S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   Shipping a car to Europe for a few weeks? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/shipping-car-europe-few-weeks-1177698/)

mosesbotbol 09-18-2017 06:21 AM

Shipping a car to Europe for a few weeks?

Has anyone shipped their car to Europe with US plates to drive around for a short period of time? We are thinking of shipping our car over to Europe for two weeks next summer. The idea was to drive around with US plates. I have seen EU cars on the road here (USA) with EU plates... I have shipped cars to Europe before, but just for selling and were not registered...

freq 09-18-2017 06:30 AM

Rent a car.

mosesbotbol 09-18-2017 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by freq (Post 24356274)
Rent a car.

I can?

This wasn't a question on whether can I rent a car... Renting an Aston for two-three weeks would cost more than shipping my car there & back.

clawhammer 09-18-2017 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by freq (Post 24356274)
Rent a car.

This. If you want a high-end car, Porsche is an excellent option. You can rent an almost new (<1 year old) 911 GTS from the factory in Stuttgart. They will do longer term rental too, I think they even have a monthly rate. In the end, it will probably end up being cheaper than paying for shipping both ways and dealing with customs, and of course being without your car during the process.

mosesbotbol 09-18-2017 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by clawhammer (Post 24356310)
This. If you want a high-end car, Porsche is an excellent option. You can rent an almost new (<1 year old) 911 GTS from the factory in Stuttgart. They will do longer term rental too, I think they even have a monthly rate. In the end, it will probably end up being cheaper than paying for shipping both ways and dealing with customs, and of course being without your car during the process.

I am not very into Porsche... Shipping to and from is 3K and are you sure I would need to pay Customs with an active US plate on the car? I think there may be additional insurance I may need??

mosesbotbol 09-18-2017 07:37 AM

I see Hertz has some exotics for rent. I am getting a quote on a DB9 in Italy for two weeks to see if maybe renting is cheaper? Will post what they say.

vader1 09-18-2017 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 24356268)
I have seen EU cars on the road here (USA) with EU plates...

Most, if not all the US plated vehicles you see aere military. The military will ship your car free to your base when abroad if it is legal to do so. My friend had a Chevy Cavalier in Europe for a few years when stationed in Kosovo. Much easier to rent.

mosesbotbol 09-18-2017 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by vader1 (Post 24356331)
Most, if not all the US plated vehicles you see aere military. The military will ship your car free to your base when abroad if it is legal to do so. My friend had a Chevy Cavalier in Europe for a few years when stationed in Kosovo. Much easier to rent.

Let's see what Hertz comes back with for a two week quote. If their rental is less than 4K for two weeks then I would rent. An automatic DB9 would be nice as I wouldn't be on the hook for driving 100% of the time considering my girlfriend doesn't like driving a manual.

mosesbotbol 09-18-2017 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 24356336)
Let's see what Hertz comes back with for a two week quote. If their rental is less than 4K for two weeks then I would rent.

Hertz just replied with for two week rental:
Ferrari California - 9K + 13K dep
Maserati GranCabrio - 7.5K + 9K dep

clawhammer 09-18-2017 10:11 AM

Shop it around. Avis and Sixt both rent exotics.