Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Suggestions for a daily driver?

Old 10-05-2004, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for a daily driver?

Ok, so here's the deal. Grad school is over soon and I need a daily driver. The S simply isn't going to cut it for commuting everyday, plus I love the S too much to subject her to the daily grind (she's an 01 with 4500 miles). Currently I am driving an '89 Supra daily (its actually a gem w/ only 60k), but, i need something more reliable and more long-term. I will be working in Charlotte, NC, so winter driving won't be too much of a concern. Here is what I am looking at:

-something around $25k...willing to spend up to $30k, but it better be good
-MUST be manual, RWD (or AWD), and moderately fun to drive
-thinking sedan, but would consider a coupe or even a small SUV
-gas mileage is a concern
-used cars concern me...I am going to put between 15-20k annually on the car, so it has to be very low mileage (aka-newer)

I have been having trouble finding cars with the above specs. I like the G35 sedan, but its a little too much $$ considering I already have the S (two $30k+ cars are a little much for me). Also, I have been looking at the new Legacy GT. The Saab 9-2x also is appealing for some unknown reason. I actually like the sporty version of the Jetta (with the 6 speed), but its FWD. The VW R32 is pretty awesome, but very small. I'd consider the RX8, but i think its kinda ugly and apparently gets horrible gas mileage. I'm also kinda enomored with the new 2005 Xterra that has yet to come out (240+hp, 6 speed, decent gas mileage). As you can see, I am all over the board. Any suggestions or experience with the above mentioned cars would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Old 10-05-2004, 06:02 PM

Legacy GT I've heard really good things about it if I get a second car that's what it will be....

I could never drive an SUV
Old 10-05-2004, 06:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

X-Terra: Granted my experience is with an 03. Slow, poorly put together (a Nissan trend of late it seems, boo) Cheap feeling. Decent off road, lots of room, decent stereo.

Jetta: No experience. FWD is so 1980's.

R32: Are you kidding me 32 grand for that? Then again, you can pick up used ones cheap. Best to take a look and see if it has enough room for you. Might be the rose of the group for you.

RX-8: Horrible gas mileage, somewhat ugly in person. It does have a back seat, decent handling, good shifter -- but perhaps too much like the S2000. Variety is nice and all.

Saab: I am in the same boat, I can't figure it out. The WRX is such an ugly shoe box, but the Saab ... mmm.

Why not throw the EVO into the mix here? Great used prices, remainder of warranty. Probably the most fun for the money out there.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:05 PM

IS300 or G35 or

Prius if gas gets more expensive.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:06 PM

E36 M3
Old 10-05-2004, 07:02 PM

Yea...I'm really hearing some good things about the Lagacy GT also. I went and looked at one today and it looked great in person. I'll have to wrangle up a test drive sometime. Anyone have any experience??

I'd love to get the older style M3 (actually almost got a used one instead of the S back in the day) but I'd need to find one with very low mileage and I don't like the idea of 0 warrantee or the idea of paying to fix it WHEN it breaks.

Are there any other RWD cars for around 25k that I'm forgetting about??
Old 10-05-2004, 07:26 PM

I dunno if those cars get acceptable gas mileage than the S2000 should work for u. I think an S2000 would make an awesome daily driver...

R32: you've gotta be kidding me, more than $30,000 for what is basically a fcking suped up VW Golf? People are nuts.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:32 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm going to toss a car into the mix that is not on your list because it's FWD. I don't like FWD myself but I love driving the Cooper S. The MCS is so much fun to drive that I can forgive it driving from the wrong wheels. If you haven't driven one you owe it to yourself to drive it even if it's just for the fun of it.

I'm also very impressed with both the Legacy GT and the R32. I'm with Steve on the Evo, they handle very well and are in your price range. I do have a personal problem with how "cheap" they feel but it wouldn't be a bad choice.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:18 PM

i would buy a certified 2002-2003 bmw 330 ci or i with low miles, fun to drive, good now bad on gas

just my 02

justin
Old 10-05-2004, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cacophony82,Oct 5 2004, 08:18 PM
i would buy a certified 2002-2003 bmw 330 ci or i with low miles, fun to drive, good now bad on gas

just my 02

justin
i agree, but good luck finding one under $30K

Quick Reply: Suggestions for a daily driver?