Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Supercharged FR-S confirmed

Old 11-01-2012, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharged FR-S confirmed

It was only a matter of time. Anyone wanna make a bet on which will be faster; the turbo brz or the supercharged frs?

If its priced reasonably I may have to get one.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...confirmed.html

Stout Racing announced that it is working with TRD to produce a supercharger kit for the hot FR-S, which will undoubtedly please all FR-S owners worldwide. Since the Stout Racing FR-S is competing in the Pirelli World Challenge GTS class, the TRD supercharger must be made available for the public in order for the race car to compete with it.

Unfortunately no specifications were released beyond that point, but the team is hoping to finish the R&D phase on the forced induction soon as it gets ready for the season opener on March 2013.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:55 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Ah boo I was hoping it'd be a factory setup.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Ah boo I was hoping it'd be a factory setup.
+1

Evan
Old 11-02-2012, 09:04 AM

Received 559 Likes on 391 Posts

You know what they say about competition breeding excellence. This is essentially going to turn into a performance development war between TRD and STI. They already had the brz going around the 'ring with STI brembos, wheels, new front bumper, and whatever else might be under that hood.

While I still like my S a whole lot and have no plans to replace it, I'm very happy with the development and forward movement going on here. Here's to rekindling the affordable, light weight, rwd, sports car market.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:43 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

That link is invalid.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bullwings
You know what they say about competition breeding excellence. This is essentially going to turn into a performance development war between TRD and STI. They already had the brz going around the 'ring with STI brembos, wheels, new front bumper, and whatever else might be under that hood.While I still like my S a whole lot and have no plans to replace it, I'm very happy with the development and forward movement going on here. Here's to rekindling the affordable, light weight, rwd, sports car market.

yeah my thoughts exactly. i also read that honda is considering supercharging the cr-z. as unlikely as it is, its a step in the right direction for the industry.

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
That link is invalid.
fixed.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I think you made a mistake about what you read, as did I until I reread it.

I think this article is ACTUALLY stating that Stout Racing and TRD are going to be making an aftermarket supercharger kit for the FR-S. Which is a bit different than producing a supercharged version of the FR-S. At least that was my take from it.

I honestly dont know what to believe though, if Subaru is producing an OEM turbo BRZ, one would THINK that Toyota would be smart enough to follow suit and boost the FRS, unless they want to lose 90% of their sales to Subaru.

Maybe it will be a factory option with warranty and such?
Old 11-02-2012, 08:59 PM

Toyota typically offers an "aftermarket" trd supercharger that retains full warranty coverage. They've done it on the turd that is the TC, and the Tundra as well.

It kind of makes sense. If you're a first adopter of an FR-S...you'll have a fair shot of actually having horsepower.

Whereas if they make a super FR-S; first adopters will still be stuck with their shitty version of the car.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:26 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

^^ I'd prefer the latter hahah
Old 11-03-2012, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by liquid_helix136
I think you made a mistake about what you read, as did I until I reread it.

I think this article is ACTUALLY stating that Stout Racing and TRD are going to be making an aftermarket supercharger kit for the FR-S. Which is a bit different than producing a supercharged version of the FR-S. At least that was my take from it.

I honestly dont know what to believe though, if Subaru is producing an OEM turbo BRZ, one would THINK that Toyota would be smart enough to follow suit and boost the FRS, unless they want to lose 90% of their sales to Subaru.

Maybe it will be a factory option with warranty and such?
I read pretty much what you read - an aftermarket company is working on an aftermarket supercharger kit. NOT "Toyota planning factory supercharged FR-S."

I would imagine since Subaru is providing the drivetrain for these cars, the Toyota version would see whatever improvements Subaru develops. I suppose it is possible that the Toyota and Subaru versions receive different powertrains in the years ahead, but that just doesn't seem likely in the first few years of production.

Quick Reply: Supercharged FR-S confirmed