Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Taking a Dive in the Subaru World...

Old 01-29-2019, 05:48 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Congrats! They are nice rides. I like the Type R too, but REALLY wish they had a sleeper/touring model without all the wings and boy racer stuff. I"m too old for that nowadays. If they had a base looking Civic with all the performance goodies and engine of the Type R for a touch less money, I'd seriously want one.

Anyway, the WRX looks good and not boy racer, so that's probably a real-world better option in that regard for sure.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:01 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Congrats on the pick up!
Old 01-29-2019, 10:03 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

WRX Sport? Do you live in Canada?

In the US I think the only trim packages are base, premium and limited. And it's infuriating. When I was shopping for a WRX in 2012 the only option I wanted was the HID headlamps. Only way to get that was the Limited model, which was $30k+, and literally everything else that model had I didn't want (other than heated seats).
Old 01-29-2019, 11:33 AM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Subaru is generally low pressure sales. Congratulations on your new WRX.
yes you are definitely right on that. The one thing with our Honda dealer in the last few years is that they try to shove in all of these dumb warranties that most people would not want, and they dump it into the price, along with admin fees and such. With Subaru they did not put in an admin fee and actually asked me if I wanted the extra warranty policies rather than just assuming that I wanted them. I like that approach, hence my comment about transparency. Not a fan of this newer car sales approach many other dealers are following. Subaru has been great.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Congrats! They are nice rides. I like the Type R too, but REALLY wish they had a sleeper/touring model without all the wings and boy racer stuff. I"m too old for that nowadays. If they had a base looking Civic with all the performance goodies and engine of the Type R for a touch less money, I'd seriously want one.

Anyway, the WRX looks good and not boy racer, so that's probably a real-world better option in that regard for sure.
I agree, I really hate the rear wing, not great for an older guy like me and I do use my vehicle for work purposes at times. Too swoopy to take to clients I'm visiting. I love the mechanical systems of the Type R and most of the appearance but at the end of the day it just isn't practical for me right now.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Congrats on the pick up!
Thank you.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
WRX Sport? Do you live in Canada?

In the US I think the only trim packages are base, premium and limited. And it's infuriating. When I was shopping for a WRX in 2012 the only option I wanted was the HID headlamps. Only way to get that was the Limited model, which was $30k+, and literally everything else that model had I didn't want (other than heated seats).
Yes I am in Canada. I really only wanted the base WRX, but I wanted the adjustable driver seat and the rear cross traffic alert (if my son and wife drives the car), so I had to go up to the Sport model. That tosses in the sunroof which I don't want, and a bunch of other small stuff that are not needed. I would have liked the eyesight safety package but you have to go up several levels for that and that adds a ton of costs. I wish all automakers would go back to the menu list of options like they did decades ago, too many trim packages that add in useless junk these days. lol.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:18 PM

I've never had a car where the oil filter sat upright high up in the engine bay, this is very cool, the oil filter sits between the radiator and the intake manifold, it must be the easiest oil filter change of any vehicle out there, so cool.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:37 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I've never had a car where the oil filter sat upright high up in the engine bay, this is very cool, the oil filter sits between the radiator and the intake manifold, it must be the easiest oil filter change of any vehicle out there, so cool.
Then you do the spark plugs and think wtf. Not too bad on WRX but the 86s...
Old 01-31-2019, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Then you do the spark plugs and think wtf. Not too bad on WRX but the 86s...
oh I never thought about that with respect to the engine design, I hear what you are saying on that. Hopefully the plugs will last a very long time. I also read something about replacing camshaft belts, I thought I was past that stage in my life where belts were replaced by chains lol.

Quick Reply: Taking a Dive in the Subaru World...