Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Tech, does it matter that much to you?

Old 02-19-2019, 07:22 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
again, "they" can just suck it. the more "they" think us humans can't fend for ourselves, the more we'll become less adept at skills we've developed over time- in this case driving. In reality, this pussification and tech-ification of driving- lane departure, BSM etc- will ultimately make us worser drivers because we rely on a computer to drive for us. Count me out- I know, I'm a broken record here. But, if few of us speak out against this ridiculous fascination with handing over control, the next thing you know the machines will make all the decisions for us, then make us slaves. You remember the documentary Terminator series?

darcy
you are ridiculous. Car tech getting more techy means terminators....k.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
I would like around view cameras too for backing into tight spaces, etc. That would definitely be helpful on occasion. Man, you have the daily driver I really want if I didn't need a stupid truck for work (driving on construction and plant sites occasionally). I love the comp pack new M5. That would make a killer daily. Congrats and enjoy!
it’s a great car. You got your m4? (M3??) for free. Free is better! The new m5 is like the last one, but everything is extra. It’s like they took the previous one and improved everything and gave it this awesome Awd system, but also allowed it to be rwd, while allowing it to make insane noises. You need the M sport exhaust which is standard on the competition version. It’s the version you want. If I were you I’d sell the free car and get one, totally worth it!
Old 02-19-2019, 09:30 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
again, "they" can just suck it. the more "they" think us humans can't fend for ourselves, the more we'll become less adept at skills we've developed over time- in this case driving. In reality, this pussification and tech-ification of driving- lane departure, BSM etc- will ultimately make us worser drivers because we rely on a computer to drive for us. Count me out- I know, I'm a broken record here. But, if few of us speak out against this ridiculous fascination with handing over control, the next thing you know the machines will make all the decisions for us, then make us slaves. You remember the documentary Terminator series?
I follow you, although in my mind the dystopian future that all of this is leading up to is likely a bit closer to that of "WALL-E" than Terminator.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:44 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang
For my fun car, no, I want a great driving experience... don't care about the tech, actually the less tech the better (IMO)

For my daily, yes I love the tech. Love the Apple Car Play/Android Auto integration, love satellite navigation, even some of the AutoPilot functionality Tesla/Mercedes/etc have. Granted I am in IT, so I love technology in general and its a huge part of my life.
yup.
weekend car: no radio, no powered seat, no nav, no carpet. Loud, harsh, light, spartan.
DD: all the luxuries that a midsize sedan has. Quiet, soft, heavy, many features.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:45 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by GuthNW
I follow you, although in my mind the dystopian future that all of this is leading up to is likely a bit closer to that of "WALL-E" than Terminator.
This. Oh so this.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:32 PM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Well, I put around 7,000 commuter miles a year on my GS-R. So that should answer the question to this thread, haha.

It has a stereo with USB connection. And I've got a windshield mount for my phone (and use Waze a lot).

I'm good, haha.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:30 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by ealand0001

you are ridiculous. Car tech getting more techy means terminators....k.
yes. yes I am ridiculous. but old curmudgeons like me are allowed to play devil's advocate.
darcy

Last edited by darcyw; 02-20-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:30 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

The current car commercials about people that can't get out of a parking space without help cracks me up.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:05 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Good Lordy. Learn to adjust your mirrors correctly and you won’t need all around cameras.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer
Good Lordy. Learn to adjust your mirrors correctly and you won’t need all around cameras.
that’s dumb. You know it possible to know how mirrors work and like cameras. Derp.

Quick Reply: Tech, does it matter that much to you?