Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Selling car to overseas buyer ??

Old 05-09-2018, 08:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Selling car to overseas buyer ??

Has anyone had experience selling their car to an overseas buyer ? My car sold on Ebay, and it turns out my buyer is in Paraguay. He paypal'ed me the deposit right away, and said that his shipper will get it shipped to FL where it will go through customs and such and eventually shipped to Paraguay.

First instinct of course is that it's a scam. However, I'm then thinking to myself, assuming I only sign over the title and hand over the car after I get cleared certified payment or wire transfer that is in the exact amount of the selling price (no overpayment BS), what else can be a risk?

I've also even asked him for a copy of his ID, which he actually has provided.

Thoughts ?
Old 05-09-2018, 09:03 AM

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts

Sounds sketch to me, Unless the guy flew to my city to look at the car in person I'd feel that this would be a sketch transaction. But that's my opinion.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:50 PM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Don't hand over anything until the cash is cleared and in the bank.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by supraken
Has anyone had experience selling their car to an overseas buyer ? My car sold on Ebay, and it turns out my buyer is in Paraguay. He paypal'ed me the deposit right away, and said that his shipper will get it shipped to FL where it will go through customs and such and eventually shipped to Paraguay.

First instinct of course is that it's a scam. However, I'm then thinking to myself, assuming I only sign over the title and hand over the car after I get cleared certified payment or wire transfer that is in the exact amount of the selling price (no overpayment BS), what else can be a risk?

I've also even asked him for a copy of his ID, which he actually has provided.

Thoughts ?
Normally this is done through escrow. International money transactions are also done with a wire transfer to your bank account. If you didn't go through escrow, make sure you give him your banks wire instructions and tell him no transport pickup until the wire transfer is complete. That way the risk is totally on him. Escrow is so neither party is at risk since they handle the entire transaction.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, so sounds like it can still be legit.

He's telling me that this is the company he's using, and will be handling all the paperwork and all: https://www.facebook.com/pg/All-Cars...4326075/about/

He said he already wired the money to them, and they will reach out to me with the payment/pickup and everything. Of course, not going to hand over anything until I have money cleared in my bank. Although I'm still not sure how this company is send me money.

Honestly I'm still pondering over this whole thing, if I should just pull out of it and relist the car, or if this is actually not as bad as I think.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:24 AM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

It's always very odd when these buyers want to move swiftly and immediately with these kinds of purchases without at the least having a live conversation. Anytime I list things on craigslist or ebay and a buyer supposedly wants the item sight unseen, is oversees or can not make the purchase themselves, it always ends up being some idiot and very obvious scam.
It smells like a scan. The email for that company is a Hotmail email address which is very suspect. There is also no formal web page other than that very basic Facebook page anyone could have created. The image on Facebook is of cruise ships LOL - does this company send cars on lavish vacations?! I'd walk away... even if legit I'd personally rather just deal with a local buyer - which I'm sure you can find. Especially on a vehicle like this.

Last edited by MrFunk; 05-10-2018 at 04:32 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:37 AM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

We're all familiar with the 'overpayment' scam. But another one is far harder to detect. They give you a bank check. You go to your bank in person to deposit it and make sure it clears. It does, so you hand over car and title.

Days later bank informs you check is not legit, and removes funds from your account. You're like WTH, YOU put funds in my account, so that means you 'cleared' it. But that doesn't mean check is legit, and bank can't legally be held liable.

Use caution.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:29 AM

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

That link you posted doesn’t work. What’s the name of the shipping company and what’s there address?
Old 05-10-2018, 07:58 AM

Received 1,555 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
We're all familiar with the 'overpayment' scam. But another one is far harder to detect. They give you a bank check. You go to your bank in person to deposit it and make sure it clears. It does, so you hand over car and title.

Days later bank informs you check is not legit, and removes funds from your account. You're like WTH, YOU put funds in my account, so that means you 'cleared' it. But that doesn't mean check is legit, and bank can't legally be held liable.

Use caution.
Yes indeed. It may be several weeks for something insidious to rear it's head. You may want to voice your concerns to the bank; perhaps they can do something to ensure the funds are indeed there and clear.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:00 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

I think it's legit, but it's always good to be extra careful.
Facebook page seems to have good reviews from real people and the website seems somewhat serious All Cars Inc Exportación de autos y maquinaria a Latinoamérica

Quick Reply: Selling car to overseas buyer ??