Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

SUV Pick

Old 12-26-2012, 03:31 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Storage space and gas mileage not priorities. The better-half wants a Range Rover, but would also like a G500 and I throw in Cayenne Turbo to round it out. All she wants is a 4 door car. I am really digging the G500's and like the truck like drive it has. Reminds me of our old Mitsu Montero from years ago. Never been in a Cayenne, but they look substantive built.

The R Class MB is way too mini-van looking for us. I have been throwing in some XF Supercharged as a consideration. She is only so luke warm on a sedan and we just had a Vanden Plas XJ8 (land yacht).
Old 12-26-2012, 04:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well then Range Rover is all high-tech and will probably need more fixing, while G500 is my "dream car" but I don't think it was ever redesigned or improved drivetrain-wise. You can get 2006 Rover with around 90-100k miles for cheap under $15k, while G500 is pretty rare car that you don't see every day.

The reason why I mentioned Discovery is because it somewhat looks like G500 and both feel solid off road cars, while Disco is way cheaper. They also come as 7 seaters by the way. For some reason (maybe its the price) but I like Disco more then Range Rover.

As far as reliability you might wanna look at Lexus GX
Old 12-26-2012, 04:28 AM

And then there is always X5 top of the line models are monsters when it comes to sport
Old 12-26-2012, 05:33 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by kolyan2k
Well then Range Rover is all high-tech and will probably need more fixing, while G500 is my "dream car" but I don't think it was ever redesigned or improved drivetrain-wise. You can get 2006 Rover with around 90-100k miles for cheap under $15k, while G500 is pretty rare car that you don't see every day.

The reason why I mentioned Discovery is because it somewhat looks like G500 and both feel solid off road cars, while Disco is way cheaper. They also come as 7 seaters by the way. For some reason (maybe its the price) but I like Disco more then Range Rover.

As far as reliability you might wanna look at Lexus GX
I would rather have the Defender 110 over a Disco if I want to go real off-road look. The Jag based Range Rover is now a front runner unless a G500 falls on my lap. I am quite impressed with longterm reliability of the AJ-V8, could be the best non-exotic V8 currently made (good thread topic). The timeframe is April and I am looking nationally. My last two cars I bought sight unseen and had shipped, so I am not affraid of not seeing a car in person.

One car I am considering is a Laforza. Not sure how that'll go over with no GPS, but a friend had one for a long time and the car was a beast. The electrical problems are supposed be fixed with an aftermarket solution. I would have the car paid in full which is nice, but reselling will be a hassle. Every time I drive an 80's car, they fell heavy and just plain old...
Old 12-26-2012, 08:20 AM

Ps. Some people say BMW Rovers are good, and other say Jag Rovers are better. Here is whats said about Jag made Discovery 3:

"Discovery 3 was described as "most unreliable" by several consumer reports, including "Least Reliable Luxury Cars 2006" by Forbes"
Old 12-26-2012, 08:46 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Not sure why you say you'd consider Cayenne Turbo but you don't think you can afford the GTS. The GTS version are totted up Cayenne S's, I believe, and are cheaper than Turbos.

The Cayenne might be the best combo on reasonable reliability (though expensive if something goes wrong, but in the group of cars you're considering, it might be the best bet), good handling for an SUV, power and speed, and luxury. Plus off-road if you'll use it. Interior room is not the best and the rear compartment is really pretty small. But since you say cargo capacity isn't important, consider the Cayenne.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:51 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ElTianti
CTS-V wagon + a good set of snow tires. You live in MA so put the snow tires on at Labor day and take them off on the 4th July. Think of how much you'll save on summer tires!

SUV's are the focus of evil in the modern world.
Can you get a CTS-V wagon for $27k?
Old 12-26-2012, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by turbo_pwr
Originally Posted by ElTianti' timestamp='1356485893' post='22229460
CTS-V wagon + a good set of snow tires. You live in MA so put the snow tires on at Labor day and take them off on the 4th July. Think of how much you'll save on summer tires!

SUV's are the focus of evil in the modern world.
Can you get a CTS-V wagon for $27k?
No, probably not. I should have read more carefully.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you considered an Escalade? You should be able to get one for $27k
Old 12-26-2012, 10:09 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

I take it from the choices that the nameplate is of high priority for panache reasons.

Otherwise for $27k you can get an extremely nice loaded lease return Grand Cherokee with lots of bells and whistles, low miles, a very nice interior and very good reliability and capability. But you already know that.

I am not a Detroit guy, but our family has owned a gaggle of different vintage Grand Cherokees, and except for the old 4.0 V8's gas guzzling ways, they have all been great and will do anything you ask except store lots of crap behind the rear seat.

Quick Reply: SUV Pick