Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

STI is not greater than S2K

Old 07-28-2006, 06:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Evo is a better car performance wise than the STi. But the STi is still a great car. Way different than an S2k, though, obviously.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm really hoping the Evo X takes a big step foward from the econo-shitbox that the base car is today. AND, that the mad scientists at RalliArt still can apply their special sauce to the Caliber platform. That is definitely trying to satisfy several divergent goals at once, but if they can pull it off you will be looking at my next car.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:46 AM

STi is certainly not as edgy as the S2000.. that's a given. There's one thing that will always make the STi a "lesser car" than the S2000. The AWD layout really makes this car idiot proof. You can be stupid and get away with it in the STi... you can't with the S2000. Its that simple. That makes all the difference, IMO.

However, with that being said, the STi is a hoot once you mod it, especially suspension wise. Slap on some big sway bars and some coilovers and the fun factor really changes quite a bit... then there's always the TBE + AccessPort. The midrange power with that setup is intoxicating.

Once properly setup, a STi can be quite invigorating to drive... I personally miss mine.

As far as your brake issues.. Im quite surprised and you might be alone in that. I did plenty of spirited driving on stock brakes and found them adequate to everything I did. The ONE time that the brakes were not up to snuff was during a CA Speedway trackday last year where I boiled my fluid. I switched to Hawk HPS and flushed the fluid to Motul and never looked back. I was braking deeper and deeper in the straights (from 125mph down to speeds <50) to take the sharp turns after the straights.

Your issue with the brakes is simply that the modulation is COMPLETELY different between both cars. While the S2000 has a sensitive brake pedal, the STi has a firm, wooden like feel. You really have to STOMP on it hard to get it done. I had an issue with this too, its somewhat hard to get used to especially after hoping out of a S2000.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by F1DNA,Jul 28 2006, 09:56 AM
My son has a STi. It is definitely faster than my S2000, but not as much fun to drive
but understand...it is faster in a straight line, but not through corners and the S brakes better....so, the S to me is faster by my definition of fast
Old 07-28-2006, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by jsalicru,Jul 28 2006, 10:46 AM
STi is certainly not as edgy as the S2000.. that's a given. There's one thing that will always make the STi a "lesser car" than the S2000. The AWD layout really makes this car idiot proof. You can be stupid and get away with it in the STi... you can't with the S2000. Its that simple. That makes all the difference, IMO.

However, with that being said, the STi is a hoot once you mod it, especially suspension wise. Slap on some big sway bars and some coilovers and the fun factor really changes quite a bit... then there's always the TBE + AccessPort. The midrange power with that setup is intoxicating.

Once properly setup, a STi can be quite invigorating to drive... I personally miss mine.

As far as your brake issues.. Im quite surprised and you might be alone in that. I did plenty of spirited driving on stock brakes and found them adequate to everything I did. The ONE time that the brakes were not up to snuff was during a CA Speedway trackday last year where I boiled my fluid. I switched to Hawk HPS and flushed the fluid to Motul and never looked back. I was braking deeper and deeper in the straights (from 125mph down to speeds <50) to take the sharp turns after the straights.

Your issue with the brakes is simply that the modulation is COMPLETELY different between both cars. While the S2000 has a sensitive brake pedal, the STi has a firm, wooden like feel. You really have to STOMP on it hard to get it done. I had an issue with this too, its somewhat hard to get used to especially after hoping out of a S2000.
I agree with you alot....the stopping power of the Sti is very good...the pads just can't handle the heat over repeated hard braking sessions...no big deal though...i will be getting some porterfields soon
Old 07-28-2006, 08:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oshp515,Jul 28 2006, 08:40 AM
but understand...it is faster in a straight line, but not through corners and the S brakes better....so, the S to me is faster by my definition of fast
That may and may not be true. What cars hold the fastest times at Tsukuba? Answer: AWD

Subaru and Honda are the loves of my life (material-wise anyway )

The STI and S2K are completely different platforms that should be appreciated as such. No need to compare and rate "whose better"! They are both awesome machines built for different purposes.

And for those that like the EVO's (J/K ) I tend to be that way since I love Subie's!

My only gripe with the EVO is that it doesn't take any real effort to drive! The computers basically do all the driving! So that takes some of the fun out of the car....

EVO - Electric Handling
STI - Mechanical Handling
Old 07-28-2006, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by oshp515,Jul 28 2006, 08:40 AM
But its not. I pulled much faster AutoX times in my Sti over the S2000 sure the S2000 was fun. The S2000 cut the slalums like butter, the Sti gave you an arm workout.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:49 PM

you guys did not read what I said closely enough....i said by MY definition of fast....Also, I would hope a turbo AWD could lap faster or something is seriously wrong
Old 07-29-2006, 06:01 PM

while you're entitled to your opinion....

I love my STi - just flashed Cobb Stage 1 and I'm never looking back....
Old 07-29-2006, 06:24 PM

running '04 WRX with VF34 and Cobb stage 2.5...when the car kicks in at 3500RPM it's like VTECH at 6K but more kick in the pants feel. you can do a lot of suspension mods to the STI or the WRX to make it "close" in feeling. another thing you can do is change out the STI steering rack for a quicker one (as quick if not quicker than S2K). Call Aerosim in Costa Mesa for more details.

Quick Reply: STI is not greater than S2K