Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Shipping a car to Europe for a few weeks?

Old 09-18-2017, 06:21 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts
Question Shipping a car to Europe for a few weeks?

Has anyone shipped their car to Europe with US plates to drive around for a short period of time? We are thinking of shipping our car over to Europe for two weeks next summer. The idea was to drive around with US plates. I have seen EU cars on the road here (USA) with EU plates... I have shipped cars to Europe before, but just for selling and were not registered...
Old 09-18-2017, 06:30 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Rent a car.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by freq
Rent a car.
I can?

This wasn't a question on whether can I rent a car... Renting an Aston for two-three weeks would cost more than shipping my car there & back.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by freq
Rent a car.
This. If you want a high-end car, Porsche is an excellent option. You can rent an almost new (<1 year old) 911 GTS from the factory in Stuttgart. They will do longer term rental too, I think they even have a monthly rate. In the end, it will probably end up being cheaper than paying for shipping both ways and dealing with customs, and of course being without your car during the process.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by clawhammer
This. If you want a high-end car, Porsche is an excellent option. You can rent an almost new (<1 year old) 911 GTS from the factory in Stuttgart. They will do longer term rental too, I think they even have a monthly rate. In the end, it will probably end up being cheaper than paying for shipping both ways and dealing with customs, and of course being without your car during the process.
I am not very into Porsche... Shipping to and from is 3K and are you sure I would need to pay Customs with an active US plate on the car? I think there may be additional insurance I may need??
Old 09-18-2017, 07:37 AM

I see Hertz has some exotics for rent. I am getting a quote on a DB9 in Italy for two weeks to see if maybe renting is cheaper? Will post what they say.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:45 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I have seen EU cars on the road here (USA) with EU plates...

Most, if not all the US plated vehicles you see aere military. The military will ship your car free to your base when abroad if it is legal to do so. My friend had a Chevy Cavalier in Europe for a few years when stationed in Kosovo. Much easier to rent.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by vader1
Most, if not all the US plated vehicles you see aere military. The military will ship your car free to your base when abroad if it is legal to do so. My friend had a Chevy Cavalier in Europe for a few years when stationed in Kosovo. Much easier to rent.
Let's see what Hertz comes back with for a two week quote. If their rental is less than 4K for two weeks then I would rent. An automatic DB9 would be nice as I wouldn't be on the hook for driving 100% of the time considering my girlfriend doesn't like driving a manual.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Let's see what Hertz comes back with for a two week quote. If their rental is less than 4K for two weeks then I would rent.
Hertz just replied with for two week rental:
Ferrari California - 9K + 13K dep
Maserati GranCabrio - 7.5K + 9K dep
Old 09-18-2017, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shop it around. Avis and Sixt both rent exotics.

Quick Reply: Shipping a car to Europe for a few weeks?