S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   Tech, does it matter that much to you? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/tech-does-matter-much-you-1191824/)

vader1 02-21-2019 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by ealand0001 (Post 24568850)

that’s dumb. You know it possible to know how mirrors work and like cameras. Derp.

But it is not dumb because that is not what he said. He said learn to adjust your mirrors and you won't NEED cameras (NEED being the key word) and you responded that was dumb because it was possible to know how mirrors work and still "like" cameras. Like and need are two different things. The question was "is tech that important to you?" I gather his response (referring to cameras) is "no" because he does not need them, and you suggest that is somehow stupid because a person (I am gathering you meant yourself in this case) can like them, followed by "Derp" which made little to no sense. I award you zero points and may God have mercy on your soul.

JonBoy 02-21-2019 06:34 AM

"Feisty!"

"Feisty, indeed!"

ealand0001 02-21-2019 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by vader1 (Post 24568928)
But it is not dumb because that is not what he said. He said learn to adjust your mirrors and you won't NEED cameras (NEED being the key word) and you responded that was dumb because it was possible to know how mirrors work and still "like" cameras. Like and need are two different things. The question was "is tech that important to you?" I gather his response (referring to cameras) is "no" because he does not need them, and you suggest that is somehow stupid because a person (I am gathering you meant yourself in this case) can like them, followed by "Derp" which made little to no sense. I award you zero points and may God have mercy on your soul.

he brought up need. Of course i don’t need them. I’ve never hit anything in my orange dinosaur mobile and it has no cameras.

The topic isn’t “what tech do you need.” My response was flippant because his point was dumb and obvious. No one needs a lot of stuff in new cars.

All around cameras when done well are cool and sometimes useful. They allow you to see things, mirrors can’t without getting out of the car. But, you don’t need them. That’s such an obvious statement, hence the derp. We don’t need power steering either, but it’s useful. You really want to discuss all the things we don’t need in a modern car, what for? You just want a literal go-kart? If not, someone will make fun of you for not being hard core enough because you need spring based suspense....wuss.

car talk should be renamed to Luddite talk at this point.

vader1 02-21-2019 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by JonBoy (Post 24568945)
"Feisty!"

"Feisty, indeed!"

I was just having fun at the derp part, it was a little over the top so I went for it. :)

vader1 02-21-2019 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by ealand0001 (Post 24568951)

You just want a literal go-kart?

Pretty close to what the S2000 was, so sure. Just asking people though because all the companies seem to be racing each other on tech and gadgets and I personally don't care, but wanted to know what others thought. I thought it was a legit question and Car Talk has gotten slowwwwwwwwwww. Not to much going on besides throwing Ghosn in the clink.

ealand0001 02-21-2019 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by vader1 (Post 24568980)
Pretty close to what the S2000 was, so sure. Just asking people though because all the companies seem to be racing each other on tech and gadgets and I personally don't care, but wanted to know what others thought. I thought it was a legit question and Car Talk has gotten slowwwwwwwwwww. Not to much going on besides throwing Ghosn in the clink.

right, I only made fun of the need comment. Cuz, that’s a duh comment. Your topic is great, lots of good discussions.

“Enjoy your s2000 (gokart) *snicker*” - Every Elise owner ever! Cars are full of stuff we don’t need. It’s awesome. An s2000 isn’t even necessary as a car.

I wish the the lady behind me this morning had auto brake, I’d have a nicely smashed rear-end if it wasn’t for the center lane. It would be great if everyone cared to learn to be a great driver and understood the dynamics of their cars well, but I live in the real world. In my job I manage hundreds of people, you get good at being pragmatic if you want to succeed. It is more likely the tech will improve and make us safer in spite of ourselves vs people will just get better at driving.

As as far as the particular around camera in the m5, it’s really good. Probably the best on the market. Neat party trick and occasionally useful. But, I’ve had many cars at this point and have hit zero objects at low speed where the camera really helps, well....maybe a curb or two, but that’s pretty good in 27 years of driving. So no, I don’t need it, but I like it and wish our odyssey had it.

mosesbotbol 02-21-2019 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by vader1 (Post 24568928)
But it is not dumb because that is not what he said. He said learn to adjust your mirrors and you won't NEED cameras

I think it a fools task not to have backup camera and front sensors in an exotic sports car. Visibility can be next to nothing and the cost if any damage happens is so high. No one buys these cars to save money, so why not have the camera?

vader1 02-21-2019 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 24569010)
I think it a fools task not to have backup camera and front sensors in an exotic sports car. Visibility can be next to nothing and the cost if any damage happens is so high. No one buys these cars to save money, so why not have the camera?

Aren't they required by law now on every 2019 and newer anyway? I thought that is why they stuck one smack dab in the middle of the Miata bumper.

vader1 02-21-2019 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by ealand0001 (Post 24569007)

right, I only made fun of the need comment. Cuz, that’s a duh comment.

No worries, I just love to be a smart ass sometimes. I can't help it. Seriously.

Hakkaboy 02-21-2019 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 24569010)

I've been driving for 25 years now and my "newest" car is now 10 years old, and every time when I drive a friend's newer car or a rental car, I'm always end up (unintentionally) leaving almost 2 extra feet of room in front of me when I'm parking. I hate how I can't see anything in front anymore to gauge distance