Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

So I ended up buying a Focus ST last week

Old 03-10-2014, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So I ended up buying a Focus ST last week

Hey guys! I've been tossing back and forth between the idea of which car to buy for a daily lately and recently picked up an Oxford White 14' ST. Here's a fairly quick review of the car, why I bought it, and what I like and don't like.

Why I bought it: When looking for a daily I wanted it to be comfy, somewhat nice of an interior although I was prepared for bare bones and cloth, and a good drive while maintaining reasonable fuel consumption and operating costs. I was cross-shopping the GTI, Civic Si, WRX, and Focus ST. I had a good amount of experience with the Civic Si and had already planned to stay in the honda family as I have previously owned an 8th gen before. Long story short the Ford blew the Si out of the water. Interior quality, fit and finish (yeah I know, it's weird hearing it) and the drive were all quite a bit better to me. I ended up getting a fully loaded ST3 Focus for 23 + Tax which is about the same price I can get an Si for in California. When the pricing between the models is within 2k, I would have had to have been crazy to settle for a car with less of everything for the same money. Even if its a Honda.

Things I like: This car drives so smoothly and so quietly half the time I can't believe I am in a Ford. The interior is just ridiculously nice - the Recaro seats, the navi, the dash are all very simple and easy to use and the car has some cool gimmicky features I've come to enjoy. That being said steering feel is precise and the car is nimble. The steering rack is pretty aggressive as well as the car has a "dartiness" to it I also didn't expect. The shifter is amazing - think of a perfect cross between S2000 and STI and that is what you get. I like the rear and side profile though the front grill wasn't exactly the coolest thing in the world in my eyes. I'm getting about 29-30mpg but I've only gone through one tank. The motor is torquey, and smooth - very smooth. A lot of the reviews said this car was "rough around the edges" and I completely disagree. Maybe my idea of rough around the edges varies, which I can attribute to being a modded S2000 owner.

Things I don't like Heel toe is a bit hard, the pedal position is pretty retarded. It is doable, I just need to take some time to get used to it. I also don't like that I can't floor it yet because I need to break in the motor. I can't really think of anything else I don't like. Bear in mind I own two cars and for the purpose of fun daily that doesn't annoy me or cross into the realm of "too much" this car is perfect.

And the best thing about the car is that it makes my S2000 that much more enjoyable on the weekends. Because it is so soft and smooth the S2000 comes off as way more Raw than I remember it every time I get behind the wheel. So not only did I get a great livable daily driver with a ton of amenities and is a great driver in and of itself - my current weekender feels like even more of a sports car due to the transition. Best of every world, really

I'm sure I left out a lot but if anyone has any specific questions please do ask and I'll do my best to answer from an S2000 owner perspective. I don't have kids or a wife but the backseat is plenty roomy for normal sized adults. Two baby seats wouldn't be a problem AT ALL, imo. Thanks for reading!
Old 03-10-2014, 09:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the motor broken in yet? How do you like the overall power? Any plans to mod it?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
Is the motor broken in yet? How do you like the overall power? Any plans to mod it?
Not yet! The overall power is great, low and midrange are way more than needed to get around town easily.

I am going to say that I have no plans to mod it, and forcing myself to stay the hell off of any forums. I read a youtube comment that a filter and a tune (less than 800) will net 50 hp and 50 tq. I don't need that kind of information in my life right now lol
Old 03-10-2014, 09:37 AM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Congrats on the purchase! I have a respect for them since my friend bought his last year. With only an intake and chip he made over 300lb/ft and mid to upper 200 whp. It's a very unassuming and comfy car.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:45 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

They're great looking cars, for sure. Great choice and, since it's new, you have warranty in case it doesn't hold up so well. A few friends here have them and they all love them.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:57 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Great pick up - I've not driven the ST, just the other models, and think the Focus is pretty much the best small car out there now. Features, economy, fun to drive, and looks.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:00 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I seriously want one of these but can't justify trading in the Mazda3i with good gas mileage and regular fuel for something that takes Premium and a lot more of it. Car looks great!
Old 03-10-2014, 12:03 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

You should be pushing the motor to set the rings!

Tune options probably make this more interesting for people. The lack of a decent diff however is a turn off.

Report back on how you like it soon will you?
Old 03-10-2014, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
I seriously want one of these but can't justify trading in the Mazda3i with good gas mileage and regular fuel for something that takes Premium and a lot more of it. Car looks great!
I wanted a 5MT in blue for a 14 and they had some pretty good option packages, but the price for the 3 with the options comes to ST range. A fully loaded 3 goes for ~30k nowadays. The Mazda salesperson said they were targetting the 3 series and although the car was really nice fully loaded I could never shell out that much for it given the performance. At the end of the day I wanted the sporty daily that left me engaged. If I ended up with a mazda it would be the new 6, which is great. It was just way too big and way too "daddy" car for me.

Let's put it this way, for a mid 20's working professional if I had to live with only one car could I do so with the ST? Yep. If I wanted to spend more money I'd have an STI. I have the S2000 for my enjoyment so I have the raw drop top sporty weekend car all sorted out. The Focus ST is the perfect compliment without being boring and mundane. I hope that helps paint a picture of the niche this car fits in.

Sporty, fun to drive, fairly economical, nice amenities and a great price. If you care for driving at all this is definitely one to look at, IMO.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did u look at/drive a gti? curious as to what made you choose the st over it?

Quick Reply: So I ended up buying a Focus ST last week