Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Tech, does it matter that much to you?

Old 02-14-2019, 06:33 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

****ing tech. I don't need a cell phone to connect to my car to stream- I don't have a cell anyway and prefer sat radio. I don't need the car parking for me/steering/braking/lane change warning me...because I know how to ****ing drive. I'm glad all the other mental cases on the road have those features so they don't hit me. AAAND the tech can't be upgraded like your OS. You think in 5 years you'll be able to update your touch panel OS? You can bet the OEM's won't continue to support old systems.

I need 3 pedals, ABS, A/C, haptic feedback buttons, maybe heated seats. everything else is superfluous. I still drive a 2000 Civic SiR as a daily and its plenty.

rant off...and why can't we swear on these ****ing forums already
darcy

Last edited by darcyw; 02-14-2019 at 06:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
WolfpackS2k (02-20-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 06:46 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

I like hands-free phone connectivity and heated seats are a nice touch. Other than that, I really don't need or want anything else. Navigation is helpful as I'm right at the US/Canada border and not having to use my cell phone for navigation is a plus (no roaming data charges). I also don't want brake-controlled torque vectoring (thanks for making my brake pads last half the time, and overheating when I'm driving hard) or stop/start technology, among other things. I also hate variable cylinder management (shutting off half the engine cylinders during low-power driving) as it (ta da!) causes issues with vibration (a la $1000 electronic engine mount on a Honda Odyssey) or oil consumption issues on other vehicles (many of them).

As far as I'm concerned, put the money into making the car drive well and be reliable, as that's what matters most to me. I don't need a 1000W stereo, cooled seats or wifi while I drive and I want the car to do what I tell it, not what you tell it. I'm all for traction control/stability control (those are fine) but now it's lane departure warnings and cruise control warnings and all sorts of things. No thanks!
Old 02-15-2019, 07:08 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Depends on the purpose of the car.
if it’s a weekend sports car, I don’t care what it has. If it has Bluetooth and streaming capabilities, great. But if it doesn’t, that’s fine as long as the car is worth it (exige).

if it’s a DD, I won’t buy it if it doesn’t have CarPlay/Android auto.
I drive 20-25k miles/year. My car is essentially my office. I’m always on the phone. I need Bluetooth and Waze. Waze has saved me hours with traffic updates and police.
I know you can do all of this on your phone, but this is all hands free, bigger screen, and better integrated. It’s become standard technology, so why not have it?

also with safety tech like lane departure; etc etc, I don’t need it, but I won’t say it’s not beneficial for the masses to have it. It’s like people who hated traction control on the 06+ s2000s. Most people are stupid and bad drivers. We’re all human and make mistakes. I had a rental s90 save my ass when it emergency brakes bc an idiot pulled out without looking. If you want no technology and is raw, drive a car that doesn’t have power steering and abs.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:19 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Ok so....but pick some car you drool over and it does not have that.....
My Rapide does not have a wifi hot spot or streaming audio. It will have streaming audio this spring after a $1200 upgrade module I'll install. Aston is great for one's memory as using their nav is painful and you start remembering how to get places all of a sudden.

For non in-car tech, I like blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise, and head's up display. Will opt for all 3 on any car offered.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:53 AM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

The "around view" backup camera is the last bit of tech I got excited about - it really makes maneuvering in tight spaces a lot easier. Otherwise, unless the car is going to drive itself I don't really care much for it.
mosesbotbol (02-16-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 10:19 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hertz Donut
I spent 18 years driving a car with four-stage aircon - you wound down more windows as you wanted more air.

I remember manual chokes too.

mosesbotbol (02-16-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 10:44 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
So I keep reading review after review of new cars, and I see the MT headline about the X5 having decent driving dynamics, but oh the tech!!!!! I am also kind of interested to see what the next Golf R will offer and it might offer some more power but most articles focus on VW saying this will be the most online vehicle ever!!!!

My reaction to both is that I don't give a rats ass. I realize I am in the minority of people who do not own a cell phone, care to own a cell phone, or care about the tech. I have two cars that were loaded with what was the top tech at the time, way back in the olden days of 2014. They have both have NAV (the Cayman's is crap) and hard drives to store music. The BMW will read emails in a soothing voice if I had a phone, or read news or stock tickers if I had a phone, but I could not care less.

I really want the ability to play some music from some sort of medium (CD, Ipod, Radio, Sat Radio, 8 track, or whatever) and an awsome driving experience. I am sure Carplay or Android Auto are important to most, but really, outside of NAV and some sort of music streaming/playing are people really concerned about? Is tech the most important to you? Does a really fast infotainment make that much difference to one that takes a second or two if the other is a better car?

I gather from most reviews that tech is now the super important thing at a cost of (at least in my opinion) from R&D money on the driving experience. They got a fixed amount of money to spend, do you want them to have the latest tech, or put some steering feel into the numb electric steering?

Its all tech, tech, tech tech....... I am kind of bored with it. I'd still be fine with the S2000 no-tech and crappy radio if they had kept the car up with modern power levels.
100% No cell phone here either!
Levi
Old 02-15-2019, 10:47 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
****ing tech. I don't need a cell phone to connect to my car to stream- I don't have a cell anyway and prefer sat radio. I don't need the car parking for me/steering/braking/lane change warning me...because I know how to ****ing drive. I'm glad all the other mental cases on the road have those features so they don't hit me. AAAND the tech can't be upgraded like your OS. You think in 5 years you'll be able to update your touch panel OS? You can bet the OEM's won't continue to support old systems.

I need 3 pedals, ABS, A/C, haptic feedback buttons, maybe heated seats. everything else is superfluous. I still drive a 2000 Civic SiR as a daily and its plenty.

rant off...and why can't we swear on these ****ing forums already
darcy
Same here except I daily drive a 03 Ranger 4X4..
Old 02-15-2019, 12:08 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

ITT: A bunch of people apparently still don't have cell phones
Old 02-15-2019, 12:48 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by white98ls
ITT: A bunch of people apparently still don't have cell phones
Yeah this is what i was most surprised about. I couldn’t live without my cell phone. I’d rather sell my car before my phone lol.
mosesbotbol (02-16-2019)

Quick Reply: Tech, does it matter that much to you?