Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Search for Next Car Leads to Rebuilt Title and Questions

Old 02-23-2017, 09:28 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Well, just to poke at the OP a bit, I think if you don't pounce on the Cashmere Silver one for $13k you are nuts. It checks all the boxes. I am almost tempted to put in a phone call on it.

I did not want silver on my Cayman. Boring color. Wanted white or the loud blue they make. Searched and searched. Found a car that was in my price range, checked all the boxes. It was silver. Bleh....but........ I love the car. Color has grown on me, forgot all my objections and flat out love the car. It is not like the Cashmere Silver is burnt orange or neon green or anything.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 4 Miatas of various vintages and an S2000 all of which have rebuilt titles. My friend has a car lot and 90% of what he sells are salvage cars that he rebuilds. It is shocking how little damage it takes for an insurance company to total a car these days. I know my cars have reduced value due to the reconstructed titles but that just allows me to forgo full coverage insurance. I don't have much in them. They drive just as good as my Miatas with clear titiles. Not worried about resale as I bought them to drive. If you are careful, there are good deals to be had. You can always get a bad deal, no matter what the title reads - be careful but don't be paranoid.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
This is good advice.

OP - Do you have a picture of all the "before" damage?
The seller gave me the insurance auction pictures, but they are all normal ground level (and up) pictures that are fairly useless for a car that was totalled due to undercarriage damage. FWIW, I carefully scanned the pictures for any evidence of the body panel gaps shifting, but everything looked very straight in the pictures and in person. The seller also gave me me a couple pictures of the underside that shows a gouge (for though no apparent hole) in the floorpan, a cut fuel line, a dent in the tailpipe, and possibly another dent in the floorpan, but it's hard to tell.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by vader1
Well, just to poke at the OP a bit, I think if you don't pounce on the Cashmere Silver one for $13k you are nuts. It checks all the boxes. I am almost tempted to put in a phone call on it.

It is not like the Cashmere Silver is burnt orange or neon green or anything.
Vader - you have a great eye for a deal and we perhaps provided some free advertising, as that car is already off the market! While I was trying to talk myself into the color, it appears somebody snatched it up. FWIW, I would take burnt orange over that sandy shade of grey.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tedfromohio
I have 4 Miatas of various vintages and an S2000 all of which have rebuilt titles. My friend has a car lot and 90% of what he sells are salvage cars that he rebuilds. It is shocking how little damage it takes for an insurance company to total a car these days. I know my cars have reduced value due to the reconstructed titles but that just allows me to forgo full coverage insurance. I don't have much in them. They drive just as good as my Miatas with clear titiles. Not worried about resale as I bought them to drive. If you are careful, there are good deals to be had. You can always get a bad deal, no matter what the title reads - be careful but don't be paranoid.
Thanks for this anecdote... I know somebody buys these cars and at least some of them have a positive experience. Great advice at the end too... greatly appreciated!
Old 02-23-2017, 01:49 PM

Most welcome. I have had great luck with salvage title vehicles (but I am a pretty lucky guy:-))! Good luck in your search.