Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Tesla X Falcon doors hubris...

Old 06-02-2016, 04:54 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Tesla X Falcon doors hubris...

So, Musk is apologizing for the dumb door design, and insisting that software can fix the issue...

http://blog.caranddriver.com/musk-at...e-will-fix-it/

Who wants to bet on a physical redesign by end of 2017?
Old 06-02-2016, 05:27 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

I always though it was a stupid idea to begin with. Why do it? Because we are Tesla and we are different! That makes sense for some things but why reinvent the wheel if there is no benefit?

With their overcomplicated design you maybe save a few raindrops off your head once in a while, that's about it. The normal door has pretty much been perfected and I can't help but think they either added weight or gave up rigidity and gained nothing but headaches.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:37 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Bob Lutz said that tesla will have issues, he said what you think manufacturers didn't know about Gullwing doors but only tesla was smart enough to put it on a car? There's long term durability issues and safety concerns. SUVs rolls over for instance...

This sparked another conversation I had with a buddy, the sliding door is probably the most underappreciated design ever.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:52 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Quote of the year. Glad this guy is the CEO...

Elon Musk:

“We always try to do the right thing. We really care about that. . . . When we make mistakes it’s just because we’re being foolish or stupid or whatever, but it’s really always made with the right motivations. We say the things we believe even when the things we say are delusional.”

Say what? We say the things we believe even when they are delusional? Awesome! I'm so glad you're saying these delusional things with the right motivation, otherwise, we'd totally call you out on it. But since you're doing it for the right reasons, we'll let it slide.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:17 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Look guys they pushed the limits here on tech. It's pretty big of him to admit fault and take responsibility so quickly. The doors were stupid, but people still bought. The nightmare they have to address is the software development and customer complaints to resolve this matter.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Quote of the year. Glad this guy is the CEO
JonBoy trash talking Elon. Hahahahahahahah. Bwahahahahah.

The guy accomplishes more on any given Monday than you will in a year.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:13 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

The somewhat decently kept secret is that teslas have problems, even with the model s. Drive train is stout but tesla didn't reinvent the wheel there. I think they'll get there but it's just funny talking with tesla folks, they're like bandwagon car enthusiasts, suddenly they're car people and all up on car info. Don't get me wrong, the falcon doors are a nice party trick and I'd love one, but some tesla folks think musk is a genius for coming up with it.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:30 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rnye
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1464961964' post='23983852
Quote of the year. Glad this guy is the CEO
JonBoy trash talking Elon. Hahahahahahahah. Bwahahahahah.

The guy accomplishes more on any given Monday than you will in a year.
I know. He's so weird about tesla.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:55 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Quote of the year. Glad this guy is the CEO...

Elon Musk:

“We always try to do the right thing. We really care about that. . . . When we make mistakes it’s just because we’re being foolish or stupid or whatever, but it’s really always made with the right motivations. We say the things we believe even when the things we say are delusional.”

Say what? We say the things we believe even when they are delusional? Awesome! I'm so glad you're saying these delusional things with the right motivation, otherwise, we'd totally call you out on it. But since you're doing it for the right reasons, we'll let it slide.
Better than GM CEOs letting people die and never taking responsibility
Old 06-06-2016, 05:17 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Look guys they pushed the limits here on tech. It's pretty big of him to admit fault and take responsibility so quickly. The doors were stupid, but people still bought. The nightmare they have to address is the software development and customer complaints to resolve this matter.
No, they overshot the limits on tech. They released a product that wasn't ready for release. It really is that simple.

If they keep it up, they'll lose their shirts on the Model 3. They can't afford to have a gimmicky, problematic car for the masses. They have until 2020 to get it right because that's about when they'll actually start to produce more than 50,000 a year.

Quick Reply: Tesla X Falcon doors hubris...