Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Seatbelt Warranty is a joke

Old 08-14-2018, 09:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seatbelt Warranty is a joke

First, I thought this site was a general Honda site, so that was my mistake. However, since you have Hondas, I just thought you should know that the lifetime warranty on seatbelts is not very true. I went into the Honda dealer after finding out about the lifetime warranty and found out that they will not cover the seatbelt replacement because it is frayed. It frayed because the mechanism wasn't working properly and the belt was catching in the door. They call fraying 'cosmetic'. This was a safety issue (this was not minor fraying!). It dramatically worsened over just a few weeks and I was delayed because of serious family medical issues. Both driver and passenger sides had exactly the same problem with the seatbelt not retracting when released. However, because the passenger side seatbelt had no fraying yet, they covered it and it will be replaced next week.

Called Honda Customer service and all I got was circular reasoning. The dealer says that they can't cover it and I should call Honda to make an exception and then Honda CS says that dealer is the one to make the exception. Honda CS says that the fraying is COSMETIC? Cosmetic would be if it was stained or faded, not weakened. This vehicle was made in 1999. Just over the time I made the appointment with Honda and having them replace it, 1/3 of the seatbelt had frayed lengthwise. Yes, I had to replace it because it was no longer safe.

The cost to replace the seatbelt? $746. That was ONE seat belt! So beware. If your seatbelt is giving your any trouble, they will find reasons not to cover it.
Ok, so does anybody have any suggestions?
The following users liked this post:
peter keys (05-15-2019)
Old 08-14-2018, 09:11 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarana
Ok, so does anybody have any suggestions?
I've got a couple.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:14 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Tell your local TV station. They'll have a hey day with this story.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:07 PM
Community Organizer

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

If the dealership will not cover it. You can go to the regional service manager who is their boss and get him or her to look at the belts. Just ask the dealership for their contact information to set up an appointment the next time they are at the dealership. The only thing that might not be in your favor is if you aren't the original owner. Best of luck.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:17 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Bama Dave
If the dealership will not cover it. You can go to the regional service manager who is their boss and get him or her to look at the belts. Just ask the dealership for their contact information to set up an appointment the next time they are at the dealership. The only thing that might not be in your favor is if you aren't the original owner. Best of luck.
Agreed, you need to go up the chain of command. Dealers are the lowest on the totem pole. They report to regional guys, who likely report to the national service manager, who reports to the blah blah, you get it. If you make a big enough stink about it (respectfully), they will probably help you out --eventually. Or, go buy a used one. There are a lot of guys parting out S2000's. Alan Lee in SoCal does a lot. you can find him on FB or mentioned repeatedly in the SoCal regional forum here on s2ki.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:32 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Bama Dave
The only thing that might not be in your favor is if you aren't the original owner. Best of luck.
That shouldn't matter on a major safety issue. They'd be in a world of hurt; God forbid something happened and they used that as an excuse to not do the repair...
Old 08-14-2018, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bama Dave and Chris Lum, thanks for the tips!! I will do that. Mosesbotbol, having a TV investigate it is idea as well, but kindof a last ditch. As you point out, this is a major safety issue. I couldn't put off replacing the belt - it was fraying more every time I used the car. The sticker shock didn't help - I replaced a seatbelt in another car only 2 years ago and it was only $45. Anyway, thanks and I will pursue this.
Oh, and Vader1, you aren't very far from me (I'm in Mpls suburb).
Old 08-15-2018, 07:37 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarana
Oh, and Vader1, you aren't very far from me (I'm in Mpls suburb).
Which dealer gave you a hard time? I would suggest if you don't find satisfaction from any Honda dealers locally (and if you are trying the one in Brooklyn Park, they are the worst) then try John's Auto Parts in Blaine for a used one. The Honda dealer in Inver Grove always bent over backwards for stuff when I went there. You have about five to choose from, if you get no joy from one, try another. If you had the work done and already paid, you either are going to have to get a refund through a Honda rep, or go to conciliation court. If you look at the lifetime warranty language on the seatbelt, they have the right to refuse if they find it is not from a defect so I would not mention repeated catching in the door. I am sure they are claiming the damage was from you or previous owners slamming the belt in the door. But if it is warranty, Honda pays, there is no reason for the dealer to refuse, except that they get paid more if they can charge YOU than the rates Honda allows the dealers to charge THEM. Just find a dealer that wants to make you happy, they still get paid. The service manager at Inver Grove is a very reasonable guy if it is still the one I was used to dealing with. You could do a lot worse than just calling the different dealers, tell them about the problem,(seatbelt is broken and lifetime warranty) and hopefully one will tell you it is covered and will make an appointment for a fix.

Do not be afraid to take it to conciliation court if you already paid. There is a filing fee, but print off the page from the warranty booklet (it is online) and your bill. The judges in conciliation court are suckers for the little guy and if it is you against a dealer, the dealer has no shot, and your claim should include the cost of the repair, and any fees you paid to file with the court. It might take a couple months, but you will get your money back.

Last edited by vader1; 08-15-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:12 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
That shouldn't matter on a major safety issue. They'd be in a world of hurt; God forbid something happened and they used that as an excuse to not do the repair...
Totally agreed!

And I'm not just saying that because I have two Corgis...
Old 08-20-2018, 03:51 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

This is very different from the experience I had when my passenger belt had to be replaced, but my belt wasn't frayed, the retractor just quit. i expected to have to pay for replacement, but the local Honda service dept. told me it was warrantied. This was also at ~6-7 years old, so ymmv, but afaik Honda is one of the manufacturers that provides a lifetime warranty on seatbelts, so I'd keep trying.

Quick Reply: Seatbelt Warranty is a joke