Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Selling car to overseas buyer ??

Old 05-10-2018, 10:39 AM

Received 1,128 Likes on 991 Posts

Got a link to the ad?

Funniest topic I've read in days!

-- Chuck
Old 05-10-2018, 09:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mattk20
That link you posted doesn’t work. What’s the name of the shipping company and what’s there address?
From the facebook page:

All Cars Inc, Miami - Usa
8440 NW 66th St
Miami, Florida

Call (954) 993-0651

There's also this site which Google thinks it might be hacked??

All Cars Inc | Exportación de autos y maquinaria a Latinoamérica
Old 05-10-2018, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
We're all familiar with the 'overpayment' scam. But another one is far harder to detect. They give you a bank check. You go to your bank in person to deposit it and make sure it clears. It does, so you hand over car and title.

Days later bank informs you check is not legit, and removes funds from your account. You're like WTH, YOU put funds in my account, so that means you 'cleared' it. But that doesn't mean check is legit, and bank can't legally be held liable.

Use caution.
If they pay by wire and that clears, I should be ok, right ? As I understand wire transfers are non-reversible.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:42 AM

If the wire transfer has been processed by your bank via Fedwire/CHIPS and the receiving bank has acknowledged the transfer, then no, it cannot be reversed by sender without the consent / cooperation of the recipient. If the transaction is still in progress (e.g., stuck in your bank's back office somewhere) then it may be possible to stop the transaction.

While it isn't possible for the sender to reverse a transaction that doesn't mean that the sender can't collect the money in other means such as a court order.
Foreign wire transfers can take days.

I find this entire transition suspicious. S2000 cars are not that rare, special or collectible to warrant the effort and expanse to buy one in the US and ship to Paraguay. Not by anyone rational , that is. What was your Ebay ad? Looking at the bids would be interesting. And seeing how "special" your car is.

-- Chuck
Old 05-11-2018, 06:00 AM

Received 1,551 Likes on 920 Posts

Is there any mention of having a "3rd party" guarantee funds or the transaction? If there is, it is in all likelihood fraudulent.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Foreign wire transfers can take days.

I find this entire transition suspicious. S2000 cars are not that rare, special or collectible to warrant the effort and expanse to buy one in the US and ship to Paraguay. Not by anyone rational , that is. What was your Ebay ad? Looking at the bids would be interesting. And seeing how "special" your car is.

-- Chuck

The wire will be from the agent that's located in Miami, who's also the shipping company.

Sorry, I forgot to mention this is not the S that I'm selling, it's 2002 500SL Silver Arrow:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Merced...8AAOSwjB9a6RGs
Old 05-11-2018, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Is there any mention of having a "3rd party" guarantee funds or the transaction? If there is, it is in all likelihood fraudulent.
It's a stateside agent in Miami that's being the middle man, but no mentions of guarantees so far
Old 05-11-2018, 07:55 AM

Received 1,304 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by supraken
If they pay by wire and that clears, I should be ok, right ? As I understand wire transfers are non-reversible.
Don't know. These days even domestically buying a used car from private party is fraught with peril.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:02 AM

Stateside agent check out?

Still makes no sense to me. Still a $13,000 car, nothing rare or exotic (despite Ebay descriptions of everything as rare and exotic). Car had one (1) bid so few folks thought it was worth the starting price. That implies the car was over-priced in the opinion of all but one prospective bidder who wants to spend much more money to ship it to South America.

Wishing you well on the transaction. Who knows, it may go too smooth for comments.

-- Chuck
Old 05-14-2018, 06:33 PM

So, while I was going to find an excuse to pull out of the deal, I had some conversations with the buyer. For one reason or another, I felt a little more comfortable after talking to him. So I decided I would wait for the wire that was going to be sent from the agent in Miami and see what happens.

They actually sent it today, showed up in my bank, and I'm waiting for it to completely clear. It may actually be a legit deal afterall.

Anything else I should be cautious of at this point ? The plan is to sign and send the title to the agent after wire is completely clear. Then the pickup, and I get a bill of landing once the boat is scheduled.

Quick Reply: Selling car to overseas buyer ??