Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > General Interest > Car Talk
Reload this Page >

Taking a Dive in the Subaru World...

Car Talk Discussions and comparisions of cars of all makes and models.

Taking a Dive in the Subaru World...

Old 02-26-2019, 12:35 PM

Received 91 Likes on 90 Posts

I brought the new wrx home today, and it really is a fantastic sedan, such a great package for what I wanted, very happy with the purchase. I wish I took the plunge sooner. The car runs and sounds so good, just perfect and it meets all of my expectations.

The dealer was really great, they actually moved the car into the showroom after it got prepped a day or two before my scheduled pick-up. So when I got there the car was shiny clean and nice and warm. I was able to explore all of the vehicle features with the car indoors. They took a picture of me beside the car in the showroom and they gave me a gift basket. I was then able to drive it out of the showroom to head home. In the current weather we have in our parts this was a novel way to pick up the new addition. Such a small detail that makes the buying process even better, pretty cool and I love the car.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:59 PM

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Old 02-27-2019, 01:14 PM

Thanks for the links, those parts are really nice upgrades , very cool.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:53 AM

Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

If I have one regret it was actually trading in my WRX for an STi. Back in October of 2014 I placed an order for a 2015 WRX premium in Galaxy Blue Pearl. Got it in January of 2015. Great car, kept it mostly stock, opted for the optional short shifter from the factory and installed the Perrin shift stop to tighten up the 1st & 2nd gates. It was a great car that did everything I needed it to do....if I could do it all over again I would've just gotten a base model and called it a day as I didn't need the sunroof and never used it....thought I would.

Fast forward to 6 months later and the boy racer in me wanted an STi. Luckily I got a decent trade-in on the WRX with like 7k miles on it (lost about a grand or so from the sale price) and didn't pay much in taxes on the STi due to the recent purchase and trade-up, so it worked out okay. The STi was cool for a while, but I just ended up regretting it.....The fuel economy of the EJ sucked in comparison to the newer FA20 in the WRX that makes underrated power numbers officially, they're not too far from the EJ power and torque numbers. Turbo spool of the WRX was way faster, and it made for a much peppier car in a daily driven scenario....Only thing I didn't like was that the torque curve went flat and fell on its face above 4 grand to redline, so I was a little disappointed after the break-in period on my WRX when I gave it the beans, wasn't much more than I was used to keeping revs below 4k. Boost at around 1k or 1.5k was nice, and you could hear the turbo whistle on the WRX.

Ultimately my STi ended up shitting the bed at 36k miles with a blown ringland. I kept the car regularly serviced at my purchasing dealer, and they were surprised. Did my oil changes every 3k through them, never lugged the motor, never floored it after traffic on a hot day etc. I happened to be in for an oil change and they noted some smoke on startup and compression tested it for me...yup, blown ringland. The EJ spinning bearings and popping ringlands is an argument and investigation spanning thousands of various forum pages and editorials, and I won't bother getting into it. Needless to say, after the shortblock was replaced I dropped the car like a hot potato. I had enough equity in it that I actually came out pretty decently on top with a trade-in, and just ended up getting an FA5 for a daily, which I had actually missed as I owned an FG2 before the WRX.

TL;DR good choice on the WRX. FA20 has way less reported failures vs the EJ, can confidently run a turboback and OTS tune, better fuel mileage and response, just overall newer and more efficient. Only way I'd ever buy an STi again is when they hopefully drop the dinosaur of an EJ and hopefully put the new Ascent motor in the next gen iteration. If I could go back in time I would've ordered a base 2015 and been done with it.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:40 AM

^ good info, thanks for the reply. I was always set on the WRX, the newer motor just seemed better to me compared to the STI. I initially wanted a base WRX but moved up to the Sport (one level up) to get a couple extra upgrades, still very good value. Good to hear you got out of your used cars in good shape, the resale values on these cars seems very good from what I've seen. All the best.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:29 AM

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Aftermarket TMIC
J pipe
Intake
Cobb AP and tune it. With these simple mods, it's about where a Stage 2 STI is, with a better motor in my opinion. Some people complained about the rods in the FA DIT, but they just went for far too much power and bent them. Tune it correctly and it's safe as kittens. I rode in a stage 2 WRX before I bought my RS and it was damn fast. DI, that low mounted turbo, much better powerband than the EJ. Power right off the bottom all the way to redline. The WRX really wakes up with a tune and some simple bolt ons.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito View Post
Aftermarket TMIC
J pipe
Intake
Cobb AP and tune it. With these simple mods, it's about where a Stage 2 STI is, with a better motor in my opinion. Some people complained about the rods in the FA DIT, but they just went for far too much power and bent them. Tune it correctly and it's safe as kittens. I rode in a stage 2 WRX before I bought my RS and it was damn fast. DI, that low mounted turbo, much better powerband than the EJ. Power right off the bottom all the way to redline. The WRX really wakes up with a tune and some simple bolt ons.
Thanks for the info, that list of mods is relatively simple too, not much to them for decent power gains. I love the new twin scroll turbo, power is available right off the line. I'm still in the break in process so I haven't felt the top end yet.

BTW I've always wanted to mention that I have a good friend with the last name of DeVito, his parents and mine all immigrated to Canada from Calabria Italy in the 50's
Old 03-04-2019, 12:02 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
If I have one regret it was actually trading in my WRX for an STi. Back in October of 2014 I placed an order for a 2015 WRX premium in Galaxy Blue Pearl. Got it in January of 2015. Great car, kept it mostly stock, opted for the optional short shifter from the factory and installed the Perrin shift stop to tighten up the 1st & 2nd gates. It was a great car that did everything I needed it to do....if I could do it all over again I would've just gotten a base model and called it a day as I didn't need the sunroof and never used it....thought I would.

