Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Shipping a car to Europe for a few weeks?

Old 09-18-2017, 10:19 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by clawhammer
Shop it around. Avis and Sixt both rent exotics.
Avis wants around 9K plus fee for two weeks in DB11, but only looks to be UK so far.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Avis Prestige is by country. Use this link to go to the various country sites: https://www.avis.de/rund-um-avis/mietwagen/prestige

In Germany and Switzerland, they rent Porsches, in Italy, they rent Mercedes (no AMG though). France seems to have an interesting variety, including a BMW i8.

Check with Sixt. A few years back, I rented an Aston Martin at the Frankfurt airport. On their website, they appear to have Mercedes A45 AMG, C63 AMG S, E63 AMG S, S63 convertible, AMG GT S, BMW M2, M3, M6, Jaguar F-Type, etc.
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 12:34 PM
Site Moderator

Received 2,594 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Avis Prestige is by country. Use this link to go to the various country sites: https://www.avis.de/rund-um-avis/mietwagen/prestige

In Germany and Switzerland, they rent Porsches, in Italy, they rent Mercedes (no AMG though). France seems to have an interesting variety, including a BMW i8.

Check with Sixt. A few years back, I rented an Aston Martin at the Frankfurt airport. On their website, they appear to have Mercedes A45 AMG, C63 AMG S, E63 AMG S, S63 convertible, AMG GT S, BMW M2, M3, M6, Jaguar F-Type, etc.
I've used Sixt in the past many times when renting in the UK. Their rates are usually much better than Hertz, etc and offer far better cars.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by sam_spider
I've used Sixt in the past many times when renting in the UK. Their rates are usually much better than Hertz, etc and offer far better cars.
We won't be in the UK on this trip. Some of the quotes were light on daily mileage as well.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:21 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Shipping there and back seems like a huge headache - getting your car to a dock, getting it into a container, hoping its not abused and doesn't get stuck in customs.... just a few issues that come to mind.

Maven is a self-car renting service - not in Europe yet but may be worth keeping an eye on - https://www.maven.com/de/en/

Maybe you can buy an S and then sell it at the end of the trip? Depreciation and money lost on the buy/sale from a dealer can't be more than the numbers you're showing.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:22 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Shop it around. Avis and Sixt both rent exotics.
This.

I know it's not "exotic" but people have rented brand new M3/4s.

Some countries REQUIRE snow tires during certain months as well. Be aware.

Last edited by freq; 09-19-2017 at 04:34 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Maybe you can buy an S and then sell it at the end of the trip? Depreciation and money lost on the buy/sale from a dealer can't be more than the numbers you're showing.
This is an interesting idea. I could go in on a car with my cousin (lives in CH) and then sell it after I leave. Will ask him how much taxes and inspection are on a car purchase. Just as I thought I could potentially sell my car if I brought it over and someone had to have it. A woman wanted to buy it over the weekend, but I haven't owned it long enough to want to sell it. Even if it was a little profit.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:43 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,594 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
We won't be in the UK on this trip.
I am aware. Sixt rents cars across most of the world.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
This is an interesting idea. I could go in on a car with my cousin (lives in CH) and then sell it after I leave. Will ask him how much taxes and inspection are on a car purchase. Just as I thought I could potentially sell my car if I brought it over and someone had to have it. A woman wanted to buy it over the weekend, but I haven't owned it long enough to want to sell it. Even if it was a little profit.
I live in Switzerland. If you are buying the car from a dealer, be prepared to pay up. If you are buying from a private party, you certainly can get a better deal, but it is riskier from the perspective of not finding something, sale falling through, etc. The dealer will then offer you very little as trade-in. If you are buying a car for $25k, expect the dealer to offer you $15k trade-in a month later.

When you buy the car, you need insurance before you can get a license plate. Your cousin will need to register in his name obviously, and he will need to buy the insurance. You'll need to make sure that insurance covers you. Insurance is quite reasonable here, as we have fewer car accidents. Also a very good idea to have a notarized document stating that you are allowed to drive the car, and present it at every border crossing. There was a guy who got fined 15k euros for borrowing his son's car, and driving it across a border without checking in. Yes, it sounds crazy, but they have all kinds of laws like that in the EU, and when you get caught, they are strict.

Inspection will not be a requirement prior to registering it. They call you in for an inspection by appointment, but that will be much later.

Taxes are calculated based on a variety of factors such as weight, horsepower, etc. I paid a little less than $500 to register my car, but if you are buying a gas guzzler that pollutes a lot, I would expect this amount to go up significantly.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:01 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Yes, it sounds crazy, but they have all kinds of laws like that in the EU, and when you get caught, they are strict.
I got hit by a speed camera in Switzerland, a 45 mph zone (or whatever the kph equivalent it) maybe 10 -15 mph over the limit, cost, $700. USD.

Quick Reply: Shipping a car to Europe for a few weeks?