Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Sell your SUV/Truck

Old 04-26-2006, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I borrowed my father-in-laws Prius to pull my 28 ft deck boat over to Eagle Mtn lake. I figured to leave the Suburban at home and save some gas. The thing held up pretty well for the first three days, but crapped out on day 4. Almost made it to the end of the block. We were so close. I guess it's time to recycle this deal. Do the batteries go in the brown can or the green can?
Old 04-26-2006, 07:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So how does that compare to 3 people in a Corolla, or 2 in an Insight?
You are not driving an insight or corolla, you are driving an S2000. You are a ****ing polluter and should go to hell for not caring about the environment enough to sell that impractical car and save the world.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:10 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,Apr 26 2006, 04:49 AM
This doesn't sound like the normally reserved Legal Bill whose posts I have read before, but assuming you aren't just cranky (or I am not picking up on some present sarcasm)....

You do realize that if SUVs are "stamped out," the likely next target will be two-seat sports cars that are worthless for carpooling, and use "too much" gas and have "too much" power for their weight/size, right? And that some would argue that a person's right to commute in an SUV is more legitimate than your right to drive for pleasure in your sports car.

Judge not lest ye be judged yourself; I don't want to make (regulate) anyone else's vehicle choice for them, because I don't want anyone else making the choice for me.

Again, sorry if I missed a joke, but your opinion seems ridiculous and selfish.

Bill you are WRONG to tell us what we should drive.

A F430 gets about the same mileage as a H2 so I guess they're on your shit list.

I have a SUV and am thinking about something that gets better mileage. But it doesn't make any financial sense. I can trade straight up my Trooper for a 6 year old car and make out. But if I went for a new car a Civic or Corolla than I'm spending more for car payments than I'd save in gas.

P.S. the reason I have a SUV in the first place is to get to work if it snows. I know it's not a major deal for you if I get to work or not. But it is to me. I don't even live in a big snow state, but one time this year there was 12" of un-plowed snow. I would have had to stay at a Hotel the night before if I didn't have a SUV. My SUV made it through the snow with ease, but a car would probably have not made it.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:16 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by steve c,Apr 26 2006, 09:10 AM
You are not driving an insight or corolla, you are driving an S2000. You are a ****ing polluter and should go to hell for not caring about the environment enough to sell that impractical car and save the world.

Just pointing out the argument can be carried out infinately. Two guys on a moped beat the Insight, blahbity blah..........

One could also argue we should draw a line at minimum standards, such as the extremely easy to meet CAFE program.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:20 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=Legal Bill,Apr 26 2006, 06:14 AM] Trust me, we are running out of gas.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:35 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by steve c,Apr 26 2006, 10:47 AM
Wait .. this coming from someone that drives a car that can seat only two people and still gets shittier fuel mileage than a V8 corvette?

If you want to be a hippie-nazi why not say we should all drive 5 person 4 door vehicles that get good gas mileage and we all must carpool too. There is no *need* for 2 seat medicore fuel mileage convertibles -- but you fail to acknowledge that point and instead point the little green hippy finger at others before evaluating yourself. I've lived in Boulder, I am accustomed to this holier than thou shit and it cracks me up.

Let me educate you now .. and with luck end this thread .. although I don't have much hope, like I said I've lived in Boulder.

Reality check, it only takes something like 2.7 people in my wifes SUV to equate to the same per person fuel consumption as me in my S2000. Guess what, we always have
at least 3 people in her SUV, 4 soon. That means that every mile I drive my SUV I am using less fuel per person than you in your S2000. You need to sell your S2000 you ****ing polluter!

People in glass houses should not toss stones....
Hey now, this is a family forum. I'll thank you to type a civil message.

I'm not holier than anyone. I just want you to dump your stupid SUV. Your wife and kids would be better off in a Subaru Forrester or some such thing.

Why are you bragging about how many people your wife is hauling around. Those are people you made yourself. If you didn't make them you wouldn't need to haul them around with my gas. Your wife could take a Vespa to work and get 150 mpg and leave plenty of room for me to pass her as I drive through Boulder to go hang out with the hippie nazis up in Aspen.

Plus I often get over 30 mpg on the highway. Way better than a Vette.

The truth is, very few people commute in a car pool. They use the SUV as transportation for one.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by rai,Apr 26 2006, 11:10 AM

Bill you are WRONG to tell us what we should drive.

A F430 gets about the same mileage as a H2 so I guess they're on your shit list.

I have a SUV and am thinking about something that gets better mileage. But it doesn't make any financial sense. I can trade straight up my Trooper for a 6 year old car and make out. But if I went for a new car a Civic or Corolla than I'm spending more for car payments than I'd save in gas.

P.S. the reason I have a SUV in the first place is to get to work if it snows. I know it's not a major deal for you if I get to work or not. But it is to me. I don't even live in a big snow state, but one time this year there was 12" of un-plowed snow. I would have had to stay at a Hotel the night before if I didn't have a SUV. My SUV made it through the snow with ease, but a car would probably have not made it.
You just haven't been enlightened yet my brother. There are vey few Ferraris and they are hardly driven at all. There are an army of Hummers being used for daily transportation. They are the problem, not the Ferraris.

You have been brainwashed by the all wheel drive nazis. Years ago, we all had rear drive cars with horrible 60-40 weight distribution. Yet we all made it through the snow. We just bought snow tires. Today, my rear drive BMW goes right through a foot of snow with snow tires. Please keep thinking about this. You are showing concern and that is a great start. (Unlike Steve who just wants to call me names and wave his children in my face.)
Old 04-26-2006, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by rai,Apr 26 2006, 11:20 AM
You look it up. We have more known oil reserve than we had 40 years ago. I agree we will run out some time, but when? No one knows.

We can make gas from coal or corn if we had to. But right now it costs more to make ethonol or liquify coal than to pay for oil. Why would I throw away money needlessly (pay more for ethonol) for your delusional greeny desire?

You're not making any sense.

If we paid the same for gas as they do in Japan or Europe (if gas was $5-$6 a gal )than people would buy more efficent cars.
It is very bad, high sulpher oil that has been discovered and added to the reserves. It costs much more to refine. This will also drive up the cost of oil. What no one talks about is the emergance of India and China. Their appetite for oil will surpass ours. As it stands now, every drop produced is consummed. Opec does not wish to increase production as it will reduce their reserves at an accelerated pace and then they will have nothing.

Trust me on this. You have to imagine three of four Americas worth of consumption going on at the same time. That is what we are headed for, and soon!
Old 04-26-2006, 07:46 AM

I think some of you are reacting out of guilt, or a feeling that you are being accused. This is not the case. We are all together in this. We can only solve the problem together. In our lives we will all be driving some from of alternative fuel vehicle and I am not just talking hybrids here. Let's save the gas as long as we can.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:51 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Apr 26 2006, 07:46 AM
I think some of you are reacting out of guilt, or a feeling that you are being accused. This is not the case. We are all together in this. We can only solve the problem together. In our lives we will all be driving some from of alternative fuel vehicle and I am not just talking hybrids here. Let's save the gas as long as we can.
Yes, let's save all the gas we can:

Originally Posted by Legal Bill, first line in this thread
I'm sick and tired of seeing SUVs and Trucks on the road sucking up gas I could use to go for long drives in my S2000.
Either you're high, your user account has been hijacked, or this is a joke. This can't be from the same reasonable poster who hangs out on the Vintage board. You want to have a reasonable discussion about this? Fine. But leave the hyperbole and lines like "Leave the Constitution on TV where it belongs" out of this, because I really can't take this thread seriously.

Quick Reply: Sell your SUV/Truck