Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Shipping a car to Europe for a few weeks?

Old 09-20-2017, 07:03 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a dream of shipping my S over to Europe, driving it around there, maybe a few (mild) laps around the 'Ring, etc. Yeah, it's not cheap, but $3k isn't THAT much money balanced against what you'd have to pay anyways to rent a car for a week or two (maybe $1k?) What's ~$2k to check something off the bucket list?
Old 09-20-2017, 08:55 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stack
I have a dream of shipping my S over to Europe, driving it around there, maybe a few (mild) laps around the 'Ring, etc. Yeah, it's not cheap, but $3k isn't THAT much money balanced against what you'd have to pay anyways to rent a car for a week or two (maybe $1k?) What's ~$2k to check something off the bucket list?
Exactly... You get my point of the original post. There is something to driving your own car in another land that renting won't match.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:55 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Well if you do it, it sounds like there are plenty of people who'd be interested in hearing about the shipping experience.
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (09-21-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 06:09 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I've wanted to do this as well. I think your problem is going to be at the port of entry, that's when you're going to get nabbed for taxes. I suspect if you were able to get past that and didn't break any laws while driving, police would assume you're military.

I wouldn't pay $10k to rent an exotic. Heck it would be fun enough for me to bring the muscle car and rip up some great European roads.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:25 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stack
Well if you don't need the car for the whole trip there are a couple businesses that rent track prepped cars for laps around the ring. But I get the idea. There are tons of great roads to drive and more than just laps around the ring in a car that you are in love with driving if that is what you want.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:40 AM

Reading online that AAA is a good place to start of guidance on shipping a car to drive in Europe.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:43 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Well if you don't need the car for the whole trip there are a couple businesses that rent track prepped cars for laps around the ring. But I get the idea. There are tons of great roads to drive and more than just laps around the ring in a car that you are in love with driving if that is what you want.
This article was my inspiration that this little fantasy is not so absurd:

Ultimate Fantasy 2: Volkswagen Scirocco - Automobile Magazine
The following 2 users liked this post by Chris Stack:
CMK (11-08-2017), Saki GT (09-28-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 08:03 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

I've been on track days at Spa where folks had shipped cars from the USA for the event, so it's certainly doable. I'm afraid I don't have any details on the logistics of doing so.

There are plenty of US registered/military-owned cars driving around Europe on US plates. Provided you are in the EU (which does not include Switzerland) you can use the US plates for a 6 months before you have to re-register the car locally.

You will have to be able to prove ownership and insurance, and also carry various things like hi-visibility vest for each passenger. There's a useful summary here: https://www.theaa.com/european-break...ving-in-france
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (10-02-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 04:13 AM

So, I don't think I will be shipping the Vantage to Europe next summer... I am buying an Aston Martin Rapide and that's going to cut into the budget I would use to ship the Vantage.

Anyone here have any experience with the Rapide?
Old 10-25-2017, 06:10 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I've never owned one, but my experience from owners and enthusiasts sums as "Pretty to look at, expensive to keep running, buy a Jaguar instead", but you are familiar with the AM experience.

Congrats on the new ride though!

Quick Reply: Shipping a car to Europe for a few weeks?