S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   Six figure hot rods/muscle car. (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/six-figure-hot-rods-muscle-car-784325/)

07gpwS2K 04-25-2010 04:15 AM

Six figure hot rods/muscle car.

Opinions?

I found this on eBay and it got me to thinking about the subject.

Personally, I think it's crazy. Do I understand how a resto could creep over $100K? Yes, I do. But a $275,000 '32 Ford roadster...??? And what gets me is in the description he says "The asking price is well below the replacement cost." How is that possible?!?! What has been paid for here?? It is an absolutely BEAUTIFUL roadster; the paint is flawless, the color combo of the silver/saddle is fantastic, and there's a copious amount of chrome and polish... But $275K?? And that supposed to be BELOW the build cost??

:faint:

I love hot rods and muscle cars, but some of these price tags are just silly. :lalala:

ElTianti 04-25-2010 05:41 AM

I don't get hot rods but, there is a LOT of hand labor goes into making one of these things.

cutes2k 04-25-2010 07:43 AM

http://australianmusclecarsales.com.au/mus...9-xy-gtho-phase

They have gone for as much as $1000000.

Mr.E.G. 04-25-2010 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by ElTianti,Apr 25 2010, 05:41 AM
I don't get hot rods but, there is a LOT of hand labor goes into making one of these things.

Even still, a reasonably skilled hobbiest can build one of these from scratch. They are incredibly simplistic vehicles and it is just terribly hard to imagine how 250k worth of cost has gone into building something that is as technically challenging to build as a Ford Ranger.

For the record, I am referring to the metalwork, suspension, frame, etc. Perhaps they had the interior pieces handcrafted by Tibetan Monks who use needles made from the bones of a the Dodo bird and thread made from the pubic hair of a woolly mammoth.

In other words, the materials or some scarce technique may be factored into the cost of this thing, but a technically similar version could be made for considerably less money.

sparrow 04-25-2010 09:47 AM

maybe he is charging for man hours from 1932 until now

Penforhire 04-25-2010 11:05 AM

I think you guys totally underestimate the labor required to do these types of jobs right.

I logged about 750 hours restoring an old motorcycle myself. No, I'm not the fastest mechanic you ever saw but I also wasn't fabricating very much from scratch, just bringing it back from rust-bucket to not-quite-museum condition (no bolt left unturned, lol). Figure $100 per hour for skilled labor, cut the time by 1/3rd for mad skillz, and do the math. It would have cost me $50K in labor... for a freaking bike!

Mr.E.G. 04-25-2010 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Penforhire,Apr 25 2010, 11:05 AM
I think you guys totally underestimate the labor required to do these types of jobs right.

I logged about 750 hours restoring an old motorcycle myself. No, I'm not the fastest mechanic you ever saw but I also wasn't fabricating very much from scratch, just bringing it back from rust-bucket to not-quite-museum condition (no bolt left unturned, lol). Figure $100 per hour for skilled labor, cut the time by 1/3rd for mad skillz, and do the math. It would have cost me $50K in labor... for a freaking bike!

I totally get that bur I just don't think it works that way when trying to sell your project. If you built your own log cabin and it took you 5000 hours and you figure that your time is worth $100 an hour, would your cabin actually be worth $500k? Maybe it would and maybe it wouldn't. If at the end if the day it took you $500k worth of time to build something that a buyer would only pay $100k for, I think you'd be hard pressed to get what you put into it.

Lithium Lotus 04-25-2010 12:24 PM

Hot Rodding is more then just buying something off the internet and putting it on the car. Your dedicated hot rodders build 1-of-1 cars that can't be compared to the next car. It's like painting the Mona Lisa versus buying a print copy. The high dollar cars like the one you posted, nothing is left untouched by the builder. If you look at the high end builders, Chip Foose, Boyd Coddington, Troy Trepanier, and other builders, they don't drive stock. Or you can look at it this way, you can build a dream ride versus purchasing a mass produced copy. If you ever get the chance, I highly suggest going to The Good Guys carshow in Columbus, Ohio. It's the largest gathering of hotrods around the country.

2slow2Bfurious 04-25-2010 01:35 PM

i don't like hot rods myself, but i have to admit that this car is beyond belief. It's beautiful and i suppose that depending on the builder, it might or might not be worth 275k, but it's being sold in America and America still goes bonkers for hot rods.

Vik2000 04-25-2010 02:48 PM

well if he has enough cash to wipe your ass, u can get one? I personally don't see any value in those simply because I'm not even interested lol. I'm sure there'll always be people who want these?