Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Test Drive Notes...Colorado,Wrangler JL, CX5, GTI

Old 01-02-2019, 10:52 AM
CMK

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Last I heard VW is dead-set on keeping the manual option for the GTI specifically, though I have to admit I would rather have gotten the DSG. I've been disappointed in the 6MT in my GTI.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I came close to buying the GTI but couldn't stomach the price for getting one equipped the way I want. My dream GTI has the upgraded sound but no moonroof. Overall it's a fun car though.

Based on one of your comments I think a Colorado (or new Ranger) combined with a new Miata would be awesome.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:39 PM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

I'm just happy Mazda is finally offering their turbo engine in the CX-5. My wife may have been driving one if they had it a year or two ago as that was our major complaint when we test drove one, it was underpowered. Since then, she's taken over my LX and has grown to love it and all the space it offers, so we can't get one anymore.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:25 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

That's quite the range of cars. I remember you mentioning the 2 series before and made me take a look at them. Thing is though there arent many of them out there and the ones that are out there are a stones throw away from the m2 comp. Granted a decent sized stone throw.

I like the GTIs, I like manuals, I dont know if I like the manual gti, the dsg is just superior and as an all around car having an auto is tough to beat, and the dsg is fun enough when the turns get tighter and frequent. It really feels like vw is trying to convince people to not buy it without trying to make it obvious.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:50 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

You should test drive a Golf R because it's an awesome car. I test drove one this summer and it checked off most boxes for me. Although I was in the market for a weekend fun car so it didn't have to be practical for me. I ended up going a completely different direction by getting my S2000. But would still recommend the Golf R as a one to consider in your list.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:22 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

If you aren't so dead-set on a snow plow, I'd say perhaps look at a Grand Cherokee / Durango instead of the Jeep. Prices, ride quality, and amenities are generally better and they make acceptable DDs. Might let you go more to the fun side of the spectrum for a second car, like that Miata you keep eyeing.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:19 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

There was a new Black Edition Honda Ridgeline next to me at the post office yesterday. Stunning little pretend pickup truck (pretend 'cuz it can only tow 5000 pounds).

-- Chuck
Old 01-03-2019, 06:21 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
If you aren't so dead-set on a snow plow, I'd say perhaps look at a Grand Cherokee / Durango instead of the Jeep. Prices, ride quality, and amenities are generally better and they make acceptable DDs. Might let you go more to the fun side of the spectrum for a second car, like that Miata you keep eyeing.
Are Grands body-on-frame??????? Any specific model year range? I would be all over one of those. Did not know that was an option. That would be an easy car to find used at a decent price and spend more on the DD. I thought of Durango, just not really my thing. Looked at one on the floor of the Jeep dealer the other day.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:24 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by jetrep
I came close to buying the GTI but couldn't stomach the price for getting one equipped the way I want.
If it is still on your list, follow the "What did you pay" thread on VW Vortex. I think SE's with leather depending on transmission come in at between $32-33k sticker. You will see times during the year where, depending on incentives, people have picked them up in the $27k range without too much effort. Comes with pretty much everything (moon roof its standard) but adaptive dampers and nav. I think S models have been posted at deals near $20k at the end of the year. My dealer has two leftover 2018 S's I bet don't go for over $22 for either with a $28k sticker.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:37 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Are Grands body-on-frame??????? Any specific model year range? I would be all over one of those. Did not know that was an option. That would be an easy car to find used at a decent price and spend more on the DD. I thought of Durango, just not really my thing. Looked at one on the floor of the Jeep dealer the other day.
They are unibody now, but tow limits are high - 6,500-7,500lb by engine I think. GCs I believe accept mounts for front hitches too. This gen is like 7 years old now, so you can find used examples easily, and they are based on the Mercedes M class architecture, which is part of why they ride so nicely.

Quick Reply: Test Drive Notes...Colorado,Wrangler JL, CX5, GTI