Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Talk me out of trading my S2000(LONG)

Old 01-14-2010, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Talk me out of trading my S2000(LONG)

Ok, I have been through over a dozen cars already at age 26....I just cant find THE right car for me. My needs in a car are simple Great handling, Great power (or power potential) Good looking, and 2 seats ONLY.

Here is a list of the cars, that I have had in the past, that didnt cut it

97 Mazda Miata
93 Mazda Rx7 - The closest I have come to the perfect car
2003 Subaru WRX
96 Mitsubishi Eclipse
91 Honda CRX (Supercharged, coilovers)
2004 Infinity G35
1996 300zx
2005 Lotus Elise(Turbocharged) -2nd closest to perfection

and finally my 2003 Suzuka Blue s2000

Now, this car, rated as is, I put it even with my lotus as far as a total package, but, the lotus handled better, was much quicker, and had that exotic flare. Over all, I like the S2000 MORE because I can enjoy driving it in ANY condition. The Lotus was painful in an hour of traffic, FORGET a trip in it, and my daily 30mile commute really made me get rid of it.

Now, in my opinion, the s2000's steering is annoying. I like to flick my cars around, drive them sideways, and really push the limits, but with the s2000, the limits are annoying to drive at. Im not saying its HARDER per say, but its not as enjoyable, as you are fighting the wheel alot more than in any of my other RWD cars. So, the steering is the ONLY issue I have with this car. I love the looks, I love the engine, the transmission and shift action are as good as it gets, and I love how balanced the chassis is. I do want more power, but that can be solved, with a little extra effort, and about the same cash difference as trading in for a C5 vette.

On either car I end up with, they will eventually receive 4way adjustable suspension, adjustable front and rear sways, and, if necessary adjustable downforce front and back. I have a track I get to about 4 times a year.

As far as power is concerned, I would only want about ~400whp in an s2000, or about 500whp in a vette(500lb heavier car) So either car can meet my power needs, but the vette is much closer STOCK than the s2000 is.

The vette has its down sides to me too. Major issue, the SEATS! Who in their right mind would build a sports car with fat wallowy seats like this? I would do a sports/racing seat and a harness bar for a 5point harness(The harness isnt immediately needed in the S2000, but would be put there eventually too)This would cost about 1200 bucks. The second issue with the vette is the shifter/transmission....the damn thing feels like its set in concrete. I have been told by vette enthusiasts that there are MANY solutions for this problem, including changing the entire shifter assembly, which make it shift more precisely, faster, and smoother, so I would have to get that done RIGHT away (300-500 bucks) Lastly, the vettes are ALL TOO COMMON! We have about a half dozen or so s2000s in my area, but probably HUNDREDS of vettes. I like having a car that is a little more unique, but its not at the top of my priorities, so the vette would suffice.

Alright, now, if you would please, CHIME IN! Id like to hear from former/current vette owners who track their cars, preferably current s2000 owners. Id also like to hear from an s2000 expert who can give me advice about this steering(if there is any to give, I have tried to research new tracks, but found none)

Thanks for reading my ENORMOUS post , and thanks in advance for any replies!
Old 01-14-2010, 06:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

These posts are kinda funny

You are asking a bunch of S2000 owners why YOU should either keep the S2000 or trade it in for a C5

Go test drive it, then make YOUR OWN DECISION

two COMPLETELY different types of cars

FWIW

C5's are starting to look very dated IMO

C6 is a different story
Old 01-14-2010, 06:05 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

DON'T DO IT UNTIL YOU CAN GET A C6.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:06 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you track?

It sounds like you're a little idealistic for your budget.

No car is going to be all things.

That's like asking for a tire that performs like an R-compound, but has great Winter traction.

IMHO, you should have kept the Elise and picked up a CTS-V for around town.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:07 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by 4evertopless,Jan 14 2010, 06:55 AM
Ok, I have been through over a dozen cars already at age 26....I just cant find THE right car for me. My needs in a car are simple Great handling, Great power (or power potential) Good looking, and 2 seats ONLY.
First off, there is no ONE "perfect" car for anybody. Judging from your list, IMO the S2000 is going to be about as close as you get.

FIGHTING the steering in the S2k? IMO, it's pretty damn easy-steering (too much so, with too little feel, even). If you are ham-fisted with steering inputs, you may end up working harder to correct, but if you keep inputs at the helm reasonable and more subtle than other cars require (which are for the most part tuned for dead-understeer at the limits), you shouldn't be FIGHTING the wheel in the S.

If you want heavier-feeling steering that's also more numb, by all means get a C5!

I would recommend against it, though.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:16 AM

To answer a couple of questions, thanks for the quick replies

Yes I track
My "budget" is $40,000 or 1,000/mo
I couldnt afford a NICE daily car + the elise(and the elise was a pita to work on)
I am not "hamfisted" The car is great for tracking, but the problem comes in when I want to enjoy some gratuitous oversteer
Saki, please elaborate, I can get a c6, but was advised it isnt worth the extra 10 grand(Since I will be changing so much out in the c5, and power isnt my issue with that car)
Zdan, the corvette steering has as much, or MORE feel than the s2000, and is lighter at all speeds.

To clarify, I have driven many c5s, I know what they are about, but I have not tracked one, or driven one modified to the extent I would like to do. I am looking for feedback from someone who has driven a track tuned c5, and the s2000.

Oh, and I wouldnt dare ask this question on the vette forum....if you have been over there you would understand.

Thanks again, Clint
Old 01-14-2010, 06:17 AM

Here ya go, This will handle better then anything listed and anything you've ever driven, It gets pretty good gas milage, its comforable on the streets or the track, it has two seats, It's faster then a twin turbo vette will ever be, they do good in the rain and snow also- no really they do trust me. Ok you ready here it is.......

just keep the S2000 for when you have a date who is afraid of them
Old 01-14-2010, 06:23 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 4evertopless,Jan 14 2010, 07:16 AM
Zdan, the corvette steering has as much, or MORE feel than the s2000

Get a Vette, by all means.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by fastkx125,Jan 14 2010, 07:17 AM
Here ya go, This will handle better then anything listed and anything you've ever driven, It gets pretty good gas milage, its comforable on the streets or the track, it has two seats, It's faster then a twin turbo vette will ever be, they do good in the rain and snow also- no really they do trust me. Ok you ready here it is.......

just keep the S2000 for when you have a date who is afraid of them
Well thanks for the reply man, but I am married, and the wife says NO BIKES. We have a hit and run on a biker at least once a week around here. Too many old people and soccer moms jabbering on the phone.

I too suggested that I just get a bike and be done with it, they are GREAT adrenaline pumps!

Ckit, thank you for your input.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:41 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by 4evertopless,Jan 14 2010, 07:16 AM
Zdan, the corvette steering has as much, or MORE feel than the s2000, and is lighter at all speeds.
Hmmm, my impression was that the C5 steering felt HEAVIER at all speeds, but with little/no feel whatsoever. Kinda like there was a viscous device sapping steering input force without giving any feedback.

Only drove one once, though...

Quick Reply: Talk me out of trading my S2000(LONG)