Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Tesla Model 3 Track Day car?

Old 08-07-2018, 11:46 AM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Not fear, no, but I would definitely have it checked on any C6Z. It isn't expensive to have it checked, even if you lack the skills to DIY. Honestly, many C6Z's for sale now have had the heads addressed anyway.

I agree the C5Z has incredible value right now. You can't go wrong with any of these cars. The C7Z's are getting cheaper on the used market (haven't seen one in the 50's yet, but close) and the new ones are heavily discounted. A C6Z will become a tougher sell as C7Z prices drop. I expect prices to move toward current C5Z prices in short order.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:52 AM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
In terms of track use and fuel consumption: The C7Z consumes twice as much fuel. It struggles to manage its own heat when pushed and the ECU pours on the fuel. Like I said, I don't mind burning a couple hundred bucks on fuel for a track weekend, but the range becomes an issue. Is there a station close enough to the track to refill every two sessions? The C6Z was bad compared to tracking my S2000, but nothing like this newer car. You can almost see the fuel gauge move. 2-3mpg vs 4-6mpg. How much fuel do you want to bring along in jugs?

In terms of track use: It consumes tires and brakes even more quickly as well. It is more than 200 lbs heavier comparing them on my own corner scales. It feels heavier, though manages its weight just fine and is superior in terms of outright grip regardless comparing stock for stock (my C6Z did not have magnetic suspension). It just plain costs more to run. It puts down amazing hero laps, likely faster than the C6Z at most tracks. It falls off quickly in the heat and feels flat. You will need a power steering duct (GM product) to prevent the steering system warning, the secondary radiator (even with the M7, forget about it with the automatic, you WILL hit limp mode if you can drive at all from what I have read on CF) which is also a GM product (standard on newer C7Z), and ideally some higher octane fuel or fuel treatment like torco. OR, be willing to back off and let it cool off for a lap every so often, run shorter sessions, etc. The C6Z will ultimately need some cooling mods as well (radiator upgrade and oil cooler) to last in the heat, but lasts twice as long before heat-saturating to critical levels.

I wish I could point you to my many posts on CF and even a couple on here describing why I prefer the C6Z to the C7Z, but they are spread out. I have talked several people out of making the switch. In hindsight, I would have kept my C6Z, mostly as I prefer the power delivery of the LS7. The fuel mileage also matters (C6Z will average 25mpg traveling 100mph) because of the shorter range. The C6Z is also faster at very high speeds if that is your thing. A heads/cam/bolt-on C6Z puts down nearly 600whp on pump fuel while still being drivable. My C7Z is under warranty and they are very strict about modifications, so I am leaving it alone and racking up as many miles as I can. Toss in that the C7Z is nearly twice the price and you have a winner.

Now that I derailed the thread, how many laps can a tesla turn, and how long does it take to recharge? I am genuinely curious. I thought generally electric motors had limited range when pushed to the max.

Thank you. I'm definitely going to get the C6 Z06.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:53 AM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by lane_viper
To derail the thread a little further, Did you ever fear the valve guide issue on the LS7? I've known people to sell their C6Z's in fear of it.

That was also one reason I opted for the C5Z. The other was the prices, C5's are really cheap these days, and are a hell of a value.
Unfortunately, our C5Zs need hearwork as well. Mine had it done by the previous owner, so I avoided the expense.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:32 AM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
Thank you. I'm definitely going to get the C6 Z06.
I would switch back if I wasn't stuck with the C7Z. It is the better daily driver and all around GT car, but not worth the extra expense and too many limitations on serious use. If I sold it now I would lose a small fortune, so I am going to ride out the warranty while driving the piss out of it!

Hirev- what does your buddy say about tracking the tesla? Here:

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-mode...-racing-video/

The guy claims it lasted for a 9-lap session at full power at Laguna Sea (also says it used up brake pads by 4th lap!). Can it run a second session? We know it can't make it around the ring at full power, but perhaps that was an older version with different batteries?
The following users liked this post:
Kenny_Stang (08-13-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 07:57 AM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
Unfortunately, our C5Zs need hearwork as well. Mine had it done by the previous owner, so I avoided the expense.
If you are talking about valve spring replacements yes, but Valve guide fix and replacing valve springs are two way different things.

I replace the valve springs in mine with OEM for piece of mind when I got it for around $60 and a few hours of my time, but you need a machine shop and about $2k to fix the valve guide problem on the LS7.