Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Tech, does it matter that much to you?

Old 02-18-2019, 06:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, I could never not own a cell phone. Just way too functional nowadays.

But far as car tech goes, eh... I don't really care. I'm good with a basic radio, haha.

I see people on the Civic Type R forums (hopefully my next car) complaining about a laggy infotainment, a lack of lane assist, a lack of heated seats, blah blah blah, and I'm like why do you want complicated tech that adds weight and can break in a raw driver's car? It's a total contradiction. I get some creature comforts, sure, but those specific complaints seem silly.

PS - Too much infotainment is nothing but a distraction to already distracted drivers. Sometimes I wonder how infotainment is even legal in cars.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:55 AM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

Apple CarPlay was the only thing I wanted. I don't have it on my DD (2013 model), but do have it on my performance car (2017), and yes that's tech I sure as S wanted. I don't do social media apps (fakebook, Twatter, instacrap, snapcrap) and think it's all lame. Car or bike forum is a ok with me because you use a handle and rarely does anyone post a pic of themselves. Anyway, I wanted CarPlay as there are times I have to take work calls in the car. And I like the idea that I'm not like the morons I see every day driving, actually having to avoid them due to their swerving, not going when the light hits green, slow driving, erratic driving, etc. I plug my phone into the console and use CarPlay and I literally don't touch the g damn phone again until I get out of the car. It's out of sight and out of mind. If I get a text from work people it reads it off for me, and just allows you to use the headunit and not touch the phone. I wish I had that tech in my DD but I don't so I just use bluetooth. Sadly this means to turn the radio station I must put a phone in my hand. I do use a smartphone as an Ipod, radio station, etc.

The tech that I am going out of my way to avoid is ADAS.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanc...stance_systems
My daily is electric, and has zero ADAS. My performance car has zero ADAS. And my next vehicle purchase will not have it either if I can help it and that's causing some frustration from me as I feel like I'm behind in a race to get my fleet secured. I have to wait 2 more years to get my truck and the 2017, 2018, and 2019 versions, ADAS is only on the upper trims. I'm buying a middle trim that doesn't have it specifically because I don't want any of that crap on my vehicle. But it could be as early as next year where the ADAS package is standard on all trims, which means I'm screwed, and MSRP will go up to compensate, so it's lose/lose all the way around. ADAS means another cpu, sensors, and even if I just need a windshield replaced, the vehicle has to go back to the stealer to recalibrate the ADAS in it. That's $$$. My insurance will cover that but that means higher rates, no thanks. Same thing for a wreck, these added sensors, etc, all cost more to fix. My truck will be a 20 year vehicle. I don't want the added complexity. The other thing ADAS brings is being married to the OEM headunit. Want to change the stereo out in 4-5 years to something newer, SOL, you're fukt. Headunit goes T U after warranty, well have fun paying that $2500 or $3500 to the stealer for a replacement when aftermarket is $500. I was in the music business for 20+ years, and I'm picky about the audio system but not nearly as picky as other folks. But I do want the ability to change out a head unit to something modern when I'm ready. ADAS means that is virtually impossible. I don't like buying used vehicles but my truck may have to be the exception to this because house remodeling, life, etc, means I can't add yet another vehicle to the fleet right now. I must wait.

These driving nannies as I call them (lane keep assist, collision mitigation braking, adaptive cruise, blind spot monitoring) don't even work all that great. I've read on the Accord forums of the car panic breaking when the driver did not want it to and it's caused some near getting rear ended wrecks. So a safety system implemented by the manu is actually more dangerous than not having in some instances. And these systems freak out on a 2 lane country twisty road, which I often ride/drive. No thanks. Maybe in 5-10 years once these systems are out of their infancy. Until then get the F off my lawn! Do not want. I pray to God I can get my last vehicle in my fleet before it's no longer possible to buy a new vehicle without this BS already installed. Time is running out. JD Power, Consumer Reports, etc, are already discounting vehicles in their safety ratings, that don't have these systems installed, so it's just a matter of time now. I'll be interested in this technology when I can buy a cheap electric DD, and get in the back seat and have it drive me to work. Until then, I want to drive the vehicle and be in control of all motor functions. I often do quick lane changes, swerve around people, panic braking, all sorts of moves on the road and highway to get around distracted dip S's driving while surfing on their phones. I have put the time in at HPDE's, track days on my bikes, and general advanced riding/driving courses so I can beat these stupid computer systems each and every time. I don't want a vehicle with any of this crap on it whatsoever.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:42 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

^ I bought my latest Honda for the safety systems offered, but having experienced them they really don't work so well IMO. Adaptive cruise and collision mitigation seem to conspire to slam on the brakes just as I'm changing lanes to go around a slower vehicle, I absolutely hate it. I can see how people get rear ended as it slams on the brakes at inopportune times. Buying a Subaru right now and I'm skipping the safety stuff this time around.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:31 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

I have blind spot monitoring, my eyes. I have collision avoidance, my attentativeness and my brain. I have parallel parking assist, which is understanding of the car and skill.

