life. From what I understand, the older TDIs (early 2000s) get better gas mileage than the newer ones. Those are probably the ones getting 45-50mpg.
The older ones get better gas mileage because they dont have a DPF (diesel particulate filter) which is essentially a giant filter in the exhaust that traps soot. Any diesel 2007.5 and newer has a DPF. DPFs arent cheap either, I believe the Ford dealership wants ~$2,000 to replace the one on any of their diesel trucks. Im pretty sure this causes much of that huge jump in price. Also incase you were wondering why DPF equiped diesels get worse fuel mileage than non-DPF (aside from the obvious restriction they produce), it is becasue they clean themselves by injecting raw diesel fuel to burn the soot which turns it into ash which is less harmfull to the enviornment.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cdelena
My neighbor thought she wanted to buy a hybrid and the husband felt their choice should be a diesel so my advice was to drive them and buy what they liked... when that did not resolve the issue and they were still arguing economy I suggested a spreadsheet to calculate the real cost including the purchase, value of the funds, miles driven, fuel costs, and resale value (based upon current lease deals), When they got done there was no contest... neither the hybrid nor the diesel made financial sense for them and they bought a gasoline powered car.
Which cars were they considering?
Are there any other affordable diesel passenger cars available for sale in the US right now besides the ones from VW?
Old 04-19-2012, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So here are my quick thoughts on diesel. You'll notice I own one. Diesel makes sense if you are buying for the right reasons and under the right circumstances.
There was, at the time, no gas car that offered the level of performance AND mileage that the 335d offers. Not even close. Even the new 328, with comparable mileage, is only comparable in performance because it has an 8 speed and other updates; the motor itself puts out way less torque and less hp.
Diesel does cost more when fuel prices are lower because the diesel taxes are higher. However, in AZ right now, it costs less because of demand dynamics. This is relative to premium. You have a hard time making the math work when comparing diesel to regular. Again, you have to be comparing cars with performance traits and then you'll likely be looking at a premium gas alternative.
Diesel cars cost more...only if demand holds up. We bought ours at the end of the year when the dealer had like two dozen on the lot and tons of trunk money. Handed us $8500 off Msrp without even trying. That made it LESS expensive to buy than the gas 335i which was in big demand.
So, it is possible to buy diesel and save a ton of cash if the circumstances are right. The knock is on certain models at certain times in certain circumstances, not so much on diesel in general.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
Originally Posted by cdelena' timestamp='1334866427' post='21624498
My neighbor thought she wanted to buy a hybrid and the husband felt their choice should be a diesel so my advice was to drive them and buy what they liked... when that did not resolve the issue and they were still arguing economy I suggested a spreadsheet to calculate the real cost including the purchase, value of the funds, miles driven, fuel costs, and resale value (based upon current lease deals), When they got done there was no contest... neither the hybrid nor the diesel made financial sense for them and they bought a gasoline powered car.
Which cars were they considering?
Are there any other affordable diesel passenger cars available for sale in the US right now besides the ones from VW?
I tried to keep my distance from the squabble but it seems he wanted the Golf TDI, she wanted a Prius, and they wound up with a Elantra. Thus far they are happy with their decision.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:44 PM

This is why you don't see many diesel cars for sale in the US. The superior MPG offered by a diesel doesn't offset the extra cost of diesel over gas or the extra cost of diesel car over a gas powered one.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by ElTianti
This is why you don't see many diesel cars for sale in the US. The superior MPG offered by a diesel doesn't offset the extra cost of diesel over gas or the extra cost of diesel car over a gas powered one.
I disagree completely. There is a generalization of diesels as heavy duty trucks, as in shooting black smoke, being smelly, and dirty in general. With this generalization in place, most car buyers don't even think about a clean diesel because to them diesels aren't clean. Once you get past that idea, you see people starting to buy them more. Diesels themselves were up 35% this Quarter, versus the same Quarter last year. That's a HUGE increase.

And besides, the price of gas versus diesel depends on where you are and the time of year. Right now premium and diesel are the exact same price where I live. I just got back from a 100 mile trip, in a Jetta TDI, where the average speed was about 72 mph. At that rate we averaged 48 MPG. If we had been in a 2.5, and gotten close to maybe 29 MPG, that's a 19 MPG difference. That's pretty substantial.

And if you want substantial, the CX-5 diesel is supposed to get 53 MPG highway on the US-Cycle. That's insane.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an 83 Mercedes 300d that was a TANK and it never got below 30mph.

My new to me diesel truck though...not so much, but still better than a gas version.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:48 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by bloodzombie
I haven't priced the Golf, but I've been looking at the Jetta Sportwagen. For the wagon, the price difference isn't $5k. The TDi is pretty loaded, so the base TDi is like the SE, only a couple grand different and the resale is much better on the TDi. Cost of ownership over 5 years according to Edmunds is almost the same and the TDi is more fun to drive.
Bingo. For a gas effient people hauler, the jetta or passat wagon tdis are hard to beat imo. Torque, mpg, and resale value. Still, i wish one of the japanese makes would bring theirs here.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by RC 94
Originally Posted by ElTianti' timestamp='1334886297' post='21625438
I disagree completely. There is a generalization of diesels as heavy duty trucks, as in shooting black smoke, being smelly, and dirty in general. With this generalization in place, most car buyers don't even think about a clean diesel because to them diesels aren't clean. Once you get past that idea, you see people starting to buy them more. Diesels themselves were up 35% this Quarter, versus the same Quarter last year. That's a HUGE increase.

And besides, the price of gas versus diesel depends on where you are and the time of year. Right now premium and diesel are the exact same price where I live. I just got back from a 100 mile trip, in a Jetta TDI, where the average speed was about 72 mph. At that rate we averaged 48 MPG. If we had been in a 2.5, and gotten close to maybe 29 MPG, that's a 19 MPG difference. That's pretty substantial.

And if you want substantial, the CX-5 diesel is supposed to get 53 MPG highway on the US-Cycle. That's insane.
But a Prius C has a lower MSRP and returns 50mpg highway and it runs on fuel that 30 cents cheaper a gallon than diesel. If MPG is your top priority, at least in the US were diesel cost more, a hybrid is a better choice than a diesel.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:53 AM

Since the diesel has a greater range it means you fill up less often, since filling up at the gas station takes time and time is money and I think my time is worth $500/hr I'd save $1,000 per year with the diesel. You're savings may vary.

Quick Reply: Saving money with a diesel engine?