Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

SUV Pick

Old 12-26-2012, 11:25 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
I take it from the choices that the nameplate is of high priority for panache reasons.

Otherwise for $27k you can get an extremely nice loaded lease return Grand Cherokee with lots of bells and whistles, low miles, a very nice interior and very good reliability and capability. But you already know that.

I am not a Detroit guy, but our family has owned a gaggle of different vintage Grand Cherokees, and except for the old 4.0 V8's gas guzzling ways, they have all been great and will do anything you ask except store lots of crap behind the rear seat.
Grand Wagoneer would be cool. Ya, it's sort of about nameplates too; or at least the nameplate has the looks to back it up. Never been much a of Jeep person since AMC departed ways.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by clawhammer
Have you considered an Escalade? You should be able to get one for $27k
Way too big for me. Same for Denali and the like.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:35 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Why not opt for a VW Touareg than the Cayenne? Its the same vehicle, I just picked up a Fully Loaded 2006 VW Touareg V8 with 57k on it from my work, amazing SUV, comfy, so far its been problem free.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:23 AM

I may have an opportunity to buy my previously owned XJ8 VDP from my accountant. I sold it to him in April and said he'd consider selling it back to me this April. I practically gave it to him, so it would be plus even if I bought it back at the same amount. My girlfriend is still "I want a Range Rover", but a paid in full Jaguar land yacht is not so bad either. I think the VDP may actually be longer than the Range Rover (which is the main reason I sold it - too big), but since it is her car, I need not worry about parking it...

Having a car with a known history is nice and I took no expense spared approach with it, but he hasn't done a good job with keeping it clean I wonder the state of the paint? It also needs new lambswool floor mats...
Old 01-01-2013, 07:34 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Honda Pilot 4wd.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
Honda Pilot 4wd.
I think the Acura MDX may bemore his liking; more power, more comfort, and better AWD system.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the Lexus Landcruiser?

I'm not at all in love with any of the choices you offered but I think that's my cost adverse, overly practical nature coming through. Resisting the urge to say get a Toyota Highlander

Anyway, it looks like you are going for a premium vehicle. I would think the Landcruiser would be right up there. It's not likely all that fast but it is the real deal otherwise. It also is likely far less problematic than any of the others.

Did you consider any of the BMW X5 family?
Old 01-02-2013, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by rockville
What about the Lexus Landcruiser?

Did you consider any of the BMW X5 family?
The X5 and X3 have changed their styling too frequently for me. I don't want the car to look so dated in a couple of years. I am committing 3-5 years on this purchase and car is already old.

I like the Landcruiser and did not really consider it. I prefer the older square bodied cars, it really has a classic look to it. I'll start taking a look at those and see what is what price-wise, thanks!

Personally, I really like the look of the current X3, but in general am not a BMW fan. My girlfriend has been rumbling about the new Dodge Dart. She currently has Neon, so it's worth checking it out. I'd prefer a FIAT 500 turbo, but she has this 4 door idea in her head...

I really think it's going to be a Range Rover or our all Jaguar.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:38 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Not sure how you feel about a loaded Nissan Pathfinder LE, but they are supposedly built as direct LandRover competitors for the UK, so even the US models are pretty advanced and plush, plus they have Japanese reliability. Seems like you could get a pretty new, low miles version for your price.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Originally Posted by clawhammer' timestamp='1356545816' post='22230461
Have you considered an Escalade? You should be able to get one for $27k
Way too big for me. Same for Denali and the like.
Escalade isn't that as big as you think. sure it looks freaking huge but interior room is fairly small actually.

my brother used to drive Hyundai Minivan (entourage 2011 model i think) then he traded it in for a used Escalade (dunno the year) and he said the interior on Hyundai was much bigger. i guess it's because the thicker door, large center console... etc on Escalade and Hyundai Minivan has nothing.

Quick Reply: SUV Pick