They were all free, and work great because I dont stare at a cell phone I do not have. All at no cost, plus I enjoy driving instead of stressing out over some non-critical daily problem at work. More people should try it. Plus , my not having a cell phone plan is way cheaper than yours with no data limits.

The best part is people who I dont want to bother me, can't.

Last edited by vader1; 02-20-2019 at 05:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sam_spider (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 06:24 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

I will say that I don't care for tech that much, but features/tech I do like is:

1. Apple CarPlay for Waze (love it!)
2. heated/cooled seats (so comfy)
3. HUD
4. keyless entry/push button start (just means one less hand needed when dragging crap in and out of a car
5. front axle lift (love it on the GT3 as I don't scrape the bottom front bumper on big bumps)

I did get to try semi-autonomous cruise in a new 5 series in Europe last year, it was pretty darn nice in stop and go traffic and when just cruising down the highway at a steady speed. But the tech isn't quite there, at least on this 5 series, but it was still nice when it worked well. So, when the tech is finally 100%, I think it will be nice to hit a button and go into an auto drive mode when in certain crappy conditions (heavy highway traffic or stop/go). Otherwise, I want it off completely.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:34 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
I will say that I don't care for tech that much, but features/tech I do like is:

1. Apple CarPlay for Waze (love it!)
2. heated/cooled seats (so comfy)
3. HUD
4. keyless entry/push button start (just means one less hand needed when dragging crap in and out of a car
5. front axle lift (love it on the GT3 as I don't scrape the bottom front bumper on big bumps)

I did get to try semi-autonomous cruise in a new 5 series in Europe last year, it was pretty darn nice in stop and go traffic and when just cruising down the highway at a steady speed. But the tech isn't quite there, at least on this 5 series, but it was still nice when it worked well. So, when the tech is finally 100%, I think it will be nice to hit a button and go into an auto drive mode when in certain crappy conditions (heavy highway traffic or stop/go). Otherwise, I want it off completely.
yeah, auto-drive would be super helpful for stop and go. It works really well on a pretty crazy highway (pch) in my friends model threes.

The hud in my bmw is very useful. I don’t even think i use the apple play. Haha. You should try out the around view cameras in the new bmws. It’s pretty cool. Helpful for avoiding curbs in parking lots and just fun to play with.

I took my acr out yesterday, which is devoid of almost any tech and a manual. It’s still fun, but for short time spans. For longer stints give me my heated/cooled seats, and all the other gizmos. Also, the comp pack M5 makes lots of crazy downshift and explosive noises out the back...the only thing the viper and it have in common.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:48 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by ealand0001

yeah, auto-drive would be super helpful for stop and go. It works really well on a pretty crazy highway (pch) in my friends model threes.

The hud in my bmw is very useful. I don’t even think i use the apple play. Haha. You should try out the around view cameras in the new bmws. It’s pretty cool. Helpful for avoiding curbs in parking lots and just fun to play with.

I took my acr out yesterday, which is devoid of almost any tech and a manual. It’s still fun, but for short time spans. For longer stints give me my heated/cooled seats, and all the other gizmos. Also, the comp pack M5 makes lots of crazy downshift and explosive noises out the back...the only thing the viper and it have in common.
I would like around view cameras too for backing into tight spaces, etc. That would definitely be helpful on occasion. Man, you have the daily driver I really want if I didn't need a stupid truck for work (driving on construction and plant sites occasionally). I love the comp pack new M5. That would make a killer daily. Congrats and enjoy!
Old 02-19-2019, 03:09 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Heat/cooled seats
Bluetooth w/music
Nav

That's all I want in most vehicles. I think we're being slowly moved towards the point they dont want us driving the vehicle.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:18 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
I think we're being slowly moved towards the point they dont want us driving the vehicle.
again, "they" can just suck it. the more "they" think us humans can't fend for ourselves, the more we'll become less adept at skills we've developed over time- in this case driving. In reality, this pussification and tech-ification of driving- lane departure, BSM etc- will ultimately make us worser drivers because we rely on a computer to drive for us. Count me out- I know, I'm a broken record here. But, if few of us speak out against this ridiculous fascination with handing over control, the next thing you know the machines will make all the decisions for us, then make us slaves. You remember the documentary Terminator series?

darcy
Old 02-19-2019, 06:19 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
I have blind spot monitoring, my eyes. I have collision avoidance, my attentativeness and my brain. I have parallel parking assist, which is understanding of the car and skill.

They were all free, and work great because I dont stare at a cell phone I do not have. All at no cost, plus I enjoy driving instead of stressing out over some non-critical daily problem at work. More people should try it. Plus , my not having a cell phone plan is way cheaper than yours with no data limits.

The best part is people who I dont want to bother me, can’t.
+1
darcy

Quick Reply: Tech, does it matter that much to you?