Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Tesla Model 3 Track Day car?

Old 07-17-2018, 08:49 AM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
I for one can't wait to see them race in the Cocoa Cola 60.
Saw what you did here

Originally Posted by rwheelz
What I meant was how many laps can I turn without stopping to re-charge? When switching from the C6Z to the C7Z, the fuel usage has become atrocious. I don't mind paying for it, but I do mind driving to the fuel station multiple times or lugging jugs of fuel.

Can the car last for a full track day?
I'm wondering this as well. Also seems like you would have to trailer it to the track as well, as can it make it back home?
Old 07-17-2018, 09:44 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Chibo
That is interesting, it says in the 997 TT manual that I have that they void for Abuse, accident, acts of God, competition, racing or track use or other events beyond the control of Porsche Cars N.A.
I can almost guarantee that Porsche won't void a warranty for participating in a Porsche Club of America track event. Track events do not fall under the category of car abuse. Mis-shifts and overrevs are abuse. Putting R-Comp tires onto an otherwise stock vehicle is also abuse. Abuse = operating the vehicle outside of it's designed physical range.

Originally Posted by vader1

Dunno what to say. Napleton Westmont Porsche in Chicago includes a day at some motorsports ranch with purchase. I did not take mine because it is 400 miles away from me and the scheduled days did not work. I just got my car serviced by the dealer here, ($500 for an oil change and a cabin air filter, ridiculous) and they put off the brake fluid swap until next year since I told them I might take a school with it next year. I asked if it would void the warranty and they told me "not if you don't do anything abusive." Beats me. Maybe it varies on the dealer but I am sure most don't want to rat out customers who drop $70-$250k on a car when they can push repair off on a corporate warranty.

After $1350 on a new set of tires, I am not so sure I want to go take a school anyway. Between the fee and tires probably more than I want to spend.
I wouldn't really worry about tire wear for one singular event. Rather, you'll almost certainly destroy your OEM brake pads, unless you swap to something more track appropriate. Unless you're extremely hamfisted the tire wear is minimal. A week after my last VIR event you could barely tell my tires had been subjected to 2 days on track in race conditions (Michelin Pilot Super Sports). Caymans are so balanced the tire abuse isn't that severe. This isn't some 3700 lb ponycar that's going to shred an entire set of tires over 2 days.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:06 AM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

What I meant was how many laps can I turn without stopping to re-charge? When switching from the C6Z to the C7Z, the fuel usage has become atrocious. I don't mind paying for it, but I do mind driving to the fuel station multiple times or lugging jugs of fuel.

Can the car last for a full track day?

Would you please elaborate? What kind of difference did you experience? I'm thinking about buying one or the other.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:22 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Chibo
Your M3 weighs about the same as a Model 3.
Understeer would likely disappear with a square tire setup.
No it's more than 200 lbs lighter and I still consider it too heavy for a track car which is why it doesn't get tracked. M3 is way more fun on the street too with 530 rwhp.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:44 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
No it's more than 200 lbs lighter
*citation needed
Old 08-04-2018, 09:39 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

New article from Road & Track about tracking a Model 3 Performance and the new “track mode” Tesla has released. https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ce-track-test/

Let's be honest. This isn't a "track car." It's not meant to compete with the Camaro ZL1 1LE, Mustang Shelby GT350R or the dearly-departed Dodge Viper ACR. If you're buying a four-door sedan, even a righteously quick one, you're probably not planning on chasing apexes and torturing tires with it every weekend.

In that context, the Tesla Model 3 Performance does a realistic job of delivering impressive numbers and unbeatable feel. It's quick, it's tossable, and unlike everything your garage buddies told you, it won't melt at the mere whisper of a full-speed lap.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:03 AM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
Would you please elaborate? What kind of difference did you experience? I'm thinking about buying one or the other.
In terms of track use and fuel consumption: The C7Z consumes twice as much fuel. It struggles to manage its own heat when pushed and the ECU pours on the fuel. Like I said, I don't mind burning a couple hundred bucks on fuel for a track weekend, but the range becomes an issue. Is there a station close enough to the track to refill every two sessions? The C6Z was bad compared to tracking my S2000, but nothing like this newer car. You can almost see the fuel gauge move. 2-3mpg vs 4-6mpg. How much fuel do you want to bring along in jugs?

In terms of track use: It consumes tires and brakes even more quickly as well. It is more than 200 lbs heavier comparing them on my own corner scales. It feels heavier, though manages its weight just fine and is superior in terms of outright grip regardless comparing stock for stock (my C6Z did not have magnetic suspension). It just plain costs more to run. It puts down amazing hero laps, likely faster than the C6Z at most tracks. It falls off quickly in the heat and feels flat. You will need a power steering duct (GM product) to prevent the steering system warning, the secondary radiator (even with the M7, forget about it with the automatic, you WILL hit limp mode if you can drive at all from what I have read on CF) which is also a GM product (standard on newer C7Z), and ideally some higher octane fuel or fuel treatment like torco. OR, be willing to back off and let it cool off for a lap every so often, run shorter sessions, etc. The C6Z will ultimately need some cooling mods as well (radiator upgrade and oil cooler) to last in the heat, but lasts twice as long before heat-saturating to critical levels.

I wish I could point you to my many posts on CF and even a couple on here describing why I prefer the C6Z to the C7Z, but they are spread out. I have talked several people out of making the switch. In hindsight, I would have kept my C6Z, mostly as I prefer the power delivery of the LS7. The fuel mileage also matters (C6Z will average 25mpg traveling 100mph) because of the shorter range. The C6Z is also faster at very high speeds if that is your thing. A heads/cam/bolt-on C6Z puts down nearly 600whp on pump fuel while still being drivable. My C7Z is under warranty and they are very strict about modifications, so I am leaving it alone and racking up as many miles as I can. Toss in that the C7Z is nearly twice the price and you have a winner.

Now that I derailed the thread, how many laps can a tesla turn, and how long does it take to recharge? I am genuinely curious. I thought generally electric motors had limited range when pushed to the max.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:50 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I would not compare an m3 with a tesla, that's just me.

The m3 with all the minor flaws that were corrected later is really a superb car, if i am not driving it I am thinking about driving it next.

After driving my 2016 m3 my friend, bought a used 2016 m3 with 9,000 miles on it...had to pay top dollar, it was the only used yas marina with red interior one available in calif at the time, I think it was an impulse buy. To keep the warrant the dealer had to uninstall the tune it had, he needed 4 new tires and an alignment and some minor suspension work....after a year he got his model three which took two years to get to him with the extra costs of $20,000 over the "suggested price when new as offered", so it was north of 60k. He sold the m3 for I don't know how much. he put 10,000 miles on it. He now tracks his model 3 and except for the body roll loves it. he also thinks it's a nice autocross car. He loves not buying gas. His other car is a lotus Elise sport,which he tracks all the time when it is running right.

i see model 3's every day around the bay area....the looks have grown on me as it has a few nice angles....i think the interior would be hard pressed to beat out a civic. Each to their own, he gets way better mpg that i do!
Old 08-07-2018, 11:39 AM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

In hindsight, I would have kept my C6Z, mostly as I prefer the power delivery of the LS7. Now that I derailed the thread.
To derail the thread a little further, Did you ever fear the valve guide issue on the LS7? I've known people to sell their C6Z's in fear of it.

That was also one reason I opted for the C5Z. The other was the prices, C5's are really cheap these days, and are a hell of a value.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There was a SALEEN Tesla at cars and coffee this weekend. Hate these cars....

Quick Reply: Tesla Model 3 Track Day car?