Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Suv options

Old 10-29-2012, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are not doing any off roading (that need high ground clearance), i would go for WRX wagon.

It should out handle any SUV in your price range, and its available in MT

Otherwise, FX35 would be my choice, not the best car out there with the small interior room and bumpy ride, but I like how it looks and the drivetrain should be pretty reliable. But another bad thing about it is that it looks awesome on factory 20" rim, but you won't like it as much when its time to replace the tires.

RDX is good bang for bucks. but i don't like the turbo 4 on this car. just not enough power when i need it, too much when i don't.

Lexus SUV and exciting to drive never goes together in one sentense without the word "NOT"

Maybe you can consider Subura forester and outback as well.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by North Star
Originally Posted by rockville' timestamp='1351534297' post='22115833
[quote name='madkimchi' timestamp='1351533633' post='22115807']
if you want sporty then i would pick up something from Subaru. Lexus GX and 4Runner are kinda far from being sporty. they are a true off road capable suv.

my parents have GX470. very very very solid car. i love that thing except the gas mileage. I have a heavy foot and when i drive it only gets like 13-15 mpg. I don't see a need for a car of that size too. and it's been a solid car. no issues at all with that car. and car is to last up to 200k miles without any major tune ups. My dad's LS430 hit 100k miles and I was planning on doing all the major tune ups but only thing it needed was an oil change. water pump will last til 200k.

I am also thinking of picking up 5 seat suv and i am leaning towards Subaru Forester XT. it's a turbo engine with 5 speed manual on older models. you can easily change few parts with a tune to have 300hp. and it's cheap to maintain.
Sadly the Forester turbo mileage is similar to a gentely driven Tahoe. My sis-in-law dumped her turbo Legacy Outback in part because it was getting about 22mpg highway. I hit 22 MPG highway in a Tahoe going about 70. The way I see it, if the SUV is going to get Tahoe mileage, I'm going to have Tahoe space.
Some people just aren't used to driving turbo vehicles. The NA Foresters get about 30 mpg.
[/quote]
I think every review of the Forester 2.5T got lousy mileage as did a friend who owned a manual shift version. He liked it but not the mileage.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:40 PM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

LX470. IH8MUD.COM.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:37 PM

X3 3.0si?
Old 10-29-2012, 06:15 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by RC 94
X3 3.0si?
I like the X3, totally forgot about that one.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Originally Posted by RC 94' timestamp='1351561057' post='22116969
X3 3.0si?
I like the X3, totally forgot about that one.
He should be able to find a decent example for well in his price range.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:32 PM

Vw touareg.....duhhh. v10tdi
Old 11-02-2012, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by rockville
Originally Posted by madkimchi' timestamp='1351533633' post='22115807
if you want sporty then i would pick up something from Subaru. Lexus GX and 4Runner are kinda far from being sporty. they are a true off road capable suv.

my parents have GX470. very very very solid car. i love that thing except the gas mileage. I have a heavy foot and when i drive it only gets like 13-15 mpg. I don't see a need for a car of that size too. and it's been a solid car. no issues at all with that car. and car is to last up to 200k miles without any major tune ups. My dad's LS430 hit 100k miles and I was planning on doing all the major tune ups but only thing it needed was an oil change. water pump will last til 200k.

I am also thinking of picking up 5 seat suv and i am leaning towards Subaru Forester XT. it's a turbo engine with 5 speed manual on older models. you can easily change few parts with a tune to have 300hp. and it's cheap to maintain.
Sadly the Forester turbo mileage is similar to a gentely driven Tahoe. My sis-in-law dumped her turbo Legacy Outback in part because it was getting about 22mpg highway. I hit 22 MPG highway in a Tahoe going about 70. The way I see it, if the SUV is going to get Tahoe mileage, I'm going to have Tahoe space.
I imagine a Tahoe as about as fun to drive as a school bus . Well I guess it is needed if you got 7 kids to haul around but if you want a fun and Fast suv the Forester XT is the way to go ! Not to mention it will smoke S2000's or Tahoes at redlights all day long.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Silverstreak HX
Originally Posted by rockville' timestamp='1351534297' post='22115833

I imagine a Tahoe as about as fun to drive as a school bus . Well I guess it is needed if you got 7 kids to haul around but if you want a fun and Fast suv the Forester XT is the way to go ! Not to mention it will smoke S2000's or Tahoes at redlights all day long.
[/quote]

I understand it's early in the morning and your brain might not be up to speed yet... well that might not be due to the hour... but I don't think you understood what I said. I made no claim that the Tahoe was faster or more fun to drive. No I claimed the mileage of the Subi was so poor that I personally would look at a larger SUV as an alternative. If I'm going to drive an SUV I was to have good utility. As good as the Forester is, why not go for something with even more utility? Don't stress your head out too much thinking about such concepts.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rockville
Originally Posted by Silverstreak HX' timestamp='1351851987' post='22124828
[quote name='rockville' timestamp='1351534297' post='22115833']

[/quote]

I understand it's early in the morning and your brain might not be up to speed yet... well that might not be due to the hour... but I don't think you understood what I said. I made no claim that the Tahoe was faster or more fun to drive. No I claimed the mileage of the Subi was so poor that I personally would look at a larger SUV as an alternative. If I'm going to drive an SUV I was to have good utility. As good as the Forester is, why not go for something with even more utility? Don't stress your head out too much thinking about such concepts.
[/quote]

Right, it's simply the direction you want to go with the vehicle. If you just want something sporty, yet can haul a decent amount of stuff, the XT will be great. If you are looking for something to haul even more things, a larger family, and towing, a Tahoe fits that bill perfectly.

Quick Reply: Suv options