Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Tesla Model 3 Track Day car?

Old 07-12-2018, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool to see that Tesla is putting their cars in Motorsports.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:37 AM
Jub

Received 386 Likes on 309 Posts

It doesn't look nearly as fun but is only about a second off from their "ASS2000" lap time on the same track. I think that was on RS3 V2's vs. the Model 3 on RE71R's but still impressive and actually a bit sad to me. The ASS2000 had coilovers, sways, geo adjustment, exhaust/intake, wing, and 255s all around during its 1:19 lap.

Speed Academy also has an older video with Sasha and his Lotus Evora with a P90 drivetrain. The guy is brilliant and it is by far the coolest and fastest EV that I've seen so far. His 350z is also incredible. Idk how to feel about the Model 3 in general but am at least glad to see parts development for track time in an EV.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:11 AM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Jub
It doesn't look nearly as fun but is only about a second off from their "ASS2000" lap time on the same track. I think that was on RS3 V2's vs. the Model 3 on RE71R's but still impressive and actually a bit sad to me. The ASS2000 had coilovers, sways, geo adjustment, exhaust/intake, wing, and 255s all around during its 1:19 lap.

Speed Academy also has an older video with Sasha and his Lotus Evora with a P90 drivetrain. The guy is brilliant and it is by far the coolest and fastest EV that I've seen so far. His 350z is also incredible. Idk how to feel about the Model 3 in general but am at least glad to see parts development for track time in an EV.
The ASS2000 isn't much quicker than the bone stock CTR too. I suspect that the Model 3 and CTR would both post 1:20 laps with more time in them. Mixed feelings from me, as well.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:27 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Chibo
The ASS2000 isn't much quicker than the bone stock CTR too. I suspect that the Model 3 and CTR would both post 1:20 laps with more time in them. Mixed feelings from me, as well.
To be fair, my gut says the SA dudes are leaving chunks of time on the table in their setup that Sasha is not.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:42 AM

That is a very good point, especially for the S2000
Old 07-13-2018, 06:26 PM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito

I think irrelevant unless you could afford to put 50k track miles on it per year. The batteries they use are best out there. They drop a percentage by 100k but then level off. The battery pack and ac motors on the S are built to last like Diesel engines, 400k, 500k. Plenty of high mileage examples out there. F da,n things are just expensive, especially if you want AWD and the P designation. But given these early reports of track use, we are seeing a progression here and a step forward.
What I meant was how many laps can I turn without stopping to re-charge? When switching from the C6Z to the C7Z, the fuel usage has become atrocious. I don't mind paying for it, but I do mind driving to the fuel station multiple times or lugging jugs of fuel.

Can the car last for a full track day?
Old 07-16-2018, 07:40 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Porsche has been recording revs within certain ranges (including OEM rev limiter RPM) for over 10 years.
Porsche does not void warranties for minor overrevs. There are five categories, four of which are a mis-shift. I am not sure too many companies give you coverage for mis-shifting. Porsche does not void warranties for taking them to the track. The dealer I bought from buys you a free track day with instruction when you purchase.
The following users liked this post:
WolfpackS2k (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by vader1
Porsche does not void warranties for minor overrevs. There are five categories, four of which are a mis-shift. I am not sure too many companies give you coverage for mis-shifting. Porsche does not void warranties for taking them to the track. The dealer I bought from buys you a free track day with instruction when you purchase.
That is interesting, it says in the 997 TT manual that I have that they void for Abuse, accident, acts of God, competition, racing or track use or other events beyond the control of Porsche Cars N.A.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:40 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

That is interesting, it says in the 997 TT manual that I have that they void for Abuse, accident, acts of God, competition, racing or track use or other events beyond the control of Porsche Cars N.A.

Dunno what to say. Napleton Westmont Porsche in Chicago includes a day at some motorsports ranch with purchase. I did not take mine because it is 400 miles away from me and the scheduled days did not work. I just got my car serviced by the dealer here, ($500 for an oil change and a cabin air filter, ridiculous) and they put off the brake fluid swap until next year since I told them I might take a school with it next year. I asked if it would void the warranty and they told me "not if you don't do anything abusive." Beats me. Maybe it varies on the dealer but I am sure most don't want to rat out customers who drop $70-$250k on a car when they can push repair off on a corporate warranty.

After $1350 on a new set of tires, I am not so sure I want to go take a school anyway. Between the fee and tires probably more than I want to spend.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:47 AM

Yeah, I mean I think you're right and it probably comes down to how you and the dealer word it to Porsche NA. I envy those that have the testicular fortitude / wallet to track these things

Quick Reply: Tesla Model 3 Track Day car?