Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Search for Next Car Leads to Rebuilt Title and Questions

Old 02-17-2017, 06:22 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Run away
Old 02-17-2017, 06:27 AM
HDA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Run away
Old 02-17-2017, 06:45 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Used 2008 BMW 1 Series For Sale McHenry IL Serving Spring Grove, Crystal Lake, Richmond & Woodstock

How bout a low mile, clean car fax Convert for $13k? Manual. If you can live without sport seats and suspension. You can always modify the suspension with aftermarket.

or:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=162342821

Manual, sport seat low miles, $13k

Last edited by vader1; 02-17-2017 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vader1
Used 2008 BMW 1 Series For Sale McHenry IL Serving Spring Grove, Crystal Lake, Richmond & Woodstock

How bout a low mile, clean car fax Convert for $13k? Manual. If you can live without sport seats and suspension. You can always modify the suspension with aftermarket.

or:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=162342821

Manual, sport seat low miles, $13k
I saw that car in Illinois when it came online a week or so ago. It is EXACTLY what I want other than the interior and exterior colors. This was one of the cars I was referencing in my opening post that were perfect, other than that god-awful Cashmere Silver Metallic. Ugh. I can get over the interior color, but that exterior color just ruins it for. I wish it didn't.

As far as the Tennessee car, I might have neglected to mention that I'm only interested in convertibles.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:18 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by ndfan
I saw that car in Illinois when it came online a week or so ago. It is EXACTLY what I want other than the interior and exterior colors. This was one of the cars I was referencing in my opening post that were perfect, other than that god-awful Cashmere Silver Metallic. Ugh. I can get over the interior color, but that exterior color just ruins it for. I wish it didn't.

As far as the Tennessee car, I might have neglected to mention that I'm only interested in convertibles.
LOL, yeah the convertible part would have helped.

Must be a matter of taste because I think the Cashmere Silver looks great. To me it looks like a classy, upscale color.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:12 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
LOL, yeah the convertible part would have helped.

Must be a matter of taste because I think the Cashmere Silver looks great. To me it looks like a classy, upscale color.
I thought that color looks pretty good. Not my first choice, but wouldn't say no to it That looks like a fun car for 13k!
Old 02-18-2017, 09:42 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Thanks all for your sage advice.

Based on my research, it appears that the 1-series has been pretty reliable in 128i form. I think the MY-2010 and older 135i's (with the N54 with the HPFP and LPFP issues among others) gave the series a bad rap. I have read that the N52s in the 128i's are about as bulletproof as BMWs get (which I suppose still doesn't approach Honda reliability).

I'm not totally ignorant of cars, so I'd still prefer to look at any prospective car myself. I honestly had not given much thought to shipping a car, so I might look into that. Either way, even a national search for a 128i the way I'd like it spec'ed is still hard to find.

I have given the ability of body shops to cover-up damage some thought, but I figured they wouldn't go overboard on the underside of a car where nobody (other than a mechanic) would see it. So, I figured the repairs would be obvious, but I certainly could be wrong. And yes, reselling a car with a rebuilt title probably would be a nightmare!
Bondo hides metal imperfections,, paint hides the differences in material. Undersides are especially easy because it's not a base coat clearcoat it's a $20-50 can of e coat which lays on thick, easier if it's some kind of undercoating kinda like the stuff they use on bedliners. Nothing on a car chassis is uncovered bare metal.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:29 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Really? You need to ask this question. Jeezus. YES BUY IT. BEST IDEA!!
Old 02-23-2017, 08:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ealand0001
Really? You need to ask this question. Jeezus. YES BUY IT. BEST IDEA!!
A little dramatic are we?

FWIW, I think it's legitimate to ask whether people think a positive professional inspection (with evaluations going beyond a normal PPI) would build enough confidence to purchase a car with a rebuilt title. Some appear to think that would be fine while others thought issues could still be concealed from such inspections. Though I've had PPI miss items on cars with no title issues, but I digress...

Anyway, I personally don't trust cars with rebuilt titles (and probably most individuals selling them), but I also don't think they're all the boogie man that ealand0001 seems to think they are.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:01 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Anyway, I personally don't trust cars with rebuilt titles (and probably most individuals selling them), but I also don't think they're all the boogie man that ealand0001 seems to think they are.
This is good advice.

OP - Do you have a picture of all the "before" damage?

Quick Reply: Search for Next Car Leads to Rebuilt Title and Questions