Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Shocker - My Cadillac hasn't been perfectly reliable

Old 11-24-2017, 06:26 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
So you liking the chassis then? I'm still seriously considering a camaro.

I really like it. The 2017 model seems to have fallen behind some of the most recent offerings from the Germans (according to the magazines), but nothing that was a couple years new held a candle to it as a complete package. Plus, as I've said before, I love the interior. It's not as nice as an Audi interior (nor as fussy, though) but I find it to be way nicer inside than anything that was comparably priced from Lexus, Acura, Infinity, etc. I also love the logic of the memory seats and the door locks and all that. That seems like a minor thing, but every time I get out of my wife's Acura and then go to get one of my kids out of the back seat only to find their door is locked and I have to either hit the clicker or reopen the drivers door and hit the switch, I curse the nation of Japan. Haha. Also, the remote start and keyless entry works for, no joke, at least 100 yards away and probably twice that far. It is unreal.

It really is the perfect daily driver for me. Quick enough to get out of its own way, handles well, stops well, is reasonably safe, fits me like a glove (I'm a small guy and I don't care for big cars), and is nice looking without trying too hard or have spent my kids college fund.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:31 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

As a follow-up, how has your Cadillac been over the last year?

I'm looking at a 2015 ATS with the 3.6L and Performance Package and wanted a bit of first-hand feedback. Personally, I love the looks (inside and out) and with Brembo brakes and an LSD and RWD, it seems like a good compromise for a DD that I can use for the family in an emergency... I might go with AWD, just for mountain driving in the winter but we do that so little that I don't know that I want to sacrifice the fun of RWD for it. Our Odyssey with Blizzaks will probably suffice in the mountains.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:51 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
I just thought I'd give you guys a quick update. I bought a 2014 Cadillac ATS about a year and a half ago. It's had a couple hiccups. The touch screen stopped responding to touch, the real axle seals have leaked, the fan for the AC wasn't blowing at full blast, and my drivers side strut blew out (which may have been my fault, having hit a gnarly pothole). In any event, all that stuff has been covered by warranty and the dealership has treated me like royalty.

In summation, I'd say that the car has had some issues but I'm still glad I bought it instead of the Acuras I was considering. The pros make up for the cons. I'm hopeful that all the little bugs have been sorted and it will be trouble-free going forward, but I like the car enough to stomach these issues.
Well, if you have had 4 problems, that is four more than I had when I bought the BMW that everyone told me would be a giant headache and has been flawless. But I think it is a crap shoot as to luck with these things. You could probably find ten guys who bought the ATS and had zero issues.

I go back and forth with the idea of a Golf R, but then you here a million horror stories from VW owners, but that is what they said about my 3 series and the R comes with a 6/72 now so that is good.

You said stuff was covered by warranty, was that the original or a certified car warranty? I think on any expensive car that you buy as a low mile lease return the certified warranty is worth at least $1,000 higher purchase price.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:48 PM

Received 1,102 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
As a follow-up, how has your Cadillac been over the last year?

I'm looking at a 2015 ATS with the 3.6L and Performance Package and wanted a bit of first-hand feedback. Personally, I love the looks (inside and out) and with Brembo brakes and an LSD and RWD, it seems like a good compromise for a DD that I can use for the family in an emergency... I might go with AWD, just for mountain driving in the winter but we do that so little that I don't know that I want to sacrifice the fun of RWD for it. Our Odyssey with Blizzaks will probably suffice in the mountains.
My mom has a 2016 ATS 2.0 and the car has been dead reliable. No issues, hiccups etc. It is a tight fit for more than 2 people, but if you are just running out for dinner with the kids or friends, it's 100% fine.
She used to have a CTS V6 but she felt it was too big for her. I did try to convince her to get the ATV V series but she passed on that- but maybe her next one will
The following users liked this post:
JonBoy (11-14-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 02:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
I really like it. The 2017 model seems to have fallen behind some of the most recent offerings from the Germans (according to the magazines), but nothing that was a couple years new held a candle to it as a complete package. Plus, as I've said before, I love the interior. It's not as nice as an Audi interior (nor as fussy, though) but I find it to be way nicer inside than anything that was comparably priced from Lexus, Acura, Infinity, etc. I also love the logic of the memory seats and the door locks and all that. That seems like a minor thing, but every time I get out of my wife's Acura and then go to get one of my kids out of the back seat only to find their door is locked and I have to either hit the clicker or reopen the drivers door and hit the switch, I curse the nation of Japan. Haha. Also, the remote start and keyless entry works for, no joke, at least 100 yards away and probably twice that far. It is unreal.

It really is the perfect daily driver for me. Quick enough to get out of its own way, handles well, stops well, is reasonably safe, fits me like a glove (I'm a small guy and I don't care for big cars), and is nice looking without trying too hard or have spent my kids college fund.
I know it's an old post, but in our 2012 MDX (possibly my 07 TL as well) I can set up whether or not to unlock just the drivers door, or all doors when you turn off the car under one of the settings in the MID?

Or is your caddy intelligent enough that it knows whether or not someone has opened one of the rears doors and unlocks based on that?