Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Sold the Insight after 3 weeks, Now want to sell my Si after 5 weeks, What next?

Old 07-21-2011, 04:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sold the Insight after 3 weeks, Now want to sell my Si after 5 weeks, What next?

Good morning,
I'm having a hard time deciding which car to purchase next. I originally wanted a $1000 car and was looking at the 3rd generation Prelude and 80s BMWs. Ended up spending 6x that amount the first time around.

In May I purchased a first generation Honda Insight because I put a lot of miles on my car everyday to commute to work. It saved me (at the time) $6-7 daily in fuel costs ($120-140 a month). In reality it saved me maybe $20-30 total as I barely drove it. I continued to take the S2000. Even though I averaged 65mpg driving it normally and not hypermiling, the car was a little scary at 80mph (sways back and forth due to wind, it's lightweight aluminum body, and very slim tires). Not to mention I felt like a huge dork in the car. Anyway, I sold it after owning it for a total of 3 weeks.

So then I went back to searching. Thought about the $1000 cars again. Then I really started to like the 04/05 Civic Si. Was very close to purchasing one until I found a great deal on a '06 Civic Si Coupe with HFP kit, HFP sport muffler, HFP suspension. I really like this car. I now understand what all the reviews said about the car. It doesn't have to be fast to have fun. It's plenty for the highway and around town. The car is so well maintained, my mileage is quite a bit higher than what the EPA rates it. This is with the AC on all the time and driving normally, not slow. I put just over 3000 miles in one month since I also drove to Ohio with it. Very comfortable.

Anyway, I now want to sell it after 5 weeks. I sold the Insight to get a more practical vehicle and this car is more practical. Just not as practical as I thought. I feel like a highschool kid driving the car with people in the backseat. Even though most of the time it's just me driving alone, I do prefer a sedan. So I am now considering a 4-door Civic Si. I always liked the 4-door more but this deal was perfect for me at the time as I had cash burning a hole in my pocket then. I will just roll over what I get from this car into the next car. I will take out a loan to pay the difference but that is not an issue. I will not be modding the car more than a set of wheels and a factory lip kit. Now I am stuck with a few choices. While I don't plan to do this commute forever, I do plan to drive for many years to come so that is why you will see me considering a hybrid again. If I go for a new car, I will not be selling it after a month or even year. I will be keeping it for 5+ years the very least.

-2009/2010/2011 cpo or new leftover Civic Si Sedan. Wait for the new 2012 Civic Si Sedan with it's 2.4l. I personally don't care about the engine difference, I just prefer it because it's a new bodystyle and will look newer in several years.

-2011 new Insight. Or wait for 2012 Insight to see if there are any changes (refreshed bumpers/interior/anything). Considering the Insight because of it's gas mileage and it is Civic sized. It's also comfortable enough. I would purchase the EX with NAV or EX and add in an aftermarket navigation for the same/similar cost but come out ahead since Honda's oem navigation looks like it belongs in the early-mid 2000s.

-E46 M3. Just because I always wanted it and now that I can afford it as a 2nd vehicle, I am shying away from it because it would put me in the same position I am in now. I would only go this route if I sell my S2000 as well and get another sub16k 4 door to replace it.

What is the best choice?

S2000+Civic Si Sedan (09-11)
S2000+Civic Si Sedan (2012)
S2000+Insight(2011/2012)
E46 M3+Civic LX/EX (2006ish) or similar 4 door compact carother .. if you can think of another 4 door besides the Civic Si that gets 30mpg highway, please say so.

If it makes any difference, my AP1 S2000 (AP2 front end conversion) is very well maintained with no issues. I purchased it with 9000 miles on it and now it has just over 50,000.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:30 AM

From the sound of it, you might hate the Insight. This thing has no power, and you will hate it in a few weeks after purchase.

IMO, I would rather get a Jetta/Golf TDI, Honda Civic HX, or 2012 Mazda3. These three are fun to drive and will get 40mpg highway. Perfect fit for your requirement.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:52 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

You aren't going to get 40mpg out of a Mazda3 on the highway, unless that highway has a 60 mph speed limit and it's downhill all the way.

Personally, I'd keep the S2000 and get a NORMAL Civic EX. Excellent gas mileage, still decently fun to drive with a 5MT, upgraded stereo, cheap, easy to find, super reliable, and lots of room. The Si is very similar to an S2000 (louder, similarly quick in city driving, quick steering, harsher ride) and I don't see a point in repeating that driving experience.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:53 AM

GTI
Old 07-21-2011, 07:32 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

For me the Hyundai Elantra is a no brainer @ 30 MPG.... City/40 hwy.

it looks good, drives great, and has all the modern technology you could want for cheap.

it also looks handsome IMO.

I have a problem paying top dollar for 2yo civics. might as well buy new for only 10% off.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:39 AM

get a CR-Z.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:51 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

ahahahah.. at least you hopefully aren't losing your ass on these cars..... i hate when i think something is going to be really cool and i hate it immediately (2010 Mazdaspeed 3).... i lost $6k in a heartbeat on that piece of shit.

I had a 2006 Spec V Nissan Sentra 6 speed and got 30+ mpg at 85mph when i took it on trips. The price of the Nissan's are way cheaper than Civic Si's.... The 2007 and new spec V's have the same basic 2.5L 200hp engine but have lots of torque compared to Honda's lame 130ft lbs...

S2000+2007 (or newer) Nissan Sentra SER Spec V
Old 07-21-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
You aren't going to get 40mpg out of a Mazda3 on the highway, unless that highway has a 60 mph speed limit and it's downhill all the way.
You have not heard of the new direct injection 2.0L engine? That is coming as an option for 2012 for both the sedan/wagon. 40 mpg highway is the new holy grail for car makers.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that you need to decide what kind of car you want. It sounds like you want a car that gets good MPG, but doesn't suck. You want an M3, but want to get 30+MPG...

If highway MPG is all that matters to you, get a Gen 1 CTSV. If you can manage to keep your foot out of it for a full tank of freeway driving, you'll get 30mpg, everywhere else you'll struggle to get 20, but you have never stated that city MPG was important.

If you want an econo box, get one, but don't expect it to feel special compared to your s2k.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:18 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by marthafokker
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1311259978' post='20800911
You have not heard of the new direct injection 2.0L engine? That is coming as an option for 2012 for both the sedan/wagon. 40 mpg highway is the new holy grail for car makers.
I have heard of the new Sky engines for Mazda. They're just not out yet and he's buying now.

On a side note, I can't wait to sample the Mazda Sky Diesel engine in a small SUV or hatchback. Sounds like a great combo to me, something I wish Honda would do (bring their 2.2L diesel from Europe over here).

Quick Reply: Sold the Insight after 3 weeks, Now want to sell my Si after 5 weeks, What next?