Fast forward to 6 months later and the boy racer in me wanted an STi. Luckily I got a decent trade-in on the WRX with like 7k miles on it (lost about a grand or so from the sale price) and didn't pay much in taxes on the STi due to the recent purchase and trade-up, so it worked out okay. The STi was cool for a while, but I just ended up regretting it.....The fuel economy of the EJ sucked in comparison to the newer FA20 in the WRX that makes underrated power numbers officially, they're not too far from the EJ power and torque numbers. Turbo spool of the WRX was way faster, and it made for a much peppier car in a daily driven scenario....Only thing I didn't like was that the torque curve went flat and fell on its face above 4 grand to redline, so I was a little disappointed after the break-in period on my WRX when I gave it the beans, wasn't much more than I was used to keeping revs below 4k. Boost at around 1k or 1.5k was nice, and you could hear the turbo whistle on the WRX.

Ultimately my STi ended up shitting the bed at 36k miles with a blown ringland. I kept the car regularly serviced at my purchasing dealer, and they were surprised. Did my oil changes every 3k through them, never lugged the motor, never floored it after traffic on a hot day etc. I happened to be in for an oil change and they noted some smoke on startup and compression tested it for me...yup, blown ringland. The EJ spinning bearings and popping ringlands is an argument and investigation spanning thousands of various forum pages and editorials, and I won't bother getting into it. Needless to say, after the shortblock was replaced I dropped the car like a hot potato. I had enough equity in it that I actually came out pretty decently on top with a trade-in, and just ended up getting an FA5 for a daily, which I had actually missed as I owned an FG2 before the WRX.

TL;DR good choice on the WRX. FA20 has way less reported failures vs the EJ, can confidently run a turboback and OTS tune, better fuel mileage and response, just overall newer and more efficient. Only way I'd ever buy an STi again is when they hopefully drop the dinosaur of an EJ and hopefully put the new Ascent motor in the next gen iteration. If I could go back in time I would've ordered a base 2015 and been done with it.
the top 3 reasons for ringland failure are the stock tune, blow by, and punching the car under 3500 rpms. We all know the piston rings is the weak link to the motor. When I bought my 2018 sti I took all the precaution measures to keep the engine lasting as long as I could. My car is tuned which also saw a jump in mpg. I went from 17.7 on the stock map to 19.8 after tune. I added a oil catch can. I follow the regular oil changes and I'm happy to say my last oil change when my mechanic check the catch can nothing was in there. And he told me it looks like I have a healthy motor. Also after doing research, if u were taking your car to Subaru and they were putting their 5-30 synthetic that's a no no for these engine. They recomend 5-30 to have a higher mpg rating and their oil will break down to a 20 weight. I use Castrol syntec 5-40. My car is only at 7k miles after 1 yr of ownership but theres zero signs of any failure .......... yet
Old 03-04-2019, 12:18 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero View Post
I brought the new wrx home today, and it really is a fantastic sedan, such a great package for what I wanted, very happy with the purchase. I wish I took the plunge sooner. The car runs and sounds so good, just perfect and it meets all of my expectations.

The dealer was really great, they actually moved the car into the showroom after it got prepped a day or two before my scheduled pick-up. So when I got there the car was shiny clean and nice and warm. I was able to explore all of the vehicle features with the car indoors. They took a picture of me beside the car in the showroom and they gave me a gift basket. I was then able to drive it out of the showroom to head home. In the current weather we have in our parts this was a novel way to pick up the new addition. Such a small detail that makes the buying process even better, pretty cool and I love the car.
congrats on the new car . After reading your thread it seems like you made the right choice. Subaru has excellent customer service when it comes to sales. I purchased a 2017 limited wrx and it was a very comfortable ride and I loved the touch screen in the car. I was sold on sirius xm with that car due to the radio being able to hold like 35 stations on your favorites . I'm so used to all my cars only holding six lol. The leather heated seats were also very comfortable. I slapped on a set of Michelin ice X winter tires and the car performed very well in the winter . For everything u get the price cant be beat. A civic si goes for almost as much as a base wrx . But in the end after only a few months of ownership I traded it in for an sti. Unlike the former poster who stated he made a mistake I love the sti in every way. Love the looks, extra power, rims, bigger brakes, and of course that subie rumble...Drove it today In this winter storm we are having. Set the differential to almost full lock and plowed my way through with no issues.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:09 AM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by superchargedk20 View Post
the top 3 reasons for ringland failure are the stock tune, blow by, and punching the car under 3500 rpms. We all know the piston rings is the weak link to the motor. When I bought my 2018 sti I took all the precaution measures to keep the engine lasting as long as I could. My car is tuned which also saw a jump in mpg. I went from 17.7 on the stock map to 19.8 after tune. I added a oil catch can. I follow the regular oil changes and I'm happy to say my last oil change when my mechanic check the catch can nothing was in there. And he told me it looks like I have a healthy motor. Also after doing research, if u were taking your car to Subaru and they were putting their 5-30 synthetic that's a no no for these engine. They recomend 5-30 to have a higher mpg rating and their oil will break down to a 20 weight. I use Castrol syntec 5-40. My car is only at 7k miles after 1 yr of ownership but theres zero signs of any failure .......... yet
It's pretty wild to me that subi has been having these problems for almost 15 years without any serious changes in their design to reduce it and people keep buying the cars. All that work to avoid a known subi design problem they put into the car specifically. Crazy. That's not built with love. LOL

Quick Reply: Taking a Dive in the Subaru World...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands