Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Sold my S2000. Help me pick a new car.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i thought about the e36M and the g35C but neither are considered "mod friendly", granted I'm not terribly familiar with the e36. I know the G35 is quite reliable but neither of these cars will get GTO's power/mod friendliness/MPG ratio.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moddiction
You can get an is350 for 12-15k?
Not one you would want to own.

GTO for sure.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:32 AM

Why does 100,000 miles scare you off? Most cars in your price range are going to be so near that mileage that mileage that it's not going to make much difference at all.

Anyhow, the GTO or a WRX are going to be your only real options.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:20 AM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

Track use, that's how I gauge a car's reliability, performance, and aftermarket support - by how often and how many of them you see at the track (exotics and extremely low production numbers not included). Unless you have really deep pockets, you don't want an unreliable track car. If you're tracking, you definitely want aftermarket support, and you obviously take the whole package into consideration where performance is concerned...

Can't remember the last time I saw a gto, is350, or g35 at the track in the last 3 years that I've been going... also, the vq35 is far from a reliable motor - avoid that thing.

Granted, you're not looking for a track car, but as an all around package, the e36 m3 fits the bill best (tons of them at auto-x and hpde). They definitely have aftermarket support.

That being said, gto is probably a good choice. Reliability, would be good too since it's essentially a vette. I'd just be concerned with little things breaking that are not shared with the vette...
Old 11-05-2012, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bullwings
Track use, that's how I gauge a car's reliability, performance, and aftermarket support - by how often and how many of them you see at the track (exotics and extremely low production numbers not included). Unless you have really deep pockets, you don't want an unreliable track car. If you're tracking, you definitely want aftermarket support, and you obviously take the whole package into consideration where performance is concerned...

Can't remember the last time I saw a gto, is350, or g35 at the track in the last 3 years that I've been going... also, the vq35 is far from a reliable motor - avoid that thing.

Granted, you're not looking for a track car, but as an all around package, the e36 m3 fits the bill best (tons of them at auto-x and hpde). They definitely have aftermarket support.

That being said, gto is probably a good choice. Reliability, would be good too since it's essentially a vette. I'd just be concerned with little things breaking that are not shared with the vette...

Oh man, you go to the track a lot? Can I have your autograph?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any other recommendations?
Old 11-05-2012, 09:02 PM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by alex s
Originally Posted by Bullwings' timestamp='1352139641' post='22130849

Oh man, you go to the track a lot? Can I have your autograph?
Only if you agree to sponsor me and cover my consumables expenses. I don't give it out loosely - it's worth quite a bit these days...

Originally Posted by D's Up.
Any other recommendations?
Need more criteria.
Drive train layouts? transmission? specific definition of "decent" mpg? age of vehicle?

I mostly agree with what has been listed so far. Maybe throw a Mini S in there.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:11 PM

If you are willing to spend nearly 15k, you should be able to get a 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 in very nice condition. They definitely have good torque down low, but I am not sure how big of a requirement it is for you. Another possibility is an MKV Gti, although the TSI motor (same motor as is in the MKVI GTI) is definitely recommended vs. the FSI for reliability reasons, and is only on 2008.5 and newer models, and then you are going to be hard pressed to find a really nice example for under $15k. I like the idea of a GTO as others have mentioned, seeing as how you are in California and should not need to worry about snow, unless you are planning on taking it to the Sierras in the late fall-early spring. And finally, I would definitely consider a WRX, especially a "hawkeye" (2006-2007), although you will be hard pressed to find a nice example for much under $15k as they hold their value very well, and the same could be said about a 2005+ Legacy GT, as that is another possibility. You could get a nice 02-05 WRX for under $15k, but the 2.0 liter engines are not known for having much torque down low as the turbo does not spool until well over 3k rpm I believe unlike the 2.5 litre, where the torque and I believe turbo spools down lower providing ample torque.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:19 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Cooper S
Old 11-15-2012, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on MCS

Quick Reply: Sold my S2000. Help me pick a new car.