Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Taking a Dive in the Subaru World...

Old 03-04-2019, 12:01 PM

Received 378 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
It's pretty wild to me that subi has been having these problems for almost 15 years without any serious changes in their design to reduce it and people keep buying the cars. All that work to avoid a known subi design problem they put into the car specifically. Crazy. That's not built with love. LOL
It's why I fell out of love for them. Between their insistence, 15 years later, of still using the EJ in the STI, and axing the hatch in both the STI and WRX, I was out of there. I got something better.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:23 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

It's pretty wild to me that subi has been having these problems for almost 15 years without any serious changes in their design to reduce it and people keep buying the cars. All that work to avoid a known subi design problem they put into the car specifically. Crazy. That's not built with love. LOL
its not really alot of work when that's what you plan from the beginning . Most people on here mod their cars regardless and I like to think the s2ki community is one of the more mature / smarter community out their. We mod our cars wether the s2000 or something else we moved on to but we do things the right way. So a tune and a catch can to me isnt considered "alot of work". Also the issue with ringland failure might be a common issue caus of the word being spread on the internet but I wish there was actual facts on how many cars suffer from ringland overall ,not just what's spread on the internet on different forums . The internet is gona be the #1 place for people to complain.

Take the ap1 for example. I remember when I was searching for my s2k. I read so many issues on here about damaged engines on the ap1 due to it having a high oil consumption. I remember reading how people were changing the oil squirters/ banjo bolts, because I think it was cylinder 4 where the research came in says that cylinder was getting a lack of oil? It's been awhile so I dont remember the full details. Now to me that seems like a heck of a lot more work to do to save the engine. But again that's all based on s2ki and forum issues. So did ap1's have a high rate of oil consumption overall or just based on word being passed on the internet ? I got my s2k tuned and constantly checked my level of oil and made sure it was topped off always because that was what s2ki recommended. People were giving their opinions on what was the best oil to use because oil A burned less than oil B. I followed the steps provided on s2ki like I follow the steps for my sti. My ap1 was healthy during my ownership with very little oil consumption.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:35 PM

Received 3,358 Likes on 2,441 Posts

my ap1 motor puked on my S2000 for no apparent reason, just driving down the road on a leisurely drive, so I guess it can happen to all makes.

Hopefully the wrx motor isn't susceptible to ringland issues, I have to say that I have pushed boost from 2000-4000 rpms, not thinking it would be an issue, lugging it below 2000 would seem to be more of an issue ?
Old 03-04-2019, 01:41 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
lugging it below 2000 would seem to be more of an issue ?
yes- Low speed preignition is bad so don't lug your turbo, direct injected engine.
darcy
Old 03-04-2019, 02:26 PM

^ sounds good, perhaps keeping it above 2500 with any serious boost.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:00 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by superchargedk20
its not really alot of work when that's what you plan from the beginning . Most people on here mod their cars regardless and I like to think the s2ki community is one of the more mature / smarter community out their. We mod our cars wether the s2000 or something else we moved on to but we do things the right way. So a tune and a catch can to me isnt considered "alot of work". Also the issue with ringland failure might be a common issue caus of the word being spread on the internet but I wish there was actual facts on how many cars suffer from ringland overall ,not just what's spread on the internet on different forums . The internet is gona be the #1 place for people to complain.

Take the ap1 for example. I remember when I was searching for my s2k. I read so many issues on here about damaged engines on the ap1 due to it having a high oil consumption. I remember reading how people were changing the oil squirters/ banjo bolts, because I think it was cylinder 4 where the research came in says that cylinder was getting a lack of oil? It's been awhile so I dont remember the full details. Now to me that seems like a heck of a lot more work to do to save the engine. But again that's all based on s2ki and forum issues. So did ap1's have a high rate of oil consumption overall or just based on word being passed on the internet ? I got my s2k tuned and constantly checked my level of oil and made sure it was topped off always because that was what s2ki recommended. People were giving their opinions on what was the best oil to use because oil A burned less than oil B. I followed the steps provided on s2ki like I follow the steps for my sti. My ap1 was healthy during my ownership with very little oil consumption.
The difference is honda fixed that in the following years. Imagine they produced that same engine for 15 years and denied warranty claims for that very problem. That's the difference I'm talking about.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:05 PM

The difference is honda fixed that in the following years. Imagine they produced that same engine for 15 years and denied warranty claims for that very problem. That's the difference I'm talking about.
that's why it would be nice to see the actual subarus reported with the issue not just what's on the internet. I actually think the 2019 sti they put a stronger bottom end on it lol
Old 03-05-2019, 07:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And finally someone had the sense to sue them for not fixing it.

Happy that there is a settlement.

Subaru Engine Bearings
Old 03-05-2019, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by suzuka_indy
And finally someone had the sense to sue them for not fixing it.

Happy that there is a settlement.

Subaru Engine Bearings
it would be interesting if it went to court to see what the ruling would be. Suabru defends the engine work properly but are willing to settle. They look guilty by doing that but oh well. After reading this I can see why Subaru settled.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tor...-discovery/amp
Old 03-06-2019, 02:38 AM

Doesn't every manufacturer have some kind of story like this to some extent ? I'm not defending Subaru as no owner should be stiffed by a vehicle manufacturer for poor engine designs.

Honda had a transmission debacle, and I had friends who got screwed royally on their very expensive Odyssey minivan. I'm predicting that Honda's first generation of DIT engines will have much shorter lives than their older engine designs. I just sold my 2016 Civic which had extremely bad fuel dilution issues which Honda only acknowledged recently. My engine was producing oil rather than consuming it, lol. Well not really but oil levels increased regularly and quickly, to the point that it would go over the high level mark well before the end of the oil change interval. I was having to consider draining oil to keep it below H. Honda performed a TSB on it but then I got rid of it like a hot potato. The oil sumps in some engines had so much water in them that they would freeze in winter conditions and owners would have zero oil pressure on start up. The engine oil on my Civic would go black as night very quickly after an oil change. Honda gave an excuse that the fuel dilution issues were affecting vehicle owners who drove in cold temp conditions and shorter driving cycles - ah Hello , that covers many millions of vehicle owners, and this seems like a very important detail that some engineer should have tested. I mean even the worst auto manufacturers out there will send their vehicles to the arctic for cold weather testing, and doesn't the majority of North Americans drive short distance driving cycles stuck in traffic most of their lives ? Honda extended the powertrain warranty to 6 years or something like that, but lord help the owners after 6 years, I just don't think they are going to last like the good ol days. Very glad my HR-V is not a DIT motor.

I just got through my break-in period on my Subaru WRX, which is quite lengthy at 1000 miles. No noticeable oil consumption and the oil is golden clean and clear. Looks good to me.

Quick Reply: Taking a Dive in the Subaru